Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/4/2006 5:08:57 PM EDT
Well im trying to polish the Charging Handel on my Sar-1 and i got the Blue & Rust remover and took off the blue on the charging Handel an what is left is grey and now i dont know what to do Next any help would be greatly appreciated and can someone post a pic of a polished one of theirs
Link Posted: 12/4/2006 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's a thumbnail pic. Click on it to enlarge..
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8708/im0000531ze.th.jpg

I had the same experience you did. That stuff just turned the metal gray.

I put my bolt in between two pieces of wood and clamped it in a shop table to hold it. Then I used a wire wheel in my cordless drill. It strips off the black stuff, but the wire isn't tough enough to hurt the metal of the bolt.

Worked great for me..
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I offer a few different types of finishes.

If you would like PM me and I can polish/finish it for you to your specs.

Wire wheels will not give a "polished" look.

$25.00 + shipping.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
Well im trying to polish the Charging Handel on my Sar-1 and i got the Blue & Rust remover and took off the blue on the charging Handel an what is left is grey and now i dont know what to do Next any help would be greatly appreciated and can someone post a pic of a polished one of theirs

After removing the blue/black, I was left with a rather ugly piece. Lots of scratches and machining marks (it's a WASR). Removed the bolt and covered it with masking tape. Reinstalled bolt and reciever cover, and using an exacto knife, cut out the tape around the part of the bolt that shows through the  slot in the reciever cover. Removed bolt and went to town with #180 grit sand paper, then #400 grit, then #800 grit, then #1500 grit. Then polished with Never-Dull wadding cloth. I didn't use the Blue & Rust remover. The #180 grit took care of that. With some time and patience it came out real nice. If I knew how to post a picture, I would show you. Give it a try. You won't be disapointed.

a-bare

Link Posted: 12/27/2006 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I would also recommend mothers mag wheel polish after you smooth out the bare metal...Worked great for me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Would i be able to remove the Blueing By Bead blasting ?
I have a Large Cabnet Blaster in My Garage..
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Would i be able to remove the Blueing By Bead blasting ?
I have a Large Cabnet Blaster in My Garage..

Yes you will, I have done several this way.

Then you have to decide, will I "park her" or will I polish?

Again, I charge $25.00 for blasting/parkerizing or polishing.

(can't beat free advertising )

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
I would also recommend mothers mag wheel polish after you smooth out the bare metal...Worked great for me.

+1

a-bare
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Or just go www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/chrome.htm as stated earlier and save yourself the $25 + shipping and have it look just as good.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Or just go www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/chrome.htm as stated earlier and save yourself the $25 + shipping and have it look just as good.

It' won't look the same (if you are going after the polished look), but as stated it is cheaper than sending it out.

Wire wheel on a Dremel tool and steel wool will not give the buffed finish of several grades of coumpounds applied by  bench top buffer.

Another alternative is find a friend with a bench buffer and a few grades of polishing compound.

Have fun!

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top