Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/21/2005 4:24:38 PM EDT
After many years of denial, I have come to a startling conclusion.  Rem Oil sucks!
A year and a half ago, I thoroughly cleaned my Sig-Sauer P228 that I keep loaded around the house for home defense.  After cleaning the gun and rinsing with solvent, I then sprayed the ENTIRE weapon with aerosol Rem Oil.  Not trusting it, as I've always considered it to be too thin for my liking, I then came behind the aerosol and directly applied LIQUID Rem Oil from a squeeze bottle to the slide rails and other pressure points.
I then put the gun over the TV on the entertainment center where it remained for 1 and a half years....  When I took it shooting recently, I intentionally did not re-lube it to test the integrity of Rem Oil.
Well..................
The fucking gun jammed!  My beloved Sig, that I have always bragged about its flawless and unparalelled reliablity jammed!  It jammed 3 times out of 50.  It has NEVER jammed before in 2000 rounds.  This was totally unacceptable for the weapon I have depended on to save my life many times in the past.
I took it home and found that the slide rails were as dry as a popcorn fart!
Rem Oil evaporates and leaves behind NO LUBRICATION WHATSOEVER!
Don't use it!

I can recall many other questionable experiences in the past about Rem Oil, but suffice it to say that I will only use it as a final rinse to drive brake parts cleaner from the mechanisms before applying a REAL OIL.  At the moment I am using Mobile 1 Synthetic motor oil applied from an old printer ink refill injector bellows thing.  Works flawlessly!

Dont rely on Rem Oil to lubricate!
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#1]
BreakFree only for me.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Break Free has never let me down in 26 years.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Ditto on the CLP for the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:48:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I use CLP only on my ARs.

I use Tetra grease on most of my other guns, except the AKs and Glock which get Mobil 1 because it doesn't really matter with them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#5]
 Good test, good post.  Let us know how the Mobil works out for you, I use it too.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I maintain my 200+/- gun collection (and my family's guns as well) almost exclusively with RemOil and have done so for years without problems.  YMMV, of course (and obviously has).
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#7]
i use remington oil sometimes. Remington oil is ok for me but i prefer  light grease for my rails and cpl inside my bolts and pins and springs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#8]
RoyCo CLP
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 3:04:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
RoyCo CLP

I hate that shit.  It stinks to high heaven, and doesn't seem to lube as well as Break Free.  It did get the contract from the military though, so it must meet the specs.  That's the only reason I ever touched the crap, it was issued. Please tell me that you either are in the military and, um, "aquired" a bottle, or that it was just so cheap that you couldn't resist.  Just for hte smell alone, I'd choose Break Free.

I usually use Tetra now.  Seeing how well it works on a few different things.  I like the fact that there is a grease and an oil so if they get mixed on a gun, they should be compatible.  I'd have tried TW-25B, but that is like twice the price.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#11]
     If we're talking lubrication, forget Remoil. Also blows the goat in the rust prevention department. Sorry Remington but get back in the lab and don't come out until you've got something worthy.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Remington should find a different supplier.  If you look at the MSDS for RemOil, it's prepared by the MFR and it's not Remington (I forget who)
The MFR for the Rem CLP is Royco, who prepares the MSDS for that product.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up a couple squeezy bottles, and just couldn't get over how thin the stuff is.  I use it around the house anymore on knives and tools and such, but I'm still using Fp10 for firearms.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Seems like every manufacture has thier own lubrication recomendations, unfortunately I have to use a couple different agents to get the job done, whatever works best for the gun.  I use CLP on my AR, Mobil one on the Kalish's, Militec on the Glockenschpiel. etc... you get the idea.

One thing though I usually wipe my weapons down and give them a look over quite frequently,  I don't feel that it is prudent to leave a weapon for an extended amount of time without simple perfunctory maintenance and expect it to perform.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:51:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I use Break Free CLP for most things AR related. Last summer I used Mobil 1 on my M16 before I went to Bulletfest, and fired over 2000 rounds through it that weekend without cleaning it. When I cleaned it after I got home, it was obvious that the Mobil 1 worked GREAT - no signs of any wear whatsoever, all the crud wiped right off, and the copper fouling in the barrel was easier to remove than normal. I dont' trust it for long term storage or rust prevention (yet) and I still lube with CLP 99% of the time, but it was impressive how the Mobil 1 stayed put and dealt with the heat from back to back mag dumps all weekend. I plan to continue using it on my MG's.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Sigs should run fine dry.

