Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2010 10:23:19 AM EDT
Hey guys, I was wondering how you deal with shooting corrosive ammo through an AMD. Since the muzzle brake is pinned, doesn't carbon and corrosion accumulate inside the muzzle brake, or on the barrel crown?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#1]
everybody here  will say clean with hot soapy water   to wash out the salts  then dry it   next oil it
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What's with this hot soapy water business? I've never had a barrel rust if it was cleaned like any other.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess that would work, but how would one scrape the carbon off the crown? I took the flash hider off of my AR for the first time in a while, and there was a significant amount of carbon caked on the front of the barrel. I can't image shooting dirty ammo through an AK will be any better...

A little background info, I'm in the market for a beater/trunk gun, looking at different AK's now. I was drawn to the AMD by its compactness, but I was wondering about maintenance.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I was wondering how you deal with shooting corrosive ammo through an AMD. Since the muzzle brake is pinned, doesn't carbon and corrosion accumulate inside the muzzle brake, or on the barrel crown?

This is a wise question. I had a pin-on brake before I threaded the barrel end on my old FEG and I fired some Yugo. I forgot about the brake and muzzle. The corrosive salts attacked the chrome that overlaps the crown - fortunately, it didn't get into the bore. To neutralize corrosive residues, wash the rifle with an emulsion of 10 parts water to 1 part Ballistol. Stick the muzzle of your AMD down in the emulsion up to the sight base and swish it around. This takes care of the salts in the muzzle area. Blast out the brake and barrel extension with brake cleaner. Use straight Ballistol for your lube/preservative/bore cleaner, and get it into the brake/extension/crown area. Forget about using a metallic instrument to scrape carbon off the crown or out of the brake - all you'll do is mess up the crown. After every 1000 rounds, stick the front end of the AMD down in a tub of carburetor soak for a few days - there won't be any carbon on it when you take it out. The same thing for the AR guys with welded FHs. We don't have to worry about corrosive salts, but that's how to get rid of the carbon build-up in the muzzle area.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a wise question. I had a pin-on brake before I threaded the barrel end on my old FEG and I fired some Yugo. I forgot about the brake and muzzle. The corrosive salts attacked the chrome that overlaps the crown - fortunately, it didn't get into the bore. To neutralize corrosive residues, wash the rifle with an emulsion of 10 parts water to 1 part Ballistol. Stick the muzzle of your AMD down in the emulsion up to the sight base and swish it around. This takes care of the salts in the muzzle area. Blast out the brake and barrel extension with brake cleaner. Use straight Ballistol for your lube/preservative/bore cleaner, and get it into the brake/extension/crown area. Forget about using a metallic instrument to scrape carbon off the crown or out of the brake - all you'll do is mess up the crown. After every 1000 rounds, stick the front end of the AMD down in a tub of carburetor soak for a few days - there won't be any carbon on it when you take it out. The same thing for the AR guys with welded FHs. We don't have to worry about corrosive salts, but that's how to get rid of the carbon build-up in the muzzle area.

Awesome advice, thanks! I knew someone on arfcom would have the answer.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top