Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 7:49:32 AM EDT
Like a few of you, I am in full-on buying mode these days, taking advantage of some of the great deals.  I bought four rifles in October, and November is already getting off to an expensive start, too.

But here's my question: For my next rifle, I'm considering either the SLR106 while it's still on sale at $699, or the Lancaster Tantal with custom wood furniture, at $799. (You can see the Tantal here, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page.  Check it out, because it doesn't look like any other Tantal I've ever seen.)

Here's what I'm thinking:

If I get the Arsenal SLR106, that will complete my Arsenal collection (for now).  I'll have 7.62, 5.45 and 5.56 Arsenals.  Plus, the price of $699 is tempting.

But if I get the Tantal, that will complete my collection of AK-74's (for now).  I'll have a SGL31, a Bulgy 74, and the Tantal.  The only other 74 I would be lacking would be a WASR 2, and I'm not so sure I want one of those anyway.  

The Tantal is not as good of a deal, but I'm also thinking that the SLR106's will be around longer (albeit not at the sale price) than these custom Tantals.  I've owned a SLR106 before, and liked it.  But I sold it, and now of course I regret doing so.  Nonetheless, of these two rifles, I prefer the Tantal; mostly because it is unique and quite different from most Tantals I've seen.  The custom wood on this Tantal looks gorgeous.

So, which should it be, and why???  I might just get both this week, but assuming I don't...which should I get first?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO It doesn't really matter which to get first. You already have a nice collection. You will end up getting both in the end anyways. I would get the SLR106 if i had to choose one
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I would choose the SLR106 first because it is a different caliber, and you already have 5.45 guns. Plus. I think it's a better value than the Tantal right now.

I ALSO think that whichever you choose should be added to my Range Report thread after it arrives
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#3]
SLR-106FR hands down without question. The price is now lower than what I paid over two years ago.

I am afraid I going to miss out on all these deals. I hope they hold out for some time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:25:52 AM EDT
[#4]
buy the SLR first and see if the Tantals come down in price...its hard to predict what the market is going to do though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Alright, I knew it would probably come to this, so...

I'm getting both...

Funny thing is, my SGL21 is being delivered today, and here I am calling K-var right back to order the SLR106.  Should have just ordered both at the same time.

So now, I'm waiting on the SGL21 (will be here today), my Lancaster bulgy, a Lancaster Tantal, and an Arsenal SLR106.

Someone, please stop me!!!

ETA: I just called Lancaster to order the Tantal, and am glad I did.  They said they have six of these nice Tantals left, and don't anticipate those lasting much longer.  Chet at Lancaster told me these Tantals are built on brand new kits, with original polish barrels.  He said that with the custom wood and the kit quality, it's the nicest Tantal on the market, period. (Although, I wouldn't expect him to say anything else I suppose, since he is selling these.)  Glad to be adding this one...I love Polish rifles.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]
we will go ahead and send the people in the white coats...i will be more than happy to take delivery for you!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top