I would question the ammo you used, before jumping to conclusions about Rem Oil.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:13:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I run Breakfree CLP exclusively...and their "Rapid fire weapon" stuff that thicker on my bolt, rails, and slides.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
One thing though I usually wipe my weapons down and give them a look over quite frequently,  I don't feel that it is prudent to leave a weapon for an extended amount of time without simple perfunctory maintenance and expect it to perform.

+1
Please note that despite some of the stuff you read here this statement applies to the Kalashnikov system as well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Please note that despite some of the stuff you read here this statement applies to the Kalashnikov system as well.

True.. They're models of reliability and all, but getting rust stains all over every time you shoot it just sucks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A year and a half ago, I thoroughly cleaned my Sig-Sauer P228 that I keep loaded around the house for home defense.  I then put the gun over the TV on the entertainment center where it remained for 1 and a half years....  When I took it shooting recently, I intentionally did not re-lube it to test the integrity of Rem Oil.
Well..................
The fucking gun jammed!  My beloved Sig, that I have always bragged about its flawless and unparalelled reliablity jammed!  It jammed 3 times out of 50.  It has NEVER jammed before in 2000 rounds.  This was totally unacceptable for the weapon I have depended on to save my life many times in the past.
Dont rely on Rem Oil to lubricate!

Nothing personal, but I personally won’t oil a gun and put it on a shelf for a year and a half, that I was going to depend on for my and my families’ personal protection without taking it out practicing with it a least once a month if not more. I want to get as much shooting time in on a gun that I depended on for my life.  I’m a pretty good shot, but to me practice is more important them the gun you use.  I certainly wouldn’t stick my go too gun someplace with out taking it down and oiling it and wiping it down every month or so.  JMHO
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Super huge +1
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I agree, RemOil is pretty crappy. It is subcontracted, not made by Remington, so don't blame them... but it is pretty useless.

And I give a massive, atomic +1 to the gun statement. Take care of your gun if you want it to take care of you. We all like the thought of a defensive pistol that shoots no matter what we do to it, but unless you carry a Krink, that ain't happening. All guns need some TLC, and while an AK will fire underwater upside down surrounded by poop inside a sharks body with a barrel full of cement and ammo that was made then thousand years ago... you won't have that accuracy you need to save your life. Treat your weapon with respect. If you don't respect it, you shouldn't trust your families lives to it.

One more thing maschinengewehr... you joined this site in March of 2005... how the heck could you have always been bragging about your "reliable Sig" when you only shot it on this site for two or three months before bedding it on your TV set for a year and a half? Were you guessing about it being reliable?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:17:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I use rem oil to great effect.  I do not use it to preserve guns or rely upon it for long term lubrication so I don't have the mentioned problems.  I use it because it is a light lubricant, especially when it is cold (I'm in Alaska).  If you misuse a product, you are going to have a problem, rem oil was not the proper oil to lube a gun that is going to sit there that long.  I do not use it as a preservative, it's not designed for that, it's a light lubricant.

At -30 or colder (not including wind chill), BF CLP is going to give you problems the Rem Oil won't.  Conversely if I am shooting an MG or it's hot out, whatever, I don't use Rem Oil, I use something more appropriate like CLP or Grease.

