Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/23/2008 7:14:13 AM EDT
All,

I have been noticing a lot of surplus 7.62x54R ammo for sale lately and some are labeled "light ball" or "heavy ball" I assume the light or heavy is denoting the powder charge.  Can someone confirm this or set me straight.

Out of curiousity, if this is the case why would the the Soviets produce a light charge or heavy charge of the same caliber round?
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 6:54:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The heavy ball will blow your shoulder clean off if you're not careful with your hold.  I was out shooting with some buddies this weekend with my M39 - the light ball was definitely no sissy round, but when we switched to the heavy ball there was some serious shoulder rubbing.  Fortunately I have a recoil boot that we put on the stock that helps a lot, but the kick is still stout.  We have decided to inaugurate new shooters to our group with a full magazine of heavy ball, no boot...
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
the kick I'm serious...

buy the light ball your shoulder will thank you

Link Posted: 6/23/2008 12:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
They are talking about the weight of the projectile.  Tje light ball is usually around 150gr and the heavy ball is about 180gr.   Also noted is that the heavy ball seems to kick more.  I just buy whatever is the cheapest and still reliable.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 2:22:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Light ball is 149gr and is usually steel core. Silver color is sometimes used to identify it. Heavy ball is around 183gr, is usually lead core, and yellow is the color associated with it. I suspect the two bullet weights because of use in different weapons. Bolt action rifles, semi-auto rifles and machine guns all use this caliber.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have another question, Why are there different colored tips in some of my 7.62 x 54R ammo?  I have a number of boxes with 19 rounds of one color tip, and one bullet with a different colored tip.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have another question, Why are there different colored tips in some of my 7.62 x 54R ammo?  I have a number of boxes with 19 rounds of one color tip, and one bullet with a different colored tip.

Gonna give us a hint on what "one" color is and the "different"?  
If it is silver and yellow, it has already been answered.
Or..... you may have a box with a tracer round.
To know for sure, supply color, head stamp and shell type.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The heavy ball will blow your shoulder clean off if you're not careful with your hold.  I was out shooting with some buddies this weekend with my M39 - the light ball was definitely no sissy round, but when we switched to the heavy ball there was some serious shoulder rubbing.  Fortunately I have a recoil boot that we put on the stock that helps a lot, but the kick is still stout.  We have decided to inaugurate new shooters to our group with a full magazine of heavy ball, no boot...

Oh. puhleeze. I only shoot 180-200 gr in my M44 and I don't even get a bruise. Some really good heavy ball is the Hungarian with silver/yellow bullet. Its corrosive, but also steel-core. Normally I shoot Wolf 200 gr. soft point. Unfortunately, every round of this I have dug out of the dirt had the lead core shed the copper jacket, so I don't know how effective it would be on the larger game.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The heavy-ball(yellow tip) was created specifically for machineguns to give them a round that was more effective than the light ball at longer ranges. That's what I have read anyway. The light-ball with the steel core was given a sliver tip to distinguish it from the heavy ball. Sometime in the 70s use of the heavy ball was discontinued in Russia and most soviet bloc countries and, soon after, the silver tip marking was dropped from the light ball since it was deemed no longer necessary.
I also have to agree with my fellow poster about the Hungarian(silver-over-yellow tip) steel-cored heavy-ball. It is some awesome stuff!
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#9]
What are you shooting? From what I understand, you want to stay away from the heavy ball if your shooting a Dragonov or Romanian PSL. The heavy ball was really designed for machine guns.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What are you shooting? From what I understand, you want to stay away from the heavy ball if your shooting a Dragonov or Romanian PSL. The heavy ball was really designed for machine guns.

Designed for bolt action rifles you mean...
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Excellent source of info and ID help of various 7.62x54R rounds.

Ammo info

Curses, did not see the link posted above...
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I found that the light ball was most accurate out of my PSL. I have also read in several sources, that is generally the case all around. I do know if you're shooting a PSL/SVD you should stick to the light ball, or if you're using commercial ammo, under 158 gr.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#14]
The brass case surplus Yugo ammo (7.62x54R) right now is 182 gr and is sniper grade. It is much more accurate in my M44 and M91 than any other steel case including Hungarian. It is more expensive, but it is available and well worth it for increase accuracy. Plus, the brass case works better in my M44 than the steel case.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Fortunately I have a recoil boot that we put on the stock that helps a lot, but the kick is still stout.  We have decided to inaugurate new shooters to our group with a full magazine of heavy ball, no boot...

LoL

I've never shot anything bigger than 7.62x39, as I'm a relatively new shooter. I have however shot 3" slugs from my 870. How is the recoil compared to that? Less, more? The 7.62x54 is the russian equivilant to our .308 (so I believe), so I wonder how the recoil on those compare as well.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fortunately I have a recoil boot that we put on the stock that helps a lot, but the kick is still stout.  We have decided to inaugurate new shooters to our group with a full magazine of heavy ball, no boot...

LoL

I've never shot anything bigger than 7.62x39, as I'm a relatively new shooter. I have however shot 3" slugs from my 870. How is the recoil compared to that? Less, more? The 7.62x54 is the russian equivilant to our .308 (so I believe), so I wonder how the recoil on those compare as well.

Partial,

To me, it is not quite as sporty as 3" mag slugs.  It will not "blow your shoulder off".  It is a good stiff kick.  You do know you have been shooting after a couple of boxes .  FAL doesn't kick near as much, but it is nothing to be afraid of.

I don't condone giving newbies a load of heavy ball.  I REALLY want more people to get interested in shooting so that we are able to preserve our sport.  I do NOT want to run off new shooters with hard kicking guns..........but that is just me.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he's correct.  Heavy ball is meant for shooting out of the PKM.  I sent some of the Hungarian silver-over-yellow tip 182gr. ammo to Wise Lite to test in their semi-auto PKM.  They video taped it and posted it here.  It had a little more felt recoil but that's about it.  It's apparently for longer distances.  At least that's what was posted over at The AK Forums.  If you pick up any of the loaded 200 round PKM belts, they're loaded with heavy ball.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he's correct.  Heavy ball is meant for shooting out of the PKM.  I sent some of the Hungarian silver-over-yellow tip 182gr. ammo to Wise Lite to test in their semi-auto PKM.  They video taped it and posted it here.  It had a little more felt recoil but that's about it.  It's apparently for longer distances.  At least that's what was posted over at The AK Forums.  If you pick up any of the loaded 200 round PKM belts, they're loaded with heavy ball.

Yeah, you're right.  Sometimes my mind and fingers do not like to work together.  Basically, you want to shoot light ball in any of the semi-auto 762x54R guns, and anything you want in the bolt guns.  They make up to 203grn weight, IIRC.  I've killed many a hog with the 180~ish grain rounds.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top