Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 8:53:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:57:28 PM EDT
With the Yugos.. apparently dark bore = no rifling..
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:58:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:03:11 PM EDT
I ordered a pair today. Dark means rust. Rust leads to pitting. Pitting.....well its not good. Fingers will be kept crossed. According to CFS, the Yugos are from the ones their selling for $140.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:18:46 AM EDT
Cork the barrel, fill it with a strong ammonia solution overnight. It will clear up a dark bore but isn't necessarily good for the barrel!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:20:50 AM EDT
Those bastards. I saw that add a couple weeks ago, but when I ordered my underfolder they said that it was over. I paid 139, then the new sgn had them for 119, now back to 2 for 199? The dark bore means pitted. I don't think its a big deal. The rifling looks ok, gut the grooves are pitted. I'm not going for a tack driver anyway.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:22:10 AM EDT
By the way my friend got one of those romys and his bore is much nicer than mine (add said dark bore as well)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:47:42 AM EDT
Update: I just called to see if they would sell me a romy for the difference in price and they said NO. I guess thats their last order from me! I asked about this deal when I ordered, then 2 days after I get my kit, the price drops $20 plus the deal I wanted originally is going again. They did tell me they would be happy to sell 2 more kits at the promo price.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:45:25 AM EDT
Dark bores do not = bad barrel. tell you what though. no rifling in the barrel does. when the yugos first got here I got two underfolders both dark bores. one was a sewer pipe with rifling, one without. if you ask me the yugo's are one of the coolest kits ever . I wouldn't buy one sight unseen again though!they claimed they were in excellent condition at first. I sent one back (W/O RIFLING) should of sent them both back. The one replacement was like new. these kits they are currently selling are not $100 bucks cool, the romy is though. If they sold them for $100 with a barrel blank i'd be in. By they way if you were thinking of just using the stock the trunnion for yugo underfolder is .036" narrower because the yugo receivers were .060" thick right from Zastava. Caveat emptor! R1150R
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:07:58 AM EDT
"Dark bores" and "freckling" are CenterFire Systems weasel language for pitted barrels.

No one in their right mind would pay full price (i.e. more than for an excellent Romy) for a Yugo AK kit with a pitted barrel, but CFS is increasingly desperate to dump its remaining dogs. They figure they may reel in a few suckers by calling pitting something else. Kind of like government calling a tax increase a "negative refund." But its weasel language, pure and simple.

As to pitted barrels, they MAY shoot ok . . . for a while. But a pitted bore will foul quickly. Picture shooting a cheese bullet down a bore like a cheese grater. Doesn't take long for jacket fouling to accumulate. A real PITA to clean and almost impossible to ever get fully clean

Personally, a pitted barrel kit is not worth investing time, effort and money to build . Some collectors who just HAVE to fill a specific niche in their collection may disagree. But I like to have pride in my guns.

And just TRY to sell a rifle with a pitted bore someday. Good luck on that.

You have been warned.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:13:35 AM EDT
As far as "Dark Bores" go I've seen lots of Mil Surp rifles w/ dark bores that shoot fine . They are just dark from corrosive primes . Maybe these "dark bores" are really shit , but just being dark wouldnt scare me off .
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:27:50 AM EDT
I think people are too concerned about a bore being "dark" personally. I mean realistically how far are you going to shoot with an AK? I would say 300 yards is probably max, and even with a new barrel the accuray would be bad.

I think if you compare a romanian kit to a yugo kit, you would see the yugo is built better is every category other than the dark bore.
Top Top