Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 6:14:55 AM EDT
I live at the beach.  Not near the beach, at the beach.  The finish on my Bulgy SA-M7 holds up just fine to rust and corrosion, unfortunately, the bolt and bolt carrier are not finished.  Its just bare steel and has started to rust.  I oil it.  I take good care of it. I don't treat it like one of my SARs (which rust but I don't care).  Despite my gloved treatment the SA-M7 still rusts.

So I was thinking, why not have the bolt and bolt carrier, and maybe the gas rod, chrome plated (like some people do with AR's)?  Has anybody done this?  And/or do you know a good place to do the work?

I hate having such a fine rifle with such a glaring defect.  I want to fix it.  Any ideas? Does anything think that the added hardness might damage the rest of the rifle? My feeling is no, but if someone has some hard data on this (not just chrome scares me BS), please state it.

Thanks! -

-SS
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the bright-hard chrome does not go with the motiff of black for your AK. Here is a suggestion, have you looked into those hi-tech teflon-based finishes that you can get in black? I saw an ad from Robar or Birdsong Black-T. I understand these finishes are good for parts where they rub like on bolts etc. and can stand up well to salt-water corrision spray tesing. I think these types of finishes have teflon particles embedded in them. I would contact them and see if the manufacturers recommend their finishes for your application.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The piston and piston rod are chromed.

You can also get a can of flat black aluminahyde II epoxy paint from Brownells and paint it.  It will be at least as rust resistant as the rest of the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I dunno about applying the finish myself.  I painted an M1A stock once and let's just say that stock hasn't been seen out in public.  I think I'll get it chromed just for kicks and grins.  Should Raoul Duke send me on any more covert tactical missions, I will simply spray the chrome plating black so that I can move undetected through the jungle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
It is easy to paint something one color.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes,  but I think it would be cool to have it chrome plated.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are comitted, I would go with robar NP-3 as it is a plating with a teflon matrix and has very good dry lubricational properties as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:25:02 AM EDT
[#9]
While NP-3 is an interesting option, it's still not as strong as chrome.  I'll just go chrome or nickle, then I don't have to worry about it again.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:29:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok I like nickel. So who does a good chemical nickel bath?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top