Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/23/2005 7:40:51 AM EDT
I'm doing a screw build and I was drilling out the front trunnion rivets when I drilled into the barrel on probably all 4 holes.  I had the drill press set and had drilled them all before I realized I was getting too deep.

How much is too much when you've done this?  I can measure exactly how far I went into it, but I'm guessing the deepest point is maybe halfway through.

Where do I go from here?  I didn't want to pull the barrel, but I may have to now, just to see how far I fu*ked it up.

thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#1]
If done on all four I would pull the barrel to see the damage.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#2]
barrels are cheap.....www.centerfiresystems.com
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]
your done w/ that bbl
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't chance it, for the cost of another barrel just get one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
How deep did you drill into the barrel? If its just a tiny bit, then I wouldnt worry about it. If you pull the barrel, look at the channel that is cut for the barrel pin. If its not as deep as that , it shouldnt be a problem.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]
It may not be as bad as I first thought.  I hammered the barrel pin out, and later today I'll hammer the barrel and see what it looks like.

I was going to do a screw build, but now that I'm pulling the barrel, I'm going to do the rivets.  Wish me luck..  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#7]
This is why you should always pull the barrel.  Pulling out and reinstalling the barrel can be done with a minimum amount of tools.... less than the cost of a new barrel or kit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, on my first build, I had every intention to do a screw build, but once I realized how easier a rivet build was going to be, I changed my mind.  I just completed pulling the barrel on my second build tonight and have already accomplished the majority of the rivetting (just gotta drill out the rear trunion rivets) and reinstalled the barrel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/knobcreek/IMG_4759.jpg
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#9]
UPDATE..  I pushed the barrel out and I didn't drill it at all!  Sweeeeeeeeet!

I only left one TINY divot, like 2mm wide.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats good to hear. On my first build, I did a screw build, and was also worried that I drilled too far and in to the barrel. If you look at the screws that you are using, the length of the shaft of the screw (minus a little) is as far as you can drill. That small divot is no problem at all.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thats good to hear. On my first build, I did a screw build, and was also worried that I drilled too far and in to the barrel. If you look at the screws that you are using, the length of the shaft of the screw (minus a little) is as far as you can drill. That small divot is no problem at all.

Now that you have it out you might as well make you a bolt cutter rivet tool and rivet that biatch....its really easier than fooling with the screws.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#12]
is riveting really easier? i just assumed a screw build would be easiest.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have a bench grinder, spend 20 min (tops) grinding a set of bolt cutter rivet smashers. Then you will no have to go through all the careful threading of the trunion. AND, you can do the job right.

You can smash the rear tang rivets with a hammer, anvil and punch.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#14]
My second build was with rivets. I recently got my rivet squeezer jaws from a weaponeer group buy, but they wont fit the 24 inch squeezers I have, so I bought a 18 inch set, but they dont seem to go together enough. I tightened down the screw, and then totally removed it, but they still dont seem to go close enough.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like someone ground a little too much metal off. A good time to add a piece of metal with a divet in it to cup the rivet head....

You could weld it, or lacking a welder, probably even braze a piece on there with a Mapp Gas torch.

Or you could send it to a nice ArfCommer to weld it on.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:21:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm going for the rivets.  The only reason I was thinking screws was so I wouldn't have to pull the barrel.  Now that it's out, I'll go rivets.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top