Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/9/2006 3:21:52 PM EDT
I know the Russians made a bunch, but do any match the Romi type on a SAR2?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the Romanian side optics rail is designed most like the OLD Russian rail. The newest Russian rail has "less curves" to it. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along and give you a more precise answer (and call me wrong)!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Tomovich is right.

Tantal has a great photo (as usual) showing some different types of side rails:

tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/media2/platesfive01.jpg

Not all of the ones in Tantal's photo are Russian, but the newer Russian types are on the left.  The ones that look like the older Russian type are on the right.  There is a style that's  even older that isn't shown in the photo.  I have a pretty close copy of it, but don't have any photos handy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, but which one is like the Romi?   Is the old Russian ones for the 74 or AKM?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The Romy sideplate looks like the older (but not the oldest) Russian AK74 sideplate.

The photos of Russian AKMs with sideplate scope mounts that I have seen don't look anything like the plates used on AK74s.

The Romy rear trunnion on the SAR series is AKM pattern rivet spacing.  The Romy sideplate scope mount is made to fit an AKM pattern rear trunnion.

All of the imported Bulgy AK74 rear trunnions that I have seen are AK74 spaced rivets (not the same as AKM).

So what parts/rifle do you want to use the Romy sideplate on?  

If you want to use the side plate with a Bulgy AK74 parts kit then you will have to substitute an AKM type rear trunnion or use the similar looking Bulgarian sideplate (which is labeled 74-BU in Tantal's photo) that is made for the AK74 rivet spacing.

HTH

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:54:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, my project is a SAR2 receiver, which has the stock side plate.  The rest of it is a bulgy 74 kit and Russian side folder.  I am trying to Russianize it and give it an historical time frame.  And of course the age old question...wood or plum
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think that the rivet spacing on the Russian folding rear trunnion will line up with your SAR2 sideplate.  At least mine doesn't.  I used the Bulgy side plate referenced above on a similar build.

I also seem to remember that the Romy SAR2 front trunnions are the same diameter as AKM front trunnions which is different from the AK74 front trunnions.  That may complicate installing the Bulgy barrel if that's what you have planned.

If you're going with the Romy sideplate & Bulgy barrel parts, then I think wood furniture would be more "correct".
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a pro doing the work.  I guess I will go with wood over the plum.   Thanks!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top