Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/13/2006 3:59:08 PM EDT
I know that the DCI receivers have gotten good reviews.  I am looking at picking up a few.  There economy line is what i plan on going with.  The question is this.  
the ecomony does not have:
top rail step-down

laser-cut holes to eliminate stretch at trigger pin hole

lower left rail mag guide

I am looking to build a bunch of Aks off of romy kits.  These are going to be beater guns.  DO these missing features matter? I do not know what they are.  Please adviselink to receivers
jimmy
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're not in a hurry, I'd wait for the DCI premium AKM receivers to come out.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
what is going to be the price and difference?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The step down upper rail creates a thicker rail which causes the carrier to fit a little tighter. When the trigger/hammer pin holes are drilled before the receiver is bent, the trigger hole will have a slight stretch to it at the bend. I have an "economy" on order and I've only read good things about them. They will be perfect for your "beater" guns. An "authentic" builder won't use them because they have S and F selector markings. Harlan posted about the premium receivers, but I can't find it. As I remember the price will be close to his Yugo receivers. They will not have predrilled trunion holes, selector markings, or selector notches. They will have stepped rails and laser cut trigger/hammer pin holes. This way a builder can mark the selector to match the origin of the kit. Harlan watches the boards, so hopefully he will correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
sounds great.  Think i will order 11 of them tomarrow.  Not really caring about how authentic they are.  I am building shooters.  What about the laft of "lower left rail mag guide"?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
'JoeBud', you posted well.

The top rail step down is an emboss feature over the length of the receiver where the bolt carrier travels. The step down reduces the vertical distance between the upper and lower rails, and keeps the bolt carrier in good functional alignment during full auto use. The feature is not critical for semiauto use but is important.

The lower rail mag guide is a part of the rail that extends out at the bottom edge and provides lateral support for the inserted mag. If the rifle is properly assembled and some attention paid to the mag catch fit with mag, lack of the guide on the left lower rail will not affect function. The receiver does have dimples on both sides that also support the inserted mag.

The hole stretch is on the left side trigger pin hole. The stretch can be dressed down for better cosmetic appeal. The stretch will not affect function and the pin will locate properly.

Thanks.
Harlan
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#6]
hmmm, maybe ill just buy 1, assemble and try it out and see how she goes.  My FFL gives me a big discount when i do bulk transfers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I just finished my first build on one of Harlan's receivers.  The rifle functions excellent and looks great.  

I have to say.

Thanks Harlan for a top notch product.  I am going to order another receiver in about a week.

Corny

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks corny, i appreciate the info
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out the photo.
I have a Yugo receiver ready to be assembled into a fixed stock rifle.
This receiver is built like a tank and a work of art.
Hope I don't screw it up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I also just built a Romanian on one of the "economy" receivers. I see nothing economy about it. The holes lined up perfectly and the mag fit just right.

Assembling the trunnions to the receiver was the easiest part of the build.

If I can come into some cash, I plan on doing a Yugo build and will use a DCI reciever. Same goes for when I build my Bulgarian AK74S -- I'll use one of the "premium" 74 receivers when they come out.

Thanks Harlan! You guys are a notch above.

Tom hug.gif
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#11]
ARGGGG, screw it.  Ill just buy a slew of them.  They surly will work or i am sure i coudl sell them off in FTF sales if need be!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I did a little reading about these NDS receivers and called in last week.  I decided to buy a couple.  My payment is on the way, should have arrived by now, maybe tomorrow. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#13]
You will not be disappointed, these are very nice looking receivers.  Hell, for an unfinished receiver, they look great!

Park kit is on the way ;)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Sort of wish I'd seen this thread before I bought everything I need to bend flats.  Oh well, too late now! Looks like these are a good deal.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I know right, $55 a pop shipped!?  that's not a bad deal at all.  As long as you can get a decent FFL transfer fee.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#16]
yeah specially considering how it it easy to sell them with they recievers seriald recievers
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
yeah specially considering how it it easy to sell them with they recievers seriald recievers

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#18]
the 100% recievers are registered firearms and so once there are assembled they can be sold very very easy and be completly legal.  The recievers made from flats and not regestered and are legal for personal use but things start getting debateable (please lets not debate it) how many you sell or how to sell them before it becomes illegal.  The ones from DCI make that all a non-issue.  That is what i ment
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top