Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/3/2006 6:09:54 AM EDT
I put together a nice RRA lower about 2 months ago,I used a friends upper and put 4 mags through it. I knew that I'd never use the gun for entry work or really even need a 16" barreled AR for anything other than a range toy. Well 3 weeks ago I bought my first AK,larger round,better CQB weapon IMO and Hell it just looks better. Plus almost everyone that I know has an AR,so do I really need one to? I mean if something really really bad were to happen and ppl had to use their own weapons to secure the nation/countryside agains an unknown aggresor would I need to have the same type of weapon as everyone else (ease of finding parts/mags/ammo).  :Tinfoil hat smilie:

Maybe I should keep the lower and buy a 20" or 24" varminter upper for it and make it a nice long range weapon.

Hell I don't know what to do,maybe since I work at a gunshop and deal with so many ARs everyday that I'm sick of them. Everyone wanting lasers,EoTechs and crappy add ons just made me tired of seeing them on a daily basis,so do I really want to own one?

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
No! You need both!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree, you do need both. AKs and ARs are apples and oranges, both fit a specific need. Now you need an FAL and an M1A. Throw in a Garand, and you're set.

JoeLad
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm getting my Grandfathers Garand when he passes.

I wouldn't mind having a CETME though
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes,It's always better to have both. I have several of each.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually, you need 3 or 4 of each.  At least.  Different configurations.

As an example. Your AK.  You might have one with a standard wooden stock.  You'll get bored.  You'll see something you like better.  So you get some laminated wood.  Then you see an AK74 with plum or some other color synthetic furniture.  So you get one of those.  What about those sexy looking underfolders?  Another one.  Ad infinitum.

ARs.  Same thing.  Mid-length.  M4.  20" A4gery.  Lightweight.  Whenever you get tired of mediocre AK accuracy and non-modularity, less then stellar ergonomics, you'll grab the AR.  Then when you feel like yelling "Wolverines" and holding your AK over your head, you'll grab it.

Kind of like sticking to one breakfast cereal.  It just ain't gonna happen.

Finally, think of the children.  Do you have kids?  Do you think you ever will?  How many?  How many guns were available to your father that are no longer there or have become horribly expensive?  Do you think your son or daughter will be able to buy an AR or AK in 15 years?  Build your collection so you have something to pass along to the next generation.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Actually, you need 3 or 4 of each.  At least.  Different configurations.

As an example. Your AK.  You might have one with a standard wooden stock.  You'll get bored.  You'll see something you like better.  So you get some laminated wood.  Then you see an AK74 with plum or some other color synthetic furniture.  So you get one of those.  What about those sexy looking underfolders?  Another one.  Ad infinitum.

ARs.  Same thing.  Mid-length.  M4.  20" A4gery.  Lightweight.  Whenever you get tired of mediocre AK accuracy and non-modularity, less then stellar ergonomics, you'll grab the AR.  Then when you feel like yelling "Wolverines" and holding your AK over your head, you'll grab it.

Kind of like sticking to one breakfast cereal.  It just ain't gonna happen.

Finally, think of the children.  Do you have kids?  Do you think you ever will?  How many?  How many guns were available to your father that are no longer there or have become horribly expensive?  Do you think your son or daughter will be able to buy an AR or AK in 15 years?  Build your collection so you have something to pass along to the next generation.  

Good points, I'm 30 and married but do not have any kids right now,infact really don't plan on having any. Honestly all I need is a basic $400 upper and it's done.

..but $400 will buy another AK
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#7]
yes you need one of each (at least!)

ARs for precision, mods, CQB work

AKs for everything else
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I really don't  iss any of the AR's I've had over the last 30 plus years... but that's just me.  Firearms - it's hard to go wrong with any of them.  I like to look at money spent as an investment .  In the past, I've sold several to fund other things, and when I was much younger, sold them to help me survive.  Anydecnet firearms fits into the good investment catagory - given time, they all go up, some much more than others.  The first new SP-1 I bought cost $175.00 :)  First AK ran $219.00......better in most cases than money in the bank....how I look at it anyway....WHen I was younger, I bought everything I could get my hands on, now I'm a little more picky.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:25:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

man your missing out! I wouldn't trade my garand for any AK. The garand is a rifle that has it's own soul.  When you get one you'll understand.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

man your missing out! I wouldn't trade my garand for any AK. The garand is a rifle that has it's own soul.  When you get one you'll understand.

I've shot it before many times and never plan on getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a DSA FAL and have an SLR-105 A1R shipping to me this week. In about a month I'm also buying an RRA Entry Tactical. So I think owning all three is a cool idea. Now, do i NEED all three? Do I NEED any of them? No. I doubt I will ever face a combat situation; I may end up entering law enforement when I finish college this year, but only the AR might possibly see some professional use. I want all three because they are examples of the most used rifles around, and creating a collection is important to me. If owning them just for the sake of owning them isn't important to you, then don't worry about having an AK and an AR. But they are very different rifles and the shooting experience is very different with each. And as someone on the board pointed out: we may not be able to buy these kinds of rifles forever, the libs may strike again someday down the road. Good luck......buy both.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#13]
AR's are a dime a dozen. Ditch the AR and get something cool like a...

PTR91
Another AK
FAL
UZI
Beretta Storm
CMP M1 Garand
Fill in blank
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#14]
NO! Sell the AR and buy more AKs..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#15]
You don't need an AR AND a AK. one is always proclaiming they are better and wanting all the latest gismos. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the troublemaker/loudmouth, keep the AK!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Of course you need both..

What kind of question is that?!?!?!

You NEED at LEAST ONE of every type of weapon you can think of...

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I no longer have any ARs but now own 3 AKs.  AKs are addictive.

