Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 7:31:29 PM EDT
Anyone have any info on this rear sight mount? (Only picture I could find of it) The owner says he had it installed by Magnum Gunsmithing and that its discontinued. I'd like to know where I could find one. Thanks in advance
http://riflestocks.com/images06/customer/AKAP-1.jpg
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:06:35 PM EDT
Wow, that does look nice. Especially if there is an integral buis in that mount !
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 1:56:59 AM EDT
It looks like the mount ACELTD used to make, their website is riflestocks.com. I remember years ago when I first saw one and was dissapointed because they quit making them. I have heard rumors that Larue may be working on something like it though if it makes you feel better
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:46:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:23:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2009 6:24:32 AM EDT by dntama]
I think the problem with these type sights and the reason they are no longer made is that they may not hold a zero. I think for these to work well you need to find a way to lock down two points of the mount and prevent lateral shifting. The versions I have seen only secure the mount in the hinge area. They look like they can move up and down and side to side slightly. Add the weight of a aimpoint and the problem gets worse. Larue uses a very strong magnet to hold the Iron dot down and it works ok but still allows some shifting of the sight.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:05:15 AM EDT
Ok thanks for the input guys. I figured the likelyhood of finding one of these discontinued sights for sale was pretty low, so I just ordered an irondot.
Top Top