Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/8/2012 3:37:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/8/2012 3:39:01 PM EST by mykrowyre]
Well, I used a .25" endmill in my drill press today to get the notch started in the virgin barrel. I cut like butter YAY! I did not have it perfectly square (cheap drill press in my garage) and it chewed into the barrel and trunnion off center (NO!). It wasn't drift or runout, but simply not aligned perfectly. I stopped but basically it's an egg but not all the way through, I ran my 7mm drill bit and then reamer through it just to clean it up so I could determine how much I Fd up and get it ready for a larger reamer. It looks ok, but the original barrel pin just drops in with slight finger pressure.

So I ordered a .3 reamer and a .314 reamer and matching pins and will try to get it sized for the next size up barrel pin(s).

Now, is it possible for a reamer to egg my trunnion? I could try to ream to the next size up myself but I can't guarantee the trunnion will be perfectly square when mounted up because I don't have a good home setup. I have a buddy with a real mill and I am thinking I should bring it to him to ream it instead of attempting to ream it myself on my HF pseudo drill press.

Also, BTW, I have a 5.45 go gauge .. anyone wanna use it in exchange for letting me borrow one in 5.56?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:00:49 AM EST
My- your Home-Gunsmithing course sure has been expensive!
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 5:59:00 PM EST
Sure has... but I've enjoyed it...if you aren't making mistakes you aren't learning anything.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:39:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By mykrowyre:
Sure has... but I've enjoyed it...if you aren't making mistakes you aren't learning anything.

You can say that again!
Some mistakes get expensive but you sure learn a lot from them.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:29:38 PM EST
Well I ran the reamer through it and it cleaned it up. Looks like I am good to go with the next size up.

Will be using a real drill press this time :D
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:52:29 PM EST
When building the AK47 platform
The drill press is your worst enemy.
a hand held electric drill will give better results
drill from both sides...meet in the middle...with smaler drills
then to pin size with final drill.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:00:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By ukgunguy:
When building the AK47 platform
The drill press is your worst enemy.

a hand held electric drill will give better results