Ron
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had all of the guns mentioned above. The AR-15 is the least fun to shoot but one of the most practical for real world situations. Parts, ammo, and recognition as a LEO/MIL weapon that doesn't scare people as much. The AK is a gun that any liberal can point out and call it a terrorist gun. For SHTF most people will think of you as a looter, terrorist, or someone up to no good. The AK would be a good bug in gun.

I think the FAL is the most practical for all .308 purposes with the HK91 type having the most fun factor, and M1A for long range sniper purposes.

I say buy both then buy more of each and some battle rifles as well.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I've tried to stick with the one AR at a time rule while owning AKs.  that's just not the case at this moment.  It's one of my projects in the near future though, to build another one.

great guns, super accurate and just mean looking.

but yeah everyone has one now.

That's not true for more advanced AKs like Arsenals and AK-USA builds, especially AK74 variety.  Not many own those, and they always turn heads at the range.  They're truer to the real AKs out there.  

If I were you I'd get one of those first.  Yes you have a WASR.   For the same money it costs to build a nice AR, you can have one of the best in the business make you a modern AK74-105 clone.  Give these guys a call:

ak-103.com

If you get something like this, you'll realize the variety and Quality of AKs out there besides the WASR.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Both and a FAL.

Don't forget a .308 bolt gun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#24]
you asking the AK forum if you need an AK in addition to an AR......
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Somebody pull his account.  Yes you need both and ALL as many as you can buy beg and borrow.  This is the ARF.com way.  If you need to decide then always get both.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#27]
 Yes, you need the rifle that is carried by the most powerful Military in the world. Keep both. Learn to use both. Both are very good rifles. Nuff said, WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Crappy add-ons??  On an AR15?  What's wrong with that?

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:40:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Get both. They fill different niches. AR is good for longer range and shots that need precision (relatively speaking), or for being foot mobile.

AK is good for bugging in, and short range patrols. It's got more punch, and is much better vs hard cover (cars, trees, brick/cinderblock walls), etc...but I'd hate to have to haul the thing around the woods plus 300 rds of ammo...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get both. They fill different niches. AR is good for longer range and shots that need precision (relatively speaking), or for being foot mobile.

AK is good for bugging in, and short range patrols. It's got more punch, and is much better vs hard cover (cars, trees, brick/cinderblock walls), etc...but I'd hate to have to haul the thing around the woods plus 300 rds of ammo...

Really?  A stamped receiver AKM is about the same weight as an AR... at least I can't feel the difference.  The ammo is a little heavier in 7.62x39.. then again, if there is dense cover the AKM's 7.62x39 round will punch through it much better than a .223 round will.  In the woods, you'll likely have shorter range shots as well due to the vegetation issues.  I'd rather have a .223 round in an urban environment and a 7.62x39 in the woods.

True about the AK gun weight. My Arsenal USA SSR-85B is very close in weight to my M4orgery. It's the weight of the loaded mags that gets me. 300 rds in 10 AR mags is 11 lbs; 300 rds in AK mags is nearly 20 in steel mags, 17.5ish in the Bulgarian Waffle mags. It really adds up after awhile.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I have multiple AKs.  I have multiple ARs.  Sorry, only one FAL.  I have WWII samples of American, German, Russian and British weapons.  Sorry, don't like the French, Italian and Japanese versions.  I have built my collection for their history, and their usefulness.  Someday, my son will have a rifle that is 100 years old (Finnish M39.  Receiver dated 1923), in beautiful shape, and still very functional and useful.  All my kids will have AKs and ARs to choose from.  They'll have to split the WWII stuff.  My American weapons are physical examples of our military equipment since 1936.  Some day, I may be able to get an M1A and an M1903 Springfield and expand it a bit more.  The SKS and Aks are examples of the continuation of firearms development and the weapons used by our enemies for the last 50 years.

I consider all those reasons to own both, and in fact, multiples of both.  You may not want to.  Whatever, its your money.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I've tried to stick with the one AR at a time rule while owning AKs.  that's just not the case at this moment.  It's one of my projects in the near future though, to build another one.

great guns, super accurate and just mean looking.

but yeah everyone has one now.

That's not true for more advanced AKs like Arsenals and AK-USA builds, especially AK74 variety.  Not many own those, and they always turn heads at the range.  They're truer to the real AKs out there.  

If I were you I'd get one of those first.  Yes you have a WASR.   For the same money it costs to build a nice AR, you can have one of the best in the business make you a modern AK74-105 clone.  Give these guys a call:

ak-103.com

I agree. Some of the AKUSA builds are just unreal. The difference between a custom build and a WASR is enormous..........and there's just something so sexy about 74s and 105s.

If you get something like this, you'll realize the variety and Quality of AKs out there besides the WASR.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#34]
You MUST have both...

If it came to a SRHTF situation, you could use ammo from battlefield pic up..

As stated above, both weapons realy have roles they are better suited for.  
When in dought,
Its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

Of course this comes from a man that has several of both

Stay safe
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Both AK, and AR.
And an FAL...............

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#36]
If you only buy what you *NEED*, you are posting on the wrong web board!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Can the AR. If the SHTF and you run out of 7.62 the AR rifles and ammunition will be " a dime a dozen "  if you get my drift.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#38]
GET BOTH! The answer is always GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I agree, you do need both. AKs and ARs are apples and oranges, both fit a specific need. Now you need an FAL and an M1A. Throw in a Garand, and you're set.

JoeLad

yep, what he said
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Hes right get both, then get both again...and again, tell your in huge debt and your significant other threatens to leave you
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Get Both! My AR's and AK's usually get along great in the safe!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#42]
This is what you need to start with.

(Not meaning to steal your avatar gks452, just wanted to borrow it for a moment.)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:44:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Yeah I'll probably buy a national match 20" upper here in the next month or so.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top