Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/15/2004 3:47:27 PM EDT
Yes, I know its bullshit, but I am trying to determine what exactly this is.

I have not seen it myself - I just had a friend call me and ask about it - he wasn't able to tell me much more than the following:

1)  Dealer claims new Russian manufacture
2)  Stock is thumbhole "sporterized" contraption
3)  His friend at the store - who has been around real AKs - says something looked weird about the ass end of the receiver.
4)  The dealer was asking $220.00
5)  They were new looking, indeed were in a box, and the dealer claimed these were currently coming in and he would be getting more.

Is that enough info to figure out what this guy is actually selling?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
ok...i'm lost?

i'm guessing that they are, in reality (i.e. everything is rooosian in a gunstore full of folks not educated about the kalashnikov), a romanian (hey, it almost 'sounds' russian, huh?) single stack ak with the dragunov (now THERE'S a russianword!) style buttstock.

the least exspensive kalashnikov clone is romanian wasr series at $289 or so.

romanian single stack (10 round capacity) ak clones have sold in the $159-$259 range.

your friend might have seen a russian saiga conversion...a sporterized ak turned back into a 'sorta' military look clone, but the price sounds way too low for all but a beater used one.

Your probaly right, I seen places here selling Romaks as Russain Dragunovs, complete with the pricetag that should be on a real one.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I second Campy, sounds like a Saiga to me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]
update:

seems I misinterpreted the stock - he says the pistol grip was integrated, but no thumbhole - almost a standard palm-swelled rifle stock.  Hmmm....
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Like this one?

If so, then it is a Saiga.  The trigger assembly has all been moved to the rear of the receiver to complement the hunting stock.  Maybe that's what your friend meant by "something looked weird about the ass end of the receiver".

These ARE new Russian manufacture from the Izhmash factory, and CDNN has them from $179-249, depending on the caliber.

Anyways, that's what it sounds like to me at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Like this one?

www.eaacorp.com/firearms/saiga/rifles/images/saigasynthetic.jpg

If so, then it is a Saiga.  The trigger assembly has all been moved to the rear of the receiver to complement the hunting stock.  Maybe that's what your friend meant by "something looked weird about the ass end of the receiver".

These ARE new Russian manufacture from the Izhmash factory, and CDNN has them from $179-249, depending on the caliber.

Anyways, that's what it sounds like to me at the moment.

That's gotta be it - in fact, I just learned before logging back in that he was able to confirm that is did have Izhmash factory markings.  So what's whole story in these?  I couldn't find anything on the CDNN website.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm... heres one I found for sale online:

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976472842.htm

$199.00 at his store.  The price seems within the range - definitely seems to be what he saw.

So, I gather these meet the "sporting rifle" provisions for import?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quite a few reviews of these as "sleeper" AK's.  Pretty good lil beater AK's.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Like Campy said, they are Russian AKs that have been neutered.  The good news is that the operation is both reversible and fairly easy.  There is a tacked thread in the Russian forum about conversions.  

Here's my .308, now 30% more evil:

BTW, no, I can't resist the opportunity to show this off.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top