BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/19/2002 7:02:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Fire.

I have a Chi-com SKS that still oozes cosmoline.

I have been unable to get the wood off my SKS for years.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC their is a screw on the trigger group. remove the trigger group and the action should lift right out of the stock.
hmmm, perhaps it's a lever.
years since i had an sks, but i don't remember it being espicially difficult to do. hope i've helped.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#3]
found the manual! can you believe it.
pbrstreetgang = packrat

look on the back side of the trigger guard near the grip. opposite the trigger and safety. there is a small take-down button that you can press with a pointed object. manual recommends cocking the hammer first.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]

I got that far on my own, what I mean is how do you separate the barrel from the stock?

Once the trigger group is removed, and the magazine, the rifle should lift out of the stock.

Of course, with the amount of cosmoline gluing it all together I had to use a rubber mallet and just keep gently tapping on the stock while holding the barrel to get one of my Yugo's apart.

The other one I let sit in the hot sun for about an hour in the middle of July which warmed the metal enough to melt the cosmoline down to a less glue-like consistency.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the same issue...make sure the bayonet is extended first, then put some rubber-gripped pliers against the receiver, and gently tap it out of the wood stock.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
With respect to the take-down tab next to the trigger guard, you *may* need to engage the safety to be able to move the tab forward enough to pop it out. I know this is necessary on both of my Chinese SKS rifles. I haven't torn down my Yugo yet, so I'm not sure about that one.

Plinker out.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top