Use the proper lubricant for the specific situation, don't blame the product for improper use or lack of maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#24]
The thing is, RemOil is marketed heavily in places where it turns to water. Its one thing to be a commercial cold weather lubricant, another to be sold as a universal lubricant if it only works well at low temperatures. We have a 60-70 degree average here so I guess that is why it stank for me. By the way, I've been to Juneau, Alaska is a beautiful place.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I once relied on Remington Oil to protect my MAK-90.  When it exhibited signs of surfice rust, I quickly changed that.  I now use Mobile 1 too because it is cheap and it appears to work!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I use RemOil some but not as a lubricant. I use FP10 for that. RemOil is mostly used for when I clean a gun the first time. I spray down all the parts when I am finished to lightly coat them with an oil and then I wipe them dry. It works great for that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#27]
That's an excellent use for it.  When blasting parts with carb cleaner type products, they are left dry without any protection and you want to hit it with a minimal layer of lube to cover and fill the microscopic pores yet you don't want to have a heavy coating of fouling/dirt attracting lube on all your parts.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

<snip> atomic +1 <snip>

this has been added to danpass' library of exclamations

and I use Sentry Solutions products (paritcularly the Hi-Temp Grease) and CLP (mostly for its solvent action, bonus that it lubes and protects afterward)

edit:  the CLP is use is BreakFree (liquid, in the transparent bottle so I can make sure it is always in proper solution)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
edit:  the CLP is use is BreakFree (liquid, in the transparent bottle so I can make sure it is always in proper solution)

Did you mean so that you know you have the right product or that it is homogenous and doesn't need to be shaken?  If it's the latter, from what I understand it's homogenous these days - the teflon was taken out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I use TriFlow and it seems to work really well. I'm a locksmith and we use this stuff in locks so there's never any gunky buildup to fuck up the tight tolerances ...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#31]

BreakFree only for me.

+1

I like RemOil for flushing out bolts prior to using real lubrication when I don't want to take the bolt apart. That's about it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you mean so that you know you have the right product or that it is homogenous and doesn't need to be shaken?  If it's the latter, from what I understand it's homogenous these days - the teflon was taken out.

The last clear bottle I saw at the gun show had a layer of "white, milky substance" at the bottom.  After shaking (for a while) it finally started to dissolve back "into solution".  It is my belief that this was the teflon (having read in other places the reasons why some do not like CLP)

edit:  being the gun show and all I do not know how 'old' those bottles were.

edit2:  Says it contains Teflon, is there another 'version'?  www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1683&title=BREAK-FREE+CLP
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Danpass, it is my understanding that the current version either no longer contains teflon or is designed to be homogenous so it doesn't not need to be shaken to mix it back up, the teflon stays properly dispersed and suspended.

In anycase, teflon is not something you want in your barrel, at least not a benchresters barrel as it can affect accuracy.  For the average user it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't want to sound stupid but when you guy's refer to Mobil 1, are you refering to the motor oil or what for the AK's, I have been using the TW25B. The stuff is kinda over priced and I don't really like the thinnest of it I don't use the Rem oil either.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes, Mobil-1 is referring to automotive motor oil.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Yes, Mobil-1 is referring to automotive oil.

I wouldn't feel too bad using generic 30-weight in a pinch for the AK
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I use RemOil some but not as a lubricant. I use FP10 for that. RemOil is mostly used for when I clean a gun the first time. I spray down all the parts when I am finished to lightly coat them with an oil and then I wipe them dry. It works great for that.

When you say "clean a gun for the first time" do you mean before or after shooting?  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Before, to remove the preservative.  Clean it and oil it before you shoot it for real, especially get any gunk out of the barrel and gas system.

Thanks HeavyMetal.  Taking the SERB out for a test drive Friday and will use my Rem oil to clean it before I oil it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I primarily use Tetra products for lubrication.  I use the Rem oil in a spray can to hose parts down to get a light coat on them before wiping them down.

I've found Rem oil to be very useful for assembly and disassembly purposes, as well as light cleaning.

I really like the fact that Tetra leaves a coating on things even after you wipe them down.  I can slick something down with it and it stays that way, even when dry.

I got really turned off of Break Free when I was in the Army.  Armorers loved to squirt that stuff up in the M16s and it'd attract sand and dirt.  I used to have to disassemble my M16 and wipe that crap out of it before any serious shooting or I'd have stoppages.

I'm sure, used in moderation, it's fine, but I just lost confidence in it and never regained it.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#42]
CLP and FP-10!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#43]
CLP for me.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top