Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/12/2005 7:53:48 AM EDT
I'm going to install a folding stock on my rifle, and I'd like to use a Russian AK-100 series sidefolder. I just can't decide which type to go with; the skeleton type or the solid poly type. Looking for pros-cons of each.

Skeleton- more available, slimmer profile, no storage, not really "correct" for an AK-103.

Poly- better "shooting" stock, has storage for "stuff", correct for AK103, bulky, hard to find (thus $$$).

Can these be used with an optic attached to the side rail or does the rail need to be unoccupied to fold the stock?

Anything else I should consider?
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Both need the optic to be removed.

I just got a bulgarian AKS-74 with the skeleton stock. I like it. Its light and still has a good cheekweld. Its authentic for the gun. Havent shot it yet, but i dont expect its thinness to be a problem with the light recoil of 5.45.

But i like the looks of the polymer russian folder as well. If it was correct for a bulgarian rifle i'd probably get one. Hell i still might, who knows.

If you're doing a 103 i say polymer.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Steel conducts heat better than plastic, so shooting the "skeleton" type folder can be unpleasant if you shoot at either end of the temperature scale.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm going to install a folding stock on my rifle, and I'd like to use a Russian AK-100 series sidefolder. I just can't decide which type to go with; the skeleton type or the solid poly type. Looking for pros-cons of each.

Skeleton- more available, slimmer profile, no storage, not really "correct" for an AK-103.

Poly- better "shooting" stock, has storage for "stuff", correct for AK103, bulky, hard to find (thus $$$).

Can these be used with an optic attached to the side rail or does the rail need to be unoccupied to fold the stock?

Anything else I should consider?

Apologies up front if I'm wrong (it's happened )...

The triangle/skeleton folder is an AK-74 stock, the sold polymer folder is an AK-10X stock.

Both require the rail to be unoccupied for the stock to lock into the receiver, but not to fold.

I've got the triangles on my AK-74's, and am getting the solid folder for my AK-103 build.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am getting the solid folder for my AK-103 build.

Any idea on where to find these? I've scoured the internet looking, but can't seem to locate any. I found an ad where Tantal was selling them, but then noticed that the ad was dated 1999.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
You just need to check the usual spots:  EE, Sturmgewehr, Goonsnet, Gunsco.  Those places - and they are pretty darn expensive if you can find the whole kit.

Spooky
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#7]
That's funny I just won an earlier auction.  I would have to agree about the conducting heat and cold comment.  In the desert steel gets really really hot.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
RUSMILITARY

Order one and get on the backorder list, then follow up with him about every two weeks. I bought four from him over about six months. he won't charge your account till it ships.

The polymer folder offers no 'storage', there is only a button to open it with. edited to state my memory sometimes plays tricks on me Yes, it does.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice 103. Who did it for you? Or did you do it yourself?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Can these stocks be installed on milled Bulgarians?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Marshall Arms had some of these stocks.............that's where mine is coming from
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Marshall Arms had some of these stocks.............that's where mine is coming from

Marshall Arms is sold out.

I ended up bidding on one of the stocks listed in the Gunbroker dutch auction listed in an above post. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#16]
There is a set on the EE now, pg and hg's too.  $385
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#17]
wow kick ass thanks for pointing out that auction,...i just put one on order too,..it gonna go on the kit i just got from k-var,..and the skelition stock will be saved for a AK-1** im working on.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Hi!!

Does anybody have "ruseller"   email address/contact information?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, I missed this thread.

I ordered my stock from ruseller on GunBroker.

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchForm.asp?Tab=3

Just type in "ruseller" and then click "Search" and look for the stock in there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:42:13 AM EDT
[#20]
From an authenticity stand point, which stock would be correct for the AK-100 series of rifles?

I was under the impression that skeleton stocks weren't used on the AK-100 rifles.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:42:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes, poly on AK100. Skeleton on AK74.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Hmmm, then WTF is that above the release button?

Brian, thats where baby AK's come from, I thought everyone knew that........

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:37:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Would the Bulgarian triangle side-folder rifle (AKS-74) be considered an AK-74M with the addition of an optic rail and folding poly stock?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hi!!

Thanks!!

Ruseller is Andrei Kouznetsov, he used to sell as Andy Arts on Ebay, I ordered an AKM stock set from him and got it promptly (it was absolutely gorgeous and brand spanking NEW), then I ordered one of these polymer sets about a year ago and I never got it. I stil try to contact him and he still gives me all kinds of excuses for not sending it to me yet he had no problem getting the money from me. Iasked him to return the $$$ if he could not send the stock and he said he can only return 10% of what I sent him. I am still waiting...BUYER BEWARE, it is vedry difficult to get things into the USA from Russia!

UPDATE:

I just got a communication from Andrei, He says he has about 50 other orders that were lost in US customs and that these would be re-shipped within 10 days. I am not sure what will happen but I am hopeful as this cost me over $200.00 and contrary to what you might have heard, I am NOT wealthy. Anyway, will keep you posted.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Here are some pics of both types of stock. Hope it helps.

These are both Russian stocks, the bulgarian triangle is slightly different but not enough to be noticeable to most people.

Notice they are not compatible although they can be modified to be used on the same trunnion.

