Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2005 9:38:32 AM EDT
Are they really needed on a sidefolding AK74?  Can they be riveted on rather then welded?  Thanks.

Abe
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Are they really needed on a sidefolding AK74?  Can they be riveted on rather then welded?  Thanks.
Abe

Are they really needed? No. It will work fine without it. Does it make it more correct? Yes, For an extra 15 bucks or less it makes the rifle that much more authentic and shows that you cared about the build. What it does is lower the trigger guard just a tad which also gives it the correct look and also with all the steel you cut off the back of the receiver it also reinforces the receivers. To install it simply drill five holes in it and weld it to the receiver and grind the welds flush, or you can use a spot welder. McM
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Abe

Are they really needed? No. It will work fine without it. Does it make it more correct? Yes, For an extra 15 bucks or less it makes the rifle that much more authentic and shows that you cared about the build. What it does is lower the trigger guard just a tad which also gives it the correct look and also with all the steel you cut off the back of the receiver it also reinforces the receivers. To install it simply drill five holes in it and weld it to the receiver and grind the welds flush, or you can use a spot welder. McM
i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/onebigjoe/aks74andamd65010.jpg

Thanks for the info, but after looking at your pic I have another question.  Can I put a rail on the side of my receiver if I have a side folder such as yours?

Abe
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You can have the rail on the receiver but you cannot have a scope mount on the rail if you want to fold the stock all the way.

I know of two people in the TC’s that have moded spot welders if you want to put a reinforcing plate on.

Wombat
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You can have the rail on the receiver but you cannot have a scope mount on the rail if you want to fold the stock all the way.

I know of two people in the TC’s that have moded spot welders if you want to put a reinforcing plate on.

Wombat

Thanks for the heads up.  Do you know anyone around here that does complete builds?  

Abe
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Coyote gulch armory

What are you looking to get done?  A lot of ARFCOMers in the area have tools.  A couple of us are just finishing up some aks-74s.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm building a sidefolder AK-105.  I still need to get a lot of stuff built first, it's kind of on the back burner.

Abe
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm building a sidefolder AK-105.  I still need to get a lot of stuff built first, it's kind of on the back burner.

Abe

6 of us are doing builds right now on the west side....
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]

I am working on an AK-103 and AK-104 clone so I know how long it takes to get all the parts together.  Are you using an AK USA FS ($$$) to make 16"?  How long did it take you to get your 100 series folder?  It took me five moths for my last one and then someone offered me more money than I could turn down for it.

Quoted:

More than 6 of us have done builds on the dry side.  We have even done them at a shoot.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Motorcityman, that is one beautiful rifle. If it had an AK-100 folder and optic rail, it would be an exact match to the one I have being built at In Range.

BTW, I also vote for using the reinforcement plate.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Abe

Hey where abouts in WA are you guys located?
I have 5 builds in progress maybe we could help each other
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Coyote gulch armory

What are you looking to get done?  A lot of ARFCOMers in the area have tools.  A couple of us are just finishing up some aks-74s.

Gratuitous AKS-74 pic:
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:24:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am working on an AK-103 and AK-104 clone so I know how long it takes to get all the parts together.  Are you using an AK USA FS ($$$) to make 16"?  How long did it take you to get your 100 series folder?  It took me five moths for my last one and then someone offered me more money than I could turn down for it.

Quoted:

More than 6 of us have done builds on the dry side.  We have even done them at a shoot.

I did buy one of the AK USA FS's, which wasn't cheap at $108.  I don't even have my kit yet, I was going to order one of the refurbished AK-74 kits from TGrove and get the shorter barrel from K-Var.

Abe
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:54:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Motorcityman, that is one beautiful rifle. If it had an AK-100 folder and optic rail, it would be an exact match to the one I have being built at In Range.

BTW, I also vote for using the reinforcement plate.

Thanks for the compliment, I have another AKS74 kit i'm going to build into that exact same rifle i have a set of stocks comming from russia for it though so i'm waiting on the stocks, i'm going to put a side rail on it as well. I'm also waiting for Harlen to start making his correct 74' receivers for this build.  McM
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#14]
are the reinforcmement plates only on ak74's? i'm building an amd65 with a 74 sidefolder, can i use this reinforcment plate? would someone post a pic of one installed? thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm taggin' this since I'm a dry sider (Kennewick) who's got two kits, with one side folder assy. and receiver on order.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I did buy one of the AK USA FS's, which wasn't cheap at $108.

That is why I put three $ in my previous post.

Quoted:
would someone post a pic of one installed?

Quoted:
I'm taggin' this since I'm a dry sider (Kennewick) who's got two kits, with one side folder assy. and receiver on order.  

Do you go to the HTF much?  There have been many build parties.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top