Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/17/2003 5:18:09 AM EDT
I want to ditch the Century FCG in my '03 Sar-1. Anybody used the FSE FCG? If so, how is it? I think the RSA stuff looks really great I just don't know if I want to spend that much on a $300 rifle. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:38:18 AM EDT
RSA, it's worth the money.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 1:20:13 PM EDT
You can just fix the sins of the Century cheap US parts with FSE easy/modestly, but for superb feel and great adjustability I have 3 RSA sets for my collection.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 2:29:27 PM EDT
Thanks for the tip. The FSE parts are a big improvement over the century junk? Also, which is the best gas piston to use? i want to ditch the century piston. Is the Sheaphards Hook replacement plate from RSA worth it?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:31:13 PM EDT
Why do you want to change the gas piston?

The retainer plate is worth its weight in gold. Even after you have figured out the secret of the shepherds hook, it is still worth it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:42:14 PM EDT
The FSE parts are a big improvement over the century junk?

Hard to define because the parts Century puts into SARs for low cost US parts count compliance all vary a bit it their quality. Dredd223 had the best SAR stock trigger I ever felt, about as good as an avg AR trigger. But the RSA set offers single or 2-stage, weight, pull length, and overtravel adjustments, silky feel, and nobodies AR trigger does that for anywhere close to the $80 for a RSA set.
I am oddly comfortable with the hook, but the plate is nice.

Why mess with the piston?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:28:29 PM EDT
I guess i don't need to replace the piston. I hear a rumor, probably a stupid one that the finish starts to flake off and you start to have gas problems (and not like the ones you have after mexican food)! Thannks for the tip guys, I think I will go RSA.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:50:28 PM EDT
I clean the piston spotlessly clean after each shooting. This excessive cleaning probably does more damage to the finish than shooting it. Unless you are shooting corrosive ammo and do not clean accordingly - don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:01:03 PM EDT
I replaced my SAR-1 Century fire control group with an FSE set - much better trigger, although maybe not as smooth as a RSA set (I don't know, never having felt the RSA H/T/S.) Worked well for me.

I did replace the shepherd's hook with the RSA retainer plate, and the Mojo rear aperture sight is a definite improvement.

Leave the gas piston alone.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:38:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gman552:
I replaced my SAR-1 Century fire control group with an FSE set - much better trigger, although maybe not as smooth as a RSA set (I don't know, never having felt the RSA H/T/S.) Worked well for me.

I did replace the shepherd's hook with the RSA retainer plate, and the Mojo rear aperture sight is a definite improvement.

Leave the gas piston alone.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:15:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:39:12 PM EDT
ordered the rsa fcg and plate today. thanks again
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:38:26 PM EDT
Just got the RSA FCG. My goodness it almost seems wrong to make such a beautiful FCG for an AK. I have worked with about any semi FCG you can name and this is the nicest I have ever seen. Good thing Commies don't have goold ole' Yankee ingenuity I will tell you that. I can not be more pleased and I HIGHLY Recomend. Awesome stuff. I am very excited to see the FAL FCG they are working on. If they are this nice, the DSA stuff will go bye-bye and for me, that's a tough thing to say. RSA all the way!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:09:18 PM EDT
Part 1) But its is 30% of what I spent on my SAR!?!

Part 2) This was only $80?!?

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you are happy with one of the best parts of the Dark Side.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:24:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RS39:
Part 1) But its is 30% of what I spent on my SAR!?!

Part 2) This was only $80?!?

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you are happy with one of the best parts of the Dark Side.

It now makes me feel like I am building a rifle around the FCG. I have a new faith in this rifle now.
Top Top