Trunnions are different.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would the Bulgarian triangle side-folder rifle (AKS-74) be considered an AK-74M with the addition of an optic rail and folding poly stock?

According to Izhmash's website, the AK-74M is a 74 with the side rail and folding poly stock...

www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/ak74m.shtml
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I gotta get a AK-100 folder for my Saiga conversion.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi!!

Thanks!!

Ruseller is Andrei Kouznetsov, he used to sell as Andy Arts on Ebay, I ordered an AKM stock set from him and got it promptly (it was absolutely gorgeous and brand spanking NEW), then I ordered one of these polymer sets about a year ago and I never got it. I stil try to contact him and he still gives me all kinds of excuses for not sending it to me yet he had no problem getting the money from me. Iasked him to return the $$$ if he could not send the stock and he said he can only return 10% of what I sent him. I am still waiting...BUYER BEWARE, it is vedry difficult to get things into the USA from Russia!

UPDATE:

I just got a communication from Andrei, He says he has about 50 other orders that were lost in US customs and that these would be re-shipped within 10 days. I am not sure what will happen but I am hopeful as this cost me over $200.00 and contrary to what you might have heard, I am NOT wealthy. Anyway, will keep you posted.

how did you pay? money order,.. credit card?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I think it was bidpay but I really do not remember as it was about a year ago. Like I said he contacted me today and said that the shipment will be out in 10 days...we shall see...anyway, I do not want the $$$, I want the stock set.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a SVD bipod disappear down that black hole too.  Hope its true about those 50 orders, cause mine is one of them.  Its been 1 year today in fact.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I think it was bidpay but I really do not remember as it was about a year ago. Like I said he contacted me today and said that the shipment will be out in 10 days...we shall see...anyway, I do not want the $$$, I want the stock set.

Hopefully it all works out, as I was also one of those who bought one from him today.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Me too.  I just bought 2 from him.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Just curious.  For those with the Russian or Bulgarian sidefolding stocks.  The rear sling swivel is located on the folding portion of the stock itself.  So if the stock is extended, the swivel is on the right side of the weapon.  If it is folded, its on the left.  How does that actually effect carrying the weapon slung?  The sling gets a twist in it folded or extended depending on which position it was in when you attached the sling.  Does the twist make any difference when you carry it, i.e. comfort, or is it purely a stupid cosmetic kind of thing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#35]
He might be out now............last week I ordered just the stock and hardware, but he had a stock, hardware and handguard set for around 225 or so...........I lucked out getting the stock that I got

Quoted:

Quoted:

Marshall Arms is sold out.

I ended up bidding on one of the stocks listed in the Gunbroker dutch auction listed in an above post. Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Just how hard would it be to install one of these in a fixed stock rifle? Jnewt--How much???
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I notice this in the description:

"2. The estimate delivery time of gun spares is about 8-10 weeks from Russia to home of recipients.
The estimate delivering time of other items - 12-20 business days"

I've been wanting one of those for awhile now. How much was shipping?

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#38]
you woud have to remove the rear tang,.and install new one,.and cut reciver so the thing folds,..shouldent be all that hard if you have the right tools
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Is everybody worried about delivery of these? I'd  think he'd sell out in about an hour -

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I notice this in the description:

"2. The estimate delivery time of gun spares is about 8-10 weeks from Russia to home of recipients.
The estimate delivering time of other items - 12-20 business days"

I've been wanting one of those for awhile now. How much was shipping?

From Andrei's e-mail to me:

"AK-74M/AK-105 plastic buttstock w/folding hardware - Item #35355137

Your bid: $129.99
Discount(10%): $13.00
Actual price: $116.99
S&H: $28.00
Insurance: $11.70
Total: $156.69

Will be shipped within next 10-15 days - it should get exporting approval of Russian
customs first."

If I hadn't chosen the optional insurance, then it would have been $144.99 SHIPPED.

Quoted:
Is everybody worried about delivery of these?

I can't speak for the other buyers, but I'm not worried. You have to take chances to get the cool stuff.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Just curious.  For those with the Russian or Bulgarian sidefolding stocks.  The rear sling swivel is located on the folding portion of the stock itself.  So if the stock is extended, the swivel is on the right side of the weapon.  If it is folded, its on the left.  How does that actually effect carrying the weapon slung?  The sling gets a twist in it folded or extended depending on which position it was in when you attached the sling.  Does the twist make any difference when you carry it, i.e. comfort, or is it purely a stupid cosmetic kind of thing.

It looks funky, but it works quite well, I had no problems carrying mine a few weeks ago, and it felt no different than any other regular AK. If you look carefuly at russian soldiers carrying AK74Ms, what they very often do is put the sling backand over the plate on the stock itself and then tighten it so it is very tight and does not interfere with anything else or even swing around, of course you cannot sling the rifle over your shoulder that way, but you don't get tangled anywhere either. Quite clever I think.

About Andrei all I can say is that I was very happy with the first stock set I got from him and that the problems experience by many of us were only a temporary thing. I look forward to receiveing my stock set, and if I ever receive it I will do business again with him in the future as he does have cool stuff. I will also try to post some pics of the rifle being carried wiith the sling.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top