Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2003 8:14:58 AM EDT
which do you prefer? is one a better design than the other? I think the German & Romanian
sidefolders are nice and strong, there also very compact and have a solid lock up, Ive never shot an AK with the Chinese type underfolding design, does it work well? I heard
they tend to get loose with useage?
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The underfolding stock is horribly uncomfortable to shoot with the stock extended. Side full stock folder is the only way to go. For example:

From www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/weapon.shtml
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone like the ace folding stocks?
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The Ace stocks have a generally good feel, but they are not as sturdy as the a military stock. But, they are sturdy enough.

I personally prefer the chinese underfolder over the east german side folder. It is hard to get a cheek weld on a Chinese underfolder, but on the other hand they are angled so that you can get a very good sight picture. The east german side folders are a tad short. You can get a cheek weld but its damn uncomfortable and the sight picture is not good. If the stock was a tad longer and angled downward some more it would be a good choice, but alas they are short and have no angle.

My vote, chicom underfolder.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Cosmeticaly you cant beat an underfolder, having shot just about every kind of folding stock on an AKM, I prefer the standard butt style folder, ala AK74, then the Krink "triangle" and finaly the under...I just cant abide by those wire things that E.Germany put on their guns. The grenade launching pad sold through K-Var slips into the groove on the underfolder and makes a far more comfortable shoot, as does the snap-on cheek peice that attaches to the left strut of the underfolder and fits so as to not be obtrustive in the operation of the stock. I've got both on my pinned-open Romanian underfolder and they make it a very handy setup....
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the East German or Romanian folders to the down folding stock.The down folding stock has that traditional AK look,but,the East German/Romanian wire folder has a positive lock and IMHO is much more comfortable in an extended shooting session.Another plus for the East German/Romanian stock is the ease of installation on a standard trunnion.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]
My vote:

...of course, it's the only one I've fired, so I can't really give my opinion on any other folder. Some kind of rubber pad would probably be better. Maybe I could get a piece of tire tread and cut it to fit...   nah nevermind...  I think I'll leave it alone ;)
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you fold them down with the mag in?
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You can with a 30 rnd mag but I don't think you can with a 40 rnder and definately not with a drum.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 3:47:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Excellent point! You can fold them down with a 30 rd mag. The "buttplate" is "U" shaped to go around the mag. Now if I put a piece of tire tread on there...  it wouldn't work. Thanks for the insight
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent point! You can fold them down with a 30 rd mag. The "buttplate" is "U" shaped to go around the mag. Now if I put a piece of tire tread on there...  it wouldn't work. Thanks for the insight

You could put the tire tread just around the U portion.

I thought it as a U, but I wasn't sure. Looks odd. It seems like the U would be very uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the side folding Romanian, vey nicely made piece of equipment, IMHO. Have had it permanently pinned open. Anyway it doesn't ever get very cold here, so metal to cheek weld not an issue, but I will let you know - still need some parts:

My question is, does anybody know of a source for the two machine screws that hold the stock trunion to the receiver? It didn't come with those screws. I can go to home depot and do trial and error, but would prefer the originals if I could find them.

Thanks in advance for any help!

DR
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 4:57:41 AM EDT
[#13]
AA-ok has them but the shipping will be like $10 for $2 worth of screws.

http://www.aa-ok.com/AK_Stocks/stock.html

On another web, I was told 10-32 would work or to take the stock to ACE and go through the metric boxes until I find one that works, both valid suggestions I guess.

Hope my stock comes tomorrow(TAPCO), I don't have the rifle for it yet but want to get the screws and see what it looks like/how to pin it open, etc.

I was going to use that foam rubber pipe insulation zip stripped to mine for winter use. I plan to do the same for the krink style non-folder on my Maadi.

Does anyone know if the RPB folding stock pad that velcros on is any good? Will it work on the Romanian folder?
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top