Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/10/2006 6:10:55 PM EDT
Well guys? Are they the same rifle with just a different name for import reasons or a totally different gun altogether.

Stupid thread about the SVD may have pushed me into buying one of these beasts.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
well i have never handled one that said "romak III" the ones i have seen and the one i own all have "PSL" stamped on them,....

and i do recomend the PSL,...if you know what your doing and use the right ammo (wolf 148gr FMJ's or M-30(j) 174gr ammo) you will have alot of fun with this rifle.

also you may want to pony up for some more mags and a 8x POSP scope.

i am very happy with my PSL but i can not say anything good or bad about the romak III as i have never gotten my  hands on one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw the lastest Shotgun news and SOG and they have went down in price somewhat. I can get a PSL with mags and Scope (not sure on the power) for the 600 dollar mark.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I saw the lastest Shotgun news and SOG and they have went down in price somewhat. I can get a PSL with mags and Scope (not sure on the power) for the 600 dollar mark.

its the 4x scope,...not a bad price,....i paid out the nose 14mo ago,...but im happy with mine
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

its the 4x scope,...not a bad price,....i paid out the nose 14mo ago,...but im happy with mine

I've been waiting to get one, looks like now may be the best time to do so. Any corresive  ammo I should stay away from??
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
 I'm thinking of selling my only AR that I love so much to get one of these.  I'm afraid they'll be gone soon and just go up in price as the years go by.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Were there ever high cap mags made for these?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been waiting to get one, looks like now may be the best time to do so. Any corresive  ammo I should stay away from??

yes,..well,....kinda,...if it does not say in perfict english on the box of ammo that it is not corrosive,
treat it as corrosive,..which not big deal if you clean the rifle,.. and cleaning it is very easy because the PSL is just a AK on steriods. more important is to try and keep the bullet weight under 180gr,..suposably higher bullet grains will damage your rifle.

i have shot a few boxes of  brown bear 203gr. SP thru and aside from a monstrous recoil it was fine.
i am saving for a case of the "light ball" wolf 148gr. FMJ's which where made for the PSL/ROMAKIII/DRAGUNOV/MOSIN NAGANT owners here in the states

I'm thinking of selling my only AR that I love so much to get one of these. I'm afraid they'll be gone soon and just go up in price as the years go by.

i pawned off my ar-15 for a Arsenal SA M5s in 5.56,...couldent have been happier with doing that.
but if you sell yours to get one of these make sure you get enough cash to buy a few extra mags and a 8x scope

Were there ever high cap mags made for these?

no,.... just the 10rd mags that i know of,.... something about the the size of the rim on the case makes it impractical for a hi-cap(30-45rd) mags.

but it would be nice if i could figure a way to make a 50rd drum for it it would be pure bump-fire goodness!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I've heard some have scope rails that weren't installed very well, and that the scopes can't even be zeroed on those that weren't aligned right.  Is this true?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've heard some have scope rails that weren't installed very well, and that the scopes can't even be zeroed on those that weren't aligned right.  Is this true?

i have not heard of this with the actual romanian built rifles,....it may be a thing with the kit built guns though.

and yes if the side rail is improperly mounted, you will catch hell getting a zero.

i had put a POSP side rail mount on one of my mosins so i could scope it for deer season,...needless to say i should have taken my time and done it right the first time,..but it is fixed now, as a matter of fact i still need to tie off a loose end on that rifle.(paint)

on my PSL i can take my 8xPOSP scope off and put it back on as much as i want,..as long as i make sure to slide it all the way forward each time i keep my zero.

and the othere thing with this is that you have to make sure you have a SVD/PSL style scope to put on a SVD/PSL scope rail. the SVD/PSL scopes should not be able to go onto a AK style rail.

however,..............a AK style scope can go about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way onto a SVD/PSL rail,..and it will even lock in place,....but it will not hold a zero for s#!t,. and it may fall off of the rail completely
(do not ask how i know this)

also with the scope you have to adjust the tightness of the locking lever to work with your rifle,..it is very,..very simple to do and must be done for each scope no matter if it is a AK style or SVD/PSL style.

hope all that helps
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:09:58 AM EDT
[#11]
you guys need to do some more reading.. romak-3 , pls, ssg ,,are all the same gun
except the ssg also came in 308 or 762x54...   what is confusing it that there are some psl's
that were stamped FPK,,  these are kit assembled rifles that were assembled by TN guns ..
these are the guns that have the scope rail issues and sometimes just thrown together
for a quick sale..  some of these are ok some were missing pieces and had other problems..

anyone wanting one of these guns better look them over real good before you buy one..
the origional romanian guns will be stamped made in romania  

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top