Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/16/2008 8:25:18 AM EDT
As far as tactical weapons, I have been exclusevly an AR-15 shooter, but now I wish to buy an AK. I quite recently read an advertisment from a vendor I have never heard of, but my ignorance of AK vendors may be due to my focus on the AR. The vendor's name is Classic Arms Inc, and they currently have a host of products that appear to be new and the prices are much lower than I would have guessed. What I would like to know is whether or not any of the AK shooters here have done business with Classic Arms and whether they are a legitimate retailer. If so, I will in all likelihood buy one of their carbines after a little research time on this side of AR-15.com. They also offer for sale mags, and spares. If you have any cautions and warnings for me regarding pieces and parts, I would be grateful for that info as well. And, it's a lot of fun on this side.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Classic Arms is good folks; I've bought several AKs from them over the years as well as ammo and accessories.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd buy from classicarms again. I bought a rifle that had some problems. It was exchanged without drama. They paid for return shipping UNLIKE ARSENAL!

Good price and they took care of me when there was a problem. I can't ask for more.

BSW
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have bought thousands of dollars in firearms, parts and ammo from Ben at Classic Arms.  They have always been prompt, courteous and quick to address any concerns I might have.

Highly recommend.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Ben is good people, I recently found myself in the same boat as you. I purchased a hard chrome Yugo M70B1 runs great and for the money CA deals are hard to beat.

I must add, they are very easy to do business with, I will buy another weapon from them...

Better hurry if you want a yugo
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Very good people! I have bought about 4 AKs and a Cetme from them within the past  month and a half and have no complaints. Now I wish my local FFL would quit gouging me on transfer fees but i guess that comes with the territory. Great prices, great rifles and they really do a good job in communicating the quality of the rifles. I have never been dissappointed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I would do business with them again.  Their Romanian G rifle is OK for the price.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I would do business with them again.  Their Romanian G rifle is OK for the price.  

If you don't mind the JB Weld "securing" the gas piston!
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

its an AK, JB weld is acceptable
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got my aes10b from them this week.

The front sight is beyond canted and I cut myself on the magwell.

I called em up this morning about and the lady who answered said " when its an ak problem I have to have you talk to_____"

I asked what the usual response was and she said "I'll have him call you"

Well, no call 8 hrs later.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

its an AK, JB weld is acceptable

Maybe to you, maybe to someone else, but not to me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I called em up this morning about and the lady who answered said " when its an ak problem I have to have you talk to_____"

Might be better off call Century and having them send you a prepaid return tag. Century is pretty good about either repairing or sending a corrected replacement.

Classic will either suggest the Century direct return or make you send it back to them on your dime.

FWIW, I actually got the same rifle coming in from Classic this week also.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might be better off call Century and having them send you a prepaid return tag. Century is pretty good about either repairing or sending a corrected replacement.

Classic will either suggest the Century direct return or make you send it back to them on your dime.

FWIW, I actually got the same rifle coming in from Classic this week also.

That's not what happened with me. Bad AES-10B was shipped back to classicarms on their UPS label. They threw in a extra 40 round mag to help make up for my having to go thru my FFL again.

BSW
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought an AES-10B from them right when they got them. I ordered them right before they raised the price on them and they honored the earlier price even though it shipped later which I thought was nice. They shipped very fast and my order went off without a hitch. When I spoke to them on the phone both times I got the feeling that they were really busy because they wanted to get me off the phone fast.

I wouldn't put much weight in some of the information on their website but they are a good dealer. They've got good prices and they do their job very well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I have bought 2 rifles from them, one is the Romanian guard, and a Yugo. Very good service and fast shipping for me at least, both guns arrived well packed and in very good
condition. For the money I don't think you can beat classic armshttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2068/2419528529_d4c7e44eb7_b.jpg.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 3:43:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I am astonished with the replys in response to my query about ClassicArms, and you have convinced me to give them some business. With the vendor issue settled, my next question has to do with the product. Are the AKs 'new', or are they surplus picked from the battlefield. I know very little about AKs. I think they are chambered in both .223 and 7.62; if that is true, which would you recommend. And, after closely reviewing the product line on the web, I am unsure which model would provide me with the most fun, and the least problems. I have enjoyed my Bushmaster for such a long time, and I knew a great deal about the weapon before I bought it. But, I will have to buy the AK based on the advice from those of you who know the guns, and who can point me in the right direction---if you would be so kind. Again, thanks for your time and personal consideration.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:59:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am astonished with the replys in response to my query about ClassicArms, and you have convinced me to give them some business. With the vendor issue settled, my next question has to do with the product. Are the AKs 'new', or are they surplus picked from the battlefield. I know very little about AKs. I think they are chambered in both .223 and 7.62; if that is true, which would you recommend. And, after closely reviewing the product line on the web, I am unsure which model would provide me with the most fun, and the least problems. I have enjoyed my Bushmaster for such a long time, and I knew a great deal about the weapon before I bought it. But, I will have to buy the AK based on the advice from those of you who know the guns, and who can point me in the right direction---if you would be so kind. Again, thanks for your time and personal consideration.

The WASRs are new rifles. Century brings them in as low capacity, converts them to take high capacity magazines and adds the required number of US parts.
The Romanian G (Civil Guard) rifles are built from parts kits. The rifles were purchased from the Romanian gov't., brought to a bonded customs warehouse and cut up. The rifles are then rebuilt on a US made receiver, with other US parts to comply with federal law.
The Yugos were also parts kit guns, but have a new US made barrel, since the bores on the original barrels were bad.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:48:43 AM EDT
[#18]
bought a few rifles and accesories form Classic... great company to do bizz with.. i shop there first when ever possible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It depends on the rifle: Every rifle is going to have a new receiver as there is no legal way (in the US) to convert a automatic rifle into a semi-automatic using the original receiver. The parts kits that are used to build the rifle can be from unissued rifles (like my AES-10B was) or from rifles that were issued and have varying degrees of wear.

