Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/18/2005 12:05:54 PM EDT
Thanks guys---I got the stock off and all the furnitur removed, I guess next is to drill the rivets and remone the trunion----do I need a specific size bit---I guess regular would be better than cobalt-----as far as not drilling into the trunnion.  I appreciate the help-----you guys are great
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a 5/32 drill bit, but you can use something smaller in diameter.  Basically, center punch each rivet and drill all the way through.  Then use a punch to knock out the rivets.  On the rivets for the trigger guard, I basically grounded flush with the selector stop plate and then punched them out with a nail punch.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#2]
You do have your barrel removed, I hope? Otherwise you could run into trouble. Like drilling into the barrel.  And how would you punch out the rivets with the barrel in place? I generally center punch the rivets and then use a small bit like a 3/32.  Well, actually I start with a center drill.  That's a short stubby drill bit  that looks kinda like a countersink bit. It is actually two drill bits, one on each end.  the advantage to using a center drill is there is less possibility of the bit walking on you.  After I use the center drill to get a hole started I then go to a 3/32. I only drill through part way.  Then I use a countersink to remove any of the expanded rivet shaft at the hole opening.  Then I use a punch to drive the rivet out. If it doesn't come out then, at that point I drill through the rivet and then punch it out.  Generally works.  At least the remains of rivets littering the floor after a deconstruction indicate that it does. Oh, and I use cobalt bits. Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
i just used a bench grinder an ground the rivets off.  Once the heads were gone, a punch to knock them out.  The rear trunion had to be drilled then punched.

Caspian
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top