Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/18/2003 4:34:03 PM EDT
 I have been working on some of the ideas I have seen here and on the other board and am now ready to post what I have found.

Hesse I hear has come out with this for around $500  Saiga rifle,$160 Inner-Ord. RPK barrel assy,$40 Inner-Ord. RPK stock set,$50 Home Depot 1/2x1/8 C.R.S.(to make the RPK trunnion bulge)  Will post after I finish building.

What I have built is a .223 VEPR with the gas block, front sight, and lower handguard bracket taken from a Inner-Ord. RPK barrel assy.  The gas tube and lower handguard come from the Inner-Ord. RPK stock set.  The stock I made myself from Baltic Birch plywood after looking at the Valmet Mod.78 and realizing it has the same angled cut receiver the VEPR has.  I did not feel I was up to welding the VEPR receiver, and was to cheap to pay to have it done, so a Russion stock was out of the question  When I saw a picture of the Valmet RPK I knew I would be satisified with how it would look.

As it is now, the barrel was never removed from the trunnion, rivets were not touched.  The only thing I did was press a few parts off and on the barrel. (and shorten the cleaning rod)

Next I will get a 5.45x39 RPK barrel ass`y from K-Var, I see last night they offer them now.  It should be a simple matter of switching barrels with a 5.45 VEPR ($600 gun + $300 barrel vs $800 kit + ? receiver and build)

I should also say that of the six RPK barrel assy`s from Inner-Ord. one slugs the same size as my 7.62 VEPR and will be pressed on one some day. Another is close enough that it will be used to build a Saiga RPK (I belive it will need to be turned down to fit the Saiga trunnion)

If someone could post some pictures I could show you how the VEPR turned out along with a saiga that has a new gas block and front sight.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top