If you have questions, call the vendor and ask. You have a lot better chance of gettting exactly what you want/are willing to pay for.

BSW
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't think you can go wrong with any Ak, as they are so reliable, but I would stay away
from the WASR built by century, just as they seem to have the most problems, such as
mag wooble and canted front sights. The main reason I bought the Romainian civil guard Ak
is that the receiver is made for high capacity mags instead of having to be cut out to accept them (I think you can tell by the dimples in the side of receiver), also the rifle is built by Heavy Metal Armory which seems to be a good builder. All the Yugos I have seen have been very nice looking firearms, but the cheek wield takes some getting use to, also the Yugos are the only ones to not chrome line there barrels.

There is a lot of good info on this site, you just have to search for it, I am glad that I found this site before I ran out and bought something I knew nothing about. Thanks to every one on this board for helping us newbs out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#21]
They shipped my beloved WASR 22 to  my FFL in PRK  and for that I'm forever gratefull !
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
WASR built by century

WASRs are NOT "built by Century"
The rifles are built in Romania and are so marked, as required by Federal law.
The rifles are imported by Century and are so marked, as required by Federal law.

Century converts the rifles to accept high capacity magazines, and adds the required US parts.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry I should have said converted instead of built
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Century converts the rifles to accept high capacity magazines, and adds the required US parts.

Sometimes the monkey's (with apologies to actual simians)  even get it right. But don't count on it.

I'm getting of the opinion that one should only buy a CAI product if you can inspect it for yourself to check for canted FSB and a hogged out magwell.

BSW

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm getting of the opinion that one should only buy a CAI product if you can inspect it for yourself to check for canted FSB and a hogged out magwell.

That's an opinion shared by many others, and not limited to Century, at least with regard to the sights.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Classic Arms  is great
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I have bought several AR's and AK's from Chuck and he has never steered me wrong. He is usually at all of the local gunshows here in N.C.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I recently bought a Romy G, AES 10B, and a fixed Yugo from Classic.  First, the Romy arrived without a cleaning rod. Second, the Yugo's FSB was canted BIG TIME. Third, the AES10B's FSB was also canted and could only be zero'd by using a combination of front and rear sight windage adjustment.  I decided to live with the AES10 but called about the Yugo and missing Romy rod.  They offered to either refund my $$ on the Yugo (I pay shipping back) or give me a Century number to call and apologized for the missing Romy rod and said they would send that out.  I decided to get my $$ back on the Yugo and sent it back mid last week, hopefully I see the refund on my CC soon.  As far as the cleaning rod, its been 2 weeks and still no rod???? If that doesn't come soon, I guess I'll have to call them again......
Oh, and the FCG that was in romy had a disconector "mod" but still double tapped on a regular basis....I'm gonna try a arsenal FCG I guess.
So, while the folks at Classic were pleasant to speak to, I ordered three rifles and had issues with all three.
What have I learned about this experience? Either never buy without a hands on inspection, or pay a little extra and get a vector or equivalent.
Just my $.02
pit
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Oh, and the FCG that was in romy had a disconector "mod" but still double tapped on a regular basis....I'm gonna try a arsenal FCG I guess.
pit

I think you can get the FCG to work. I had the same problem on my Lancaster . You may need to grind a bevel on the back edge of the hammer or work on the disconnector a little more. You may have the same issue with the Arsenal FCG. Take a look at the ARS website as he describes how to fix this problem.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Well Classic got my aes10b last monday that I returned.

I call my ffl today to see if the replacement had arrived. He tells me no and that they called him last week wanting a copy of his ffl for the return They had it already or I wouldn't have had the rifle to return in the first place.

So I call them today, they haven't shipped a replacement and they have no idea where the rifle I sent them is, they don't see it anywhere. Call back tomorrow.

Last $$$$$ I'll spend there.
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I decided to shoot the dice with them wednesday i orderd a (ROM-AKG ..... $379.95)
We'll see
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I have had great service out of them. I bought and EAS-10B and ammo. I ordered more ammo from them today.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm giving them a shot today on an AES-10B. Good luck to me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Hope they wise up and get 30 more WASR 22's (After all the good press I have provided them on the Firearm Forum/boards) !
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Classic Arms are really good people and they stand behind the products they sell, last year I bought a Yugo UF (first AK) and did not notice when I got it that the Trunion was bended and was really hard to put and remove the cover. I tried to fix it myself but the metal in the trunion is super hard and was not able to (don't know if UPS bended it or it came like that from Century). Bottom line is that I called Classic Arms  and after shipping the AK back got another one that was perfect.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Ive always had good dealing with them.

They are only 2.5 hours away so if I ever get stiffed I will be paying them a visit.

FREE
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#37]
They are good people to deal with, but prices tend to be higher SLIGHTLY than other places.

Ship fast, too.

The two rifles I have ordered from them have not been as nice as other equivalent rifles from other vendors (A k31 and a WASR10).
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#38]
They're my favorite C&R Dealer. Great to deal with. But remember, they don't BUILD the rifles they sell. They are the wholesaler. I got a TG built PSL from them that was a beaten POS. They had none left in stock to exchange it with. But they did put me in touch with the President of TGI the next day and they took care of me.

Sometimes their price is a bit above the competition on C&R stuff. But IME their rifles are the best condition and Ben under rates them. I got a Finnish M39 in from them yesterday and its in nearly unissued condition! It was like opening a time capsule! I'm happy as heck with it!

Classic Arms is a great Dealer in my book.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top