Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 11:17:24 PM EDT
I remember getting a catalogue back in '96 and it advertised Chinese AKS74U's (or they could have been in 7.62 x 39 ).  IIRC they were underfolders.  The description said they were some of the few that were imported from China.  They were SBR and it had a note explaining the process of owning a SBR.  I have searched google many times and come up empty.  Has anybody seen these?  Better yet does anybody have one?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, there was a small amount of Chinese AK 74's that got into the country before the '89 ban.  I believe that someone on here posted a picture of one.  I don't remember hearing anything about them being SBRs though.  They are now very expensive if I remember all of this correctly.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
there might be possibly one, or at the least 2, 88 series rifles that may have came into this country to show potential importers prior to the 89 ban...........but none of them were ever imported. as for the SBR version of the 74U, if there was a catalogue of, I never seen one on the web. and usually you will find just about anything on the web
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...you mean like this?
www.chicom47.com/Pics/norinco.jpg

I KNEW IT!!!!!! I swear I had seen a box for one of these in the news...I think it was when they thought the security guard was the olympic park bomber and they searched his house. I saw that video and in it they show an officer walking out with a box labled AK74, That's when I knew I had to have one since they were already here in the USA. I asked around and nobody knew anything about these rifles and for a while I thought I must have been going crazy but finally I know I was right then. Now, could you post a larger picture or just e-mail it to me? [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I remember getting a catalogue back in '96 and it advertised Chinese AKS74U's (or they could have been in 7.62 x 39 ).  IIRC they were underfolders.  The description said they were some of the few that were imported from China.  They were SBR and it had a note explaining the process of owning a SBR.  I have searched google many times and come up empty.  Has anybody seen these?  Better yet does anybody have one?

They would have to have been some sort of Stateside conversions.

SBRs are not allowed to be imported for Civilian sale. Been like that since the 68 GCA.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a tough one.  I wish I would have kept the catalogue.  I think I remember where I saw it.  I will email them and ask them about it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I do know that RPB and others were selling Chinese style shorty barrel conversions for pistols, MGs, etc. As far as I know though, they were US made/modified stuff not factory parts.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
there might be possibly one, or at the least 2, 88 series rifles that may have came into this country to show potential importers prior to the 89 ban...........but none of them were ever imported. as for the SBR version of the 74U, if there was a catalogue of, I never seen one on the web. and usually you will find just about anything on the web

Two of then 88 series semi-auto rifles were listed for sale in "Gun List" several years ago (6 or 7 years IIRC).  They were indeed "sales samples" brought in and were made by Norinco.  I believe the offered price was either $2,495 or $3,495 each.

The picture on the brochure isn't a mock-up but an actual rifle intended for the US market, as witnessed by the semi-auto only selector stop that is unique to chinese AK's.  I find it very interesting that they were made in the European front trunion rivet pattern instead of the staggered pattern usually found on Chinese AK's.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There was one offered for sale a couple years back on one of the EE's(honestly can't remember which), it was at a firearms store in Boaz KY iirc, they had full documentation etc, asking price was $2,800. It took about 3~4 days to sell.

Jeep - go ahead and admit you got it!  I wondered where the nice copy of the "88" manual came from.  Fess up - you bought it cause its the ultimate ChiCom semi-auto collectible.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top