Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/21/2007 4:27:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2007 3:33:47 PM EDT by TGorsk08]
Final thread before my AK decision, convince me on fixed stock v.s. underfolder. Tell me the advantages and disadvantages. Pictures rule too Thanks in advance

Tyler
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:43:50 PM EDT
GET BOTH!

Seriousley, that's what I did.

If you're only gonna get one, I'm inclined to say get the fixed stock. They're more comfortable to shoot, in my opinion.

Depends on the application, really. If this thing is going to spend a lot of time in your truck or slung while you're working on the farm, the underfolder is great in it's compactness. If you're gonna be doing more range time or training courses, go for the fixed stock.

The pros and cons weigh out like this:

Fixed:
Comfortable to shoot, not as compact.

Underfolder:
Compact, but slow to put into action. Bonus point for being more evil.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:49:58 PM EDT
Underfolder is just cooler. If you only get one, go underfolder.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:34:12 PM EDT
I can only get one for now very limited funds...
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:59:38 PM EDT
Don't get something because it's "cooler." Get a fixed stock first and foremost. You'll appreciate the functionality and better cheek weld. If you decide you like it, go underfolder later. BTW, what caliber and make are you looking to get?

Bud
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:21:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2007 6:22:48 PM EDT by MoonDancer]
I love my underfolder... it's the epitome of an EVIL rifle.
Having said that, if getting just one, get the fixed stock version. Try both a Warsaw and a NATO length if possible and decide which is better. My fixed stock AK came with the NATO length stock and I replaced it with a K-Var Warsaw Pact length version. The fixed stock version now has a Smith Enterprise Vortex flashhider, but other than that it's unchanged. Here's my two:

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:59:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2007 7:01:04 PM EDT by decoy]
Get a side folder best of both.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:23:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2007 7:25:12 PM EDT by HoosierFIRE]
Just get an underfolder, my father who has been a shooter of over 40 years, LOVES the underfolder. Mind you, this is a man who shoots cowboy guns religiously, and wanted an AK underfolder so badly. I bought him one, and he's had the biggest shitty grin on his face for the last 5 months Like others said, its EVIL + EVIL for the liberals. But in my case, I bought my old man an underfolder + a 100rd chi com drum so he's in heaven He's ready for an alien invasion or whatever the hell else that comes into his way
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2007 7:25:25 PM EDT by TGorsk08]

Originally Posted By Bachelor_of_Science:
Don't get something because it's "cooler." Get a fixed stock first and foremost. You'll appreciate the functionality and better cheek weld. If you decide you like it, go underfolder later. BTW, what caliber and make are you looking to get?

Bud

I have a fixed stock and like it already, Arsenal SLR105A1. I'm lookin at a 7.62 AK, and the models im looking at are the Lancaster Polish Underfoldes, and the Lancaster AKM47RM. I would get a side folder, but I dont know how to install that stuff, and it would cost more money that I really dont have The ONLY thing im concerned about is if an underfolder is really comfortable to shoot...im not usually picky but i've heard people talk really bad about them...
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:31:41 PM EDT
Pro: The coolness of an underfolder on an AK is off the scale.
Pro: It really scares the hell out of certain politicians.

Con: Very, very uncomfortable cheekweld.

As much as I have always wanted an underfolder I'm damned glad my only AK has a fixed stock. How if I come across a second AK it'll be wearing an underfolder stock.

Gotta' agree that the sidefolder is the best of both types.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:35:36 PM EDT
I really do love the look of the underfolders, and the compactness it can get to. The only thing is cheekweld, and how some people say its terrible. And it does piss off liberals
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:52:04 PM EDT
Get a russian style sidefolder. Underfolders suck IMO They wiggle, and the cheek weld sucks
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:30:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2007 5:34:15 AM EDT by TGorsk08]

Originally Posted By NonConformist:
Get a russian style sidefolder. Underfolders suck IMO They wiggle, and the cheek weld sucks

Thats not one of my options the place i'm shopping at is Atlantic, and they don't have any side folders that I like.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:08:04 AM EDT
The underfolder's cheek weld isn't so great, but my Vector underfolder still shoots great, and it took me about 5 minutes to get used to it. Once you find a comfortable position, it's fine. They do wobble a bit, but if you want to piss off the liberals, the only thing worse is a barrel shroud- you know, "the thing that comes up to the shoulder."
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:32:03 AM EDT
What exactly makes the cheekweld bad? Could you show me how cheekweld is possible (picture)? I really can't find any examples or anything...And I hear the wobbling can be fixed by tightening a screw or something
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:56:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TGorsk08:
Final thread before my AK decision, convince me on fixed stock v.s. underfolder. Tell me the advantages and disadvantages. Pictures rule too Thanks in advance

