Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/5/2006 2:45:42 PM EDT
Is there a resource that will let me know whether or not a certain type of ammo is corrosive, by looking at its headstamps? I checked the guide tacked to the top of this thread, but it doesnt list whether or not the ammo is corrosive, just where it came from.  

The reason I ask is I got some 7.62x39 recently as a throw in, and want to shoot it, but dont want to ruin (or deal with cleaning corrosive ammo =) ) my gun.  Headstamp is 22 over 80.  

Also thinking about buying some russian or bulgarian(1994) surplus.  This stuff ok?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#2]
All of it? 100%?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks RS39, seller was trying to convince me otherwise...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]
But contrary to the perception, corrosive ammo will not just attack your barrel...Its mildly corrosive and if you spray a little windex in your barrel and gas tube it'll neutralize instantly.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#6]
EDIT: That rommy ammo is definatly corrosive.

Corrosive ammo is not hard to clean.. to be safe I always use a bit of amonia water to nuetralize the salts, but on an old Mosin I've used nothing but hoppes(and now ed's red) and it has not rusted..

YMMV of course! I like to play safe, it's only an extra minute or two of cleaning to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:10:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Like others have stated,corrosive ammo's not bad.I just use Hoppes 9,but its important to do a follow up cleaning the next day.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Just hose it down with windex and all better
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:08:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But contrary to the perception, corrosive ammo will not just attack your barrel...Its mildly corrosive and if you spray a little windex in your barrel and gas tube it'll neutralize instantly.

WTH is "mildly corrosive?  Is that like somewhat pregnant or sorta dead?

There is no such thing as "mildly corrosive.  It is eather corrosive or not.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

WTH is "mildly corrosive?  Is that like somewhat pregnant or sorta dead?

There is no such thing as "mildly corrosive".  It is eather corrosive or not.

+1
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I shoot the "evil" corrosive ammo all the time there is nothing to fear if you clean your gun after a session at the range which you should do anyways corrosive ammo or not. I have shot thousands of rounds of corrosive 8mm in my mauser, 30/06 in my BAR and 7.62x39 in my Ak and my SKS with no problems at all. So far i have yet to even have a dud round, and i am usually pleased with its accuracy especially in 8mm. Just clean your weapon properly and you got nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Won't regular NSN US Military type CLP clean this?

I have gallons of CLP.

If I need other cleaning oil. What brand? Type?

What do I need. I'm new to this whole corrosive ammo coming from the AR side
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:39:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought my first CLP back in the late 1980's when all you get was corrosive ammo and none of my rifles have rust on them. I have used CLP to clean,lubricate,and preserve all my firearms since the late 1980's. To clean a AK rifle,

Go to Wal-mart and get from these depts.

Sporting goods dept.
A pump spray bottle of Break-Free CLP www.break-free.com/
A 30cal and a 20 gauge bore brushes

Automotive dept.
A can of brake parts cleaner
A set of brushes or brush with brass or steel brissles. like this
www.woodcarvingstore.com/RotaryToolAccessories/CleaningBrushes.asp

Housewares dept.
roll of paper towels

Drug dept.
A new tooth brush.

When you get home swap out your new tooth brush for your old one.Spray down all the parts of your rifle with CLP and let it sit for 15 minuites. Use your old tooth brush to scrub the inside of the receiver and parts. Use the brass/steel brush on the gas piston. It will take several applications of CLP and scrubbing to get heavy amounts of carbon off the gas piston. A wire wheel in a electric drill can be used to cut down on the amount of scrubbing needed. Use the 30cal brush on the bore and the 20 gauge brush on the gas tube/gas block. Once clean put 4 paper towels in the bottom of the bag you brought the stuff home from Wal-mart in. Hold the parts over the bag and use the brake parts cleaner to rinse everything off. Brake parts cleaner removes everything and leaves no residue. Spray a 4"x4" piece of rag and one patch with CLP. Rub the rag on every part inside and out to lube/protect it and run the patch through the bore. Put the rag and patch in a zip lock bag to use the next time you clean your rifle. Make sure to wipe the gas piston and the inside of the gas tube and gas block. The CLP will get into the pores of the metal and not let the carbon stick tight. So the next time you clean your rifle the brass/steel brissle brush will not be needed only the tooth brush. Take the bag with the paper towels which have absorbed all the brake parts cleaner and dirt outside or in the garage to let the bpc evaporate then throw it away.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top