Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/26/2004 6:44:56 PM EDT
you know, one that you throw around trying to get that 10% finish like you see in the Iraqi pictures with blue tape holding mags and pieces together?

i plan on getting an WASR for that purpose..

something about a beat to hell ak looks great.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Im looking forward to making my WASR 5%....
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
My Preban Norinco is just about there.. Finish worn from the stocks, blueing gone or faded.. 10k+ rounds and seldom cleaned.. And shes looking good...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My Preban Norinco is just about there.. Finish worn from the stocks, blueing gone or faded.. 10k+ rounds and seldom cleaned.. And shes looking good...

i think we at ar15.com will need pics of that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm seriously thinking of never putting a finish on my '65 kit, leave the receiver and the barrel extension bare metal.  That, and the finish wearing off of the original parts already should get it on it's way.
I decided from Day 1 that it would never be cleaned. I am determined to see how long it can last with no attention whatsoever.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
my SAR 1 came with bad finish.  i'd like to dump a few mags through it this winter and then throw it in the snow to cool it off.  i keep all my stuff in nice condition, but i do like to use it.. a lot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#7]
another question about beaters.

do you think people wear an AK to the point that they feel they cant sell it?

most of the AKs i see in online auctions are in good condition....none less than  80%.

do you think that people just think they are stuck with it and dont bother selling it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Kinda like these?

cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51115140.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=CACF07A1008DBC1749059107A38B1F01A9C30E9B9B114CE8

all i get is a red X Lumpy.....

damn i want to see some beaters!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
just did the Properties copy and paste method.

yes. those are the beaters i'm thinking of.

very off topic...

how do they make thier head gear so large?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#11]
My WASR is my fishing gun.  Never know who you're going to meet trespassing down at the fishing hole.  Stray dogs and such too.  

I let out the sling and wear it across the front of my chest, busting thru brush and bamboo, get there and lay it down on the sand, then slog back through it to the truck.  Never had any problems with it.  I usually oil it down when I get done just to keep it from rusting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish I could remember where I heard this story, about some Vietnam war GI who had a captured AK in his locker, he shot the hell out of it one day, never cleaned it, threw it in a locker, and 6 months later came back to shoot it. The bolt was stuck closed, so he kicked it open with his boot, and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I dont baby any of my guns.

+1
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#16]
My  beater AK is a SAR1 my 12 year old son refinished.  Unfortunately he did a pretty good job, several coats of stock wax and it looks better than the day the poor romanians dipped it in a bucket of varnish.   Damn.....   I suppose I could drop it in the pacific for a couple days and see how it comes out....  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:02:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:29:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think the whole point of an AK is that they are beaters, that applies to military style rifles in general, it amuses me to see folks babing thier AR's, AK's M1A's and other similar wepaons, when the damn things were designed from the word go to have the hell beat out of them. What I find the funniest is when the same guys who baby thier guns start trying to tell me how all of thier guns are reliable and none has ever jammed on them! Well no shit, a gun that has never been wet, never been covered in mud, never been dropped out of a truck, never been use to pound a tent stake, and it works, well color me impressed. When I was in the Army I was issued several weapons, and they had all been beat to shit and put back together god only knows how many times, and I can count the number of jams I had on two hands and still be able to hold my canteen, now that is reliable (and they shot straight for the most part as well).

+1

It cracks me up on the other AK forum to see all of the people who paint and bake their SARs.  My SAR3 has the worst finish I've ever seen on a gun and I couldn't give a shit less.  It shoots straight and functions well.  Totally serves the purpose of giving me an AK that uses the same ammo as my ARs.  Doing anything cosmetic to an AK beyond preventing obvious rust is a waste of time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:53:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:01:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
it amuses me to see folks babing thier AR's, M1A's and other similar wepaons, when the damn things were designed from the word go to have the hell beat out of them.

Are you suggesting that I throw a $750 Bushmaster into mud or drop a Springfield M1A from a one-story roof?

I don't know about you, but $339 was a huge investment for me... I treat my SAR-1 like a fucking king. Everytime I shoot it, I break it down, clean EVERYTHING (yes, even the gas piston, hammer, rails, you name it) and lube it.

Does it need it? No. But do I want it to last? Yes. By damn, I will get every penny out of my $300.

That said, treating an AR or M1A like shit? Jesus, man, I'd have to store a $750 gun in a concrete bunker in a climate controlled clean room protected from NBC elements.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
it amuses me to see folks babing thier AR's, M1A's and other similar wepaons, when the damn things were designed from the word go to have the hell beat out of them.

Everytime I shoot it, I break it down, clean EVERYTHING (yes, even the gas piston, hammer, rails, you name it) and lube it.

Does it need it? No. But do I want it to last? Yes. By damn, I will get every penny out of my $300.

His point was that your AK will last just as long if you clean it as if you dont clean it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I tend to beat on my SAR-1 the hardest.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I've got a Maddi that hasn't been"cleaned" in over 10 years!!!!!!! Runs like a top
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I was thinking about buying something cheap like a WASR of SAR and putting a sidefolder on it after the ban. Then I would throw it behind the seat of my work truck. That would make a perfect Zombie/WWIII gun!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Have to tell you about my Maadi its a MISR 90 by Century, came with thumbhole laminated stock slant cut receiver,front handguards has fire damage, the finish on the receiver was some sort of black paints it peeled off years ago, rest is blued and still has some finish, but the rifle does not have any matching part numbers at all, and ever time you pull the Trigger it goes boom never had any problems with it.....Maadi made some of the Crudest Receivers for Century I ever saw, must have heat treated them with a candle or a match, but the rails and ejector show very minor wear the headspace is still in spec. tried to sell it several times for $200.00 but never could so a few days ago I decided to update it with new AMD 65 stock and lower handguard with the grip, still trying to get the rivets out of the 65 stock, them things are nasty can't press them so am drilling them out. used 3 bits already.??Gonna put in a new fire control group and gas piston to make it 922r compliant.. maybe even a new paint job, saw a SAR-1 with the folding stock for sale before for around $300.00, so I will have around $500.00 in this $200.00 rifle.....Sa-La-Vive I think thats how you say it. A Beater Yeah,,,but in 10 years it has never let me down...AK-47..... Best Point and Click Device ever Made.......If I had read this theard before I tore it down I would have left it like it was...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#28]
This thread is worthless without pics!!

C'mon, lets see some of these beaters!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top