Tyler

i have experience with my dad's yugo underfolder and it is awesome, i like the fact that it can be shortned and takes up less space ie trunk etc. they are good shooters, and not only that but they are more comfortable to shoot than many others, like my mak-90 for example. they are even easy to shoot when the stock is folded under like a big pistol! thier fit and finish is excellent. even with teh metal stock which i thought was gonna be a pian to shoot with a good stock weld this was simply not the case at all, i couldn't tell that ot was metal at all, soft shooting it is.

the only thing that you might want to change is the trigger, go with the tapco trigger and you will be good to go. there is a little bit of slap to my dad's but that is the only negative thing i have to say about it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:19:07 AM EDT
Wobbly underfolders, hmmm, must be a European thing. The Chinese one I had and the others I have handled were rock solid, even after they were 20 years old (well used too).

Underfolders are cool as hell and there isn't much of a difference when shooting between the two.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:35:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DoTheDietDew:

Tyler

i have experience with my dad's yugo underfolder and it is awesome, i like the fact that it can be shortned and takes up less space ie trunk etc. they are good shooters, and not only that but they are more comfortable to shoot than many others, like my mak-90 for example. they are even easy to shoot when the stock is folded under like a big pistol! thier fit and finish is excellent. even with teh metal stock which i thought was gonna be a pian to shoot with a good stock weld this was simply not the case at all, i couldn't tell that ot was metal at all, soft shooting it is.

the only thing that you might want to change is the trigger, go with the tapco trigger and you will be good to go. there is a little bit of slap to my dad's but that is the only negative thing i have to say about it.

I'm looking at Polish so, and i've always heard Polish is high quality, so the manufacturing company doesnt worry me. I think Yugo's are ugly anyways but thanks for the info any more is appreciated, I havn't decided yet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:44:06 AM EDT
If you're more about lookin cool, then the UF is the way to go.

If you're more into function and comfort, wood is good. (sidefolder triangle stocks are a close second).
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:52:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2007 11:55:09 AM EDT by MoonDancer]
TGorsk08 - Here's a piece of advice... get the one that really gives you the biggest smile when you hold it. As I show above with my picture, I have both. The fixed-stock is slightly more comfortable to shoot for me, and I want to emphasize the word "slightly" here.

I bought the UF first and decided I need a taAKticool version, hence the fixed stock version. I still am glad I bought the UF and have no intentions of getting rid of it. Having both, if I were to go into harm's way knowing in advance I would need to use a rifle, I'd take the fixed stock. But I would not feel undergunned with the underfolder either.

Don't let us talk you into getting a fixed-stock if you really want an underfolder. You're a member of arfcom, so that means eventually you'll "get both".

ETA to say "my bad" I didn't realize you already had a fixed stock version. In that case, GET THE UNDERFOLDER! You'll smile every time you handle it 'cause you know it pisses off the leftist gun-grabbing pieces of shit that think you shouldn't have something they think is scary.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:54:01 AM EDT
Comfort is for couch potatoes. Get an underfolder and "buck up".
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:09:03 PM EDT
I wish I could hold an underfolder and see for myself, maybe i'm over reacting but I don't know...more oppinions still welcome! Leaning towards the underfolder now...
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 1:07:41 PM EDT

I wish I could hold an underfolder and see for myself, maybe i'm over reacting but I don't know...more oppinions still welcome! Leaning towards the underfolder now...

I had the same concern until I went to a shop and handled the underfold. It felt completly natural, similar to an AR collapsible stock.GO WITH THE UNDERFOLD!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:50:33 PM EDT

My double underfolder
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:01:24 PM EDT
Is a double underfolder the same as a normal one
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:25:45 PM EDT

Stock underfolds; bayonet underfolds; hence, double underfolder.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:40:06 PM EDT
I recommend a good underfolder AK to have for looks, coolness, and to shoot occasionally. Then get a cheap old full stock SKS for it's comfort and accuracy as a range gun.

Underfolders aren't bad for comfort's sake, and even the low cheek weld isn't so bad once you get used to it. It just takes slightly longer to get it tucked in just right.

Most of the time, when storing or especially when transporting, you'll be glad you got the underfolder. Only towards the end of your range day when your shoulder starts getting sore will you wish you didn't.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:46:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Richard257:

Stock underfolds; bayonet underfolds; hence, double underfolder.

Ohhhhhh...thanks Anyways, i've decided on the underfolder...thanks for the help everybody! I hope this doesnt come back to kick me in the face
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 9:20:16 AM EDT
Double Underfolder Polytech AKS762

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 10:07:00 AM EDT
Could anybody post a picture of somebody shooting one so I could get an idea of the cheekweld?
Top Top