Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/19/2004 3:51:00 AM EDT
I have a 74 muzzle brake installed on my SAR-2, the brake is welded to the FSB.  I want to replace the FSB with a threaded FSB and it looks like two pins are holding the FSB on.  How hard is this to do?  I've replaced the front sight on a Mini-14 one time and it was real easy to do.  Later, a freind ask my to help with taking the front sight off a Chi-com SKS and that was a disaster.  The pin flatten out after 2 hits and then wouldn't budge.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Also, has anyone else out there taken their muzzle brakes off and replaced them with a FS?  If so, what FS did ya go with?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Its not to bad.. Ive had to grind off a little on the side of the pins to get em out...Get a good punch and you should'nt have much trouble..If all else fails drill em...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Soak everything with Kroil for a couple of hours first. The pins will drive out easier.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Educate me on Kroil, what is it and where do I get it?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#4]
You can probably find Kroil at your local hardware store. It's a penetrating oil that loosens frozen parts. Some guys swear by it for removing copper fouling from barrels. It gets under the fouling and lifts it to be brushed out.

www.kanolabs.com/

Loosens Frozen Metal Parts!
An industry proven penetrating oil that has no equal. Quickly loosens
rusted nuts and bolts - frees frozen shafts, pulleys, etc. Penetrates to 1
millionth inch spaces, dissolves rust, lubricates, cleans and prevents rust.
Displaces moisture. The oil that creeps. Used by 480 of the Fortune
500 companies
!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks dude.  Does anyone have 24mm bulgarian FSB in stock right now?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
www.k-var.com probably has them.

Are you sure the pin spacing on a Bulgarian FSB will match the Romanian?

K-Var was going to start making Romanian 22mm FSBs. Might check to see if they are available yet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe the Bulgarian FSB will not fit the SAR 2-the barrels are different diameter.  You may need to wait until KVAR gets more Romanian bases in/makes their own.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.k-var.com probably has them.

Are you sure the pin spacing on a Bulgarian FSB will match the Romanian?

K-Var was going to start making Romanian 22mm FSBs. Might check to see if they are available yet.

They are now taking preorders by phone only for the Romanian 22mm FSBs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the heads up guys.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#10]
so are the FSB pins tapered?  Does it matter which side i drive from?  It kindof looks like they're a little larger on the right side but its hard to tell under the crappy paint.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Most people say drive from right to left-if you are looking down the muzzle.  However, if it looks like left to right is correct in your case, give the pins a few love taps and see what happens.

I ended up cutting the sight bases  off both my SAR 1and SAR 2.  It seems like everyone else that has posted directions/tutorials had a much easier time than I did.

Also, a press is very helpful in this exercise.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:55:24 AM EDT
[#12]
MiniZ thanks for your response.  I finished that little project up last night.  I first tried pounding them out from right to left with no luck, then i applied the majic kroil juice and an hour latter had no problem.  I used a pair of vice grips to hold the detent pin and spring in (after checking to ensure the cutout on the pin was orientated correctly) and i was done.

The K-Var brake i got ended up clocking a little to the right so that the gases will go up and slightly to the right.  I presume this is the way its supposed to be to help with full auto fire right?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top