Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/17/2016 9:10:10 AM EDT
FIRST AND FOREMOST - This will be a LEGAL build on a form1 with a stamp.

I have a DRACO-C with the UF cut rear trunion. I want to add a Romanian underfolding stock.

What is the BEST way to cut the sheet metal receiver to properly align with the holes already in the trunion? The two big holes seem easy enough: drill a pilot in the center and work my way to the edge with a Dremel and hand files. The two notches on the right side also seem easy: use round file to cut them out adjacent to the big hole.

The problem is how to locate the two smaller holes on the left side of the trunion from the outside of the receiver? I can measure and estimate pretty well but I do not have much room for error.

Has anybody gone down this path before and care to provide some advice and guidance based on their experience?

Thank you in advance
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Theres a guy on AKfiles.com that sells a trunion locator tool.  Its basically a needle nose pliers that has bent ends, so you can pinch the trunion, and mark holes on both sides.  Then just drill through.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I did this with my SBR Draco-C.

I have a built Md65 rifle on a 74U LLC receiver - I took the stock assembly off of it to make some comparisons and measurements.

I just used masking tape to help me determine where I should begin.

Drilled pilot holes for the underfolder axle.

Once the axle holes were finished I then - kind of crudely - stuck the bit of a hand drill through the right side new axle hole to get starter holes drilled for each of the locking holes. It worked - no damage to the trunnion or anything else. One the starter holes were drilled I dremeled and filed until the holes in the sheet metal receiver matched the holes in the factory installed Draco-C rear trunnion. I put a thick layer of masking tape on the receiver while working on it - more than shown in these pictures.

Patience was the best tool I had in the box during the process.

The only thing I forgot was to drill the two holes in the pistol grip area - those allow the underfolder mechanism pins to be removed if the stock need to be taken apart for some reason. It hasn't needed those holes yet so not a concern.

I finished the work on FBHO's birthday in 2014.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Do most Draco's have the UF trunnion? If they do, I think I know what I'm buying when I get paid this week!

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Standard Draco pistols are made from new Romanian parts. They have a rear trunnion that is the correct type for an underfolder BUT it is not drilled for the UF axle. They are harder to convert to UF than a Draco-C, but it can be done. They come with a 500 meter sight leaf and cleaning rod. Most will have a two digit dot peen date 14, 15, etc.

Draco-C models were brought in for just a short time. I bought mine in January 2011. They have the rear UF trunnion fully machined - you just have to cut the sheetmetal receiver once Form 1 is approved. Once word got out they were in pretty high demand. They were - in most cases - made from used parts and a new barrel. The parts were just a jumble of used parts from demilled rifles otherwise. Draco-C models had 1000 meter sight leafs and no supplied cleaning rod.

Mine has a 1994 dated trunnion and I believe its barrel is original - the serial number range matches other short underfolders from that era. The selector, top cover and bolt carrier were all 1960's era Romanian used parts. I just found the last late model parts to make mine "1994 correct" just this year 'cause that's how I roll.

Most other Draco-C's I observed at local shows and online had 1968 dated front trunnions - though Romania didn't field short AK based rifles until the late 1980's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:20:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most other Draco-C's I observed at local shows and online had 1968 dated front trunnions - though Romania didn't field short AK based rifles until the late 1980's.
View Quote

Yep. Mine is dated '68.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. Mine is dated '68.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/HRJ2/photo1_zps6f649404.jpg

OMG that is SO sexy.

So on the new model, there is no hole? I was thinking if I just had to cut the sheet metal, I might give that a try. I have a PAP M92 I'm having a Bulgaria side folder installed on, I um, I'm paying someone to do it, I don't want to mess it up but if I could just cut sheet metal, I was going to be all over that :(

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So on the new model, there is no hole?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Mine is dated '68.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/HRJ2/photo1_zps6f649404.jpg

So on the new model, there is no hole?

Only on the Draco-C versions which aren't being made anymore.....and there are accounts of Draco-Cs without a cut trunnion so you really need to look to be sure.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Once the axle holes were finished I then - kind of crudely - stuck the bit of a hand drill through the right side new axle hole to get starter holes drilled for each of the locking holes. It worked - no damage to the trunnion or anything else. One the starter holes were drilled I dremeled and filed until the holes in the sheet metal receiver matched the holes in the factory installed Draco-C rear trunnion. I put a thick layer of masking tape on the receiver while working on it - more than shown in these pictures.

View Quote

Can you tell me which dremel attachment worked the best to do this?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:07:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used a conical abrasive stone after the initial holes were drilled.

I'll try to get a photo of the stone tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks.  I was looking at my dremel attachments and wondering what would be the most effective and to make it look good.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I noticed on my Draco-C, the two small cutouts on the right side on the axis hole, do not need to be cut. The pin is inserted during assembly, and does not protrude into the holes you just painstakenly made in the receiver after all.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I noticed on my Draco-C, the two small cutouts on the right side on the axis hole, do not need to be cut. The pin is inserted during assembly, and does not protrude into the holes you just painstakenly made in the receiver after all.
View Quote

That is correct.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top