Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 10:15:47 PM EDT
The SLR101 is supposed to be the newer replacement for the older thumb hole stocked SLR95. But, after visiting the ARSENAL web site, I'm not even sure they're still making the 101. Well, I wanted to get my hands on a milled receiver AK to perhaps make a folder rifle of my own.

If I understand it, it seems the 101 rifle used special magazines and would require milling to accept regular magazines? Does anybody know this for a fact, and could tell me if there's a difference between these two rifles except the furniture?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:53:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As far as I know, the 101 only takes single stack mags.  It can be filed out toaccept the normanl mags.

I have an SLR-101S Manufactured early this year . It takes standard double stack Mags and the receiver appears to have been machined that way from the factory  

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
It seems to me then, that the 101 would be a more desirable model than the 95, being it doesn't have the ugly thumbhole stock like the 95. What I don't get is how the SLR101's were brought into the country with the Clinton Executive order of 1998.

I'm simply trying to figure out which one of these milled receiver riflese to buy next. I want one with the full stock (I could buy theSLR 101 for this, being it already has the full furniture) and then convert the SLR95 I own to a folder stock.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
It seems to me then, that the 101 would be a more desirable model than the 95, being it doesn't have the ugly thumbhole stock like the 95. What I don't get is how the SLR101's were brought into the country with the Clinton Executive order of 1998.

I'm simply trying to figure out which one of these milled receiver riflese to buy next. I want one with the full stock (I could buy theSLR 101 for this, being it already has the full furniture) and then convert the SLR95 I own to a folder stock.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#6]
SLR95- Made in Bulgaria, Thumbhole stock, no sight rail.  Would probably need to add the lower stock tang to convert to a standard buttstock.  Add necessary US parts for 922r compliance.

Slr101S- Made in Bulgaria.  Has sight rail.  Imported as single stack mag.  Buy and convert yourself or buy already converted to accept hi-caps.  The already converted models have the necessary US parts.  Check the FAC/Gunsnstuff website for a thorough rundown/prices.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
PM2709,
What website are you referring me to? If you enter it like that in the Google search you get nothing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks MiniZ.....what a neat website that FAC is.

QUESTION: If a folding stock could legally be put on the SLR 101's rifles they are selling, wouldn't it have been done by them? They made other changes to the rifle, but not the folder stock. Must be for legal reasons they can't offer it. No? Makes me wonder if I can do it legally myself?

I couldn't paste the picture of the SLR 101 they are selling, but here is the description:

SLR 101 SB AK Rifle

U.S. conversion of Bulgarian AK rifle with milled receiver. Will accept AK double stack mags. U.S. made black stock set installed. One short mag included. Includes left side scope mount rail! Caliber 7.62x39. FFL Required.

more details, VIEW PAGE 39  ADD TO CART  $496.95
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:06:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe one way to look at this is that a folding stock was added to AK's for portability in confined spaces.  Examples would be ideal for drivers, airborne, etc.  If you need a small portable arm, wouldn't you also want it to be as light as possible?  That kind of precludes a milled receiver.  That is my take on it.  YMMV.  I have a SLR95 (still with the thumbhole stock) and a SLR101SG (sight rail and green furniture).  The conversion to hi-caps on the 101 was well done.  I do have to be careful with mag selection.  The magwell is tight.  They both shoot well and are nice looking examples of milled AK's.  If I want a folding stock AK, I will buy one with a stamped receiver because I believe that is a better overall package for a folder.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Pm2790,

I just came from checking out a gun shop this morning that has tons of ARSENAL milled AK's hanging on the wall. I don't feel so bad now seeing a couple of those milled rifles with underfolders on them straight from the  Nevada ARSENAL factory. However, the two underfolders he had were some kind of "Special Edition 1 out of 50" with the Nevada manufactured receiver. One was $1,100 the other was $999  Put another $82 sales tax on it, and what a Bargain!!! American Made AK's for over a Grande$$ Yea right.

The Bulgarian milled SLR 101 rifle currently available from mail order at $499 plus $30 transfer fee is starting to look like a bargain. They already have the US trigger modification and magazine well modifications on them. I can put my own under folder stock on it and have the real thing for less$$$

What worries me was the problem you said you had with it taking standard magazines. In your opinion, is that something that can be worked on and improved in these rifles with a Dremel tool or ? Or are you stuck with a rifle that gives you a bitch time accepting mags in it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Pm2790,

I just came from checking out a gun shop this morning that has tons of ARSENAL milled AK's hanging on the wall. I don't feel so bad now seeing a couple of those milled rifles with underfolders on them straight from the  Nevada ARSENAL factory. However, the two underfolders he had were some kind of "Special Edition 1 out of 50" with the Nevada manufactured receiver. One was $1,100 the other was $999  Put another $82 sales tax on it, and what a Bargain!!! American Made AK's for over a Grande$$ Yea right.

The Bulgarian milled SLR 101 rifle currently available from mail order at $499 plus $30 transfer fee is starting to look like a bargain. They already have the US trigger modification and magazine well modifications on them. I can put my own under folder stock on it and have the real thing for less$$$

What worries me was the problem you said you had with it taking standard magazines. In your opinion, is that something that can be worked on and improved in these rifles with a Dremel tool or ? Or are you stuck with a rifle that gives you a bitch time accepting mags in it?

I have a pair of SLR101S rifles, one black and one green.  They are my "Cadillacs" when referring to my AKs.  (I also have an SA-93 T-hole with no scope rail from Arsenal INC as well as a couple of Chicomm Pre-ban AKs)  Both of the SLR101S rifles can be a little picky about mags.  I'm sure it can be fixed improved (It ain't technically broke) with some judicious filing/honing/grinding.  But it hasn't been to much of a problem, especially with my Hungarian 20 roudn tanker mags and 30 round Bulgarian steel mags.  It seems the few mags that hang up are easy enough to go in, it's just depressing the mag release which can prove to be a bother. A slight tap with my fresh mag onto the mag release and the mag is released.  Even with that minor hiccup, I definately recommend the SLR101S series.

What I enjoy on the SLR101s:

Trigger pull. (Quality FCG)
Length of Pull.  (Nato instead of the shorter Warsaw Pact)
US made parts-  Sure it's a "Commi" rifle, but there's American benefits.
The funky post ban muzzle brake.  (I thought it sucked, but it's not loud and more importantly it makes shooting really slick)

Sly
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Imawmd

I appreciate the detail with what I can expect with the magazine problem. I'm thinking of buying a SLR 101 and leaving the full stock on it as is. Then I would convert my SLR 95 to a underfolder model. Then I'll have both models.

There's this sence of urgency I have to figure out what I'm wanting to do quickly..... I've got this bad feeling that stuff is going to start getting real hard to get in about another 4 weeks. I might as well buy it now while it's only $500 and still available.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:26:45 AM EDT
[#14]
SLR101SG Mag Fit-  I think the mag catch is just a little long.  Maybe a 10 minute job with a Dremel.  I haven't bothered with it yet.  I usually load 30 or 40 7.62 mags for a range session.  What doesn't fit the SLR101SG, gets used in the Maadi's, Saiga's, WASR's, RPK's, etc.

I still think an underfolder would be easier, cheaper and more appropriate on a stamped receiver.  Your SLR95 conversion to an underfolder will be a one-off type of a job.  I would certainly want a lot of assurances from the gunsmith doing the job that it can be done well in a timely manner and on budget.  I would suggest contacting Ohio Rapid Fire and seeing what they would charge for a new underfolder.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top