Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/28/2006 7:57:40 AM EDT
I need help and I'm new to the AK's as I have mainly AR's but thought I would like to try one! I would like an underfolder and came across these two similar models or so I think. What are the differences and pros and cons of each? They are both basically the same price.

Century M70 AB2 Yugo or Vector Arms AK47 underfolder
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:33:19 AM EDT
heres a little advice(take it with a grain of salt), if you want upgrades don't go with the yugo. it's difficult to upgrade the stock because of the longer forearm, rails are hard too it will take some rigging to do that(I'm still unsure if the ultimak scout will fit). I know very little about the vector, but the yugo is a good ak, don't forget it's heavy because of the RPK style receiver. it very accurate and sturdy. the folding stock on mine seems not to be loosing up very much from the recoil. I have only put 300rd through it. I may be a little bias but I love the yugo.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:37:43 AM EDT
Absolutely, M70. This is exactly the predicament I was in a few months back. Both are similarly priced. so consideration of both was warranted. Vector makes excellent stuff, provided they aren't made with Ewbanks receivers....anything associated with Joekin is bad news. The Vector is pretty much a standard AK underfolder. The Vectors I looked at all had the "Asian" style slanted underfolder which was a huge drawback IMO. Straight line construction is always better for a rapid fire weapon, plus I like the cheek weld better with the Yugo. The Yugo is built on a RPK receiver, which is more durable and like a milled receiver can improve accuracy. I have personally never dented an AK receiver, but I have seen it done and its a limitation of the design. Hard use and knocking around can cause denting which will make your weapon useless. The Yugo also has

ideosyncracies which I like. It has a distinctive style/shape which I really like. It has a longer length of pull, which is more comfortable for me. Warsaw length stocks can be a little on the short side and with a folder/underfolder the increased length is a non-issue. I also like how it has night sights, sans tritium but this can be replaced/retrofitted. The Century has brand new barrels, manufacure is a mystery but they seem to be excellent but they aren't chrome lined. I also like the top cover release/installation button on the Yugo. It makes take down and re-assembly much easier. Also, the top cover is much heavier/stronger on the Yugo. The chrome bolt/bolt carrier is also advantageous. The Vector is a very nice gun, but I personally prefer the quirks/styling of the Yugo. I had a Polish Vector and a Century Yugo side by side and choose the Yugo for the reasons I have mentioned and haven't ever regretted it for a second. These are excellent weapons and I have been very happy with mine. You really can't go wrong eiether way though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:23:59 PM EDT
Also, Vector I do believe makes a Yugo M70. Look into that. It will be a much nicer build.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:44:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/28/2006 1:48:51 PM EDT by M4C]
The M70 has two attributes that I consider very undesirable for an AK (and many AW semi types)
1. Heavier than necessary receiver The "RPK style" is more a liability than an asset. Who wants more weight with zero PROVEN superiority for durability over the AKM receiver?
2. NO chrome lining in chamber or barrel. As much as some try to mitigate the issue by saying it's not a problem as long as corrosive ammunition isn't used OR no auto fire, over the life of the gun, it does has detrimental effects on the metal. WHY else is chrome used on just about all military weapons?

Also, built by Century (or still is?). I would think hard before buying a product put out by this outfit or anyone affiliated with them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:02:35 PM EDT
I also wrestled with this dilemnia but supply and demand made my decision for me.

I had decided to go Yugo so I began calling around to be told the best I could do is a 2 month backorder to "maybe" get a gun.

Nope, I will pass on that.

I choose the Vector based on the 5 year warranty and ordered from Atlantic Firearms. I received my rifle and I am impressed with the fit and finish - easily the nicest AK I own. Took about 1 week from order to delivery - I was informed a few times during the process as to the status.

Great gun:

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:38:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By aaronrkelly:
I also wrestled with this dilemnia but supply and demand made my decision for me.

I had decided to go Yugo so I began calling around to be told the best I could do is a 2 month backorder to "maybe" get a gun.

Nope, I will pass on that.

I choose the Vector based on the 5 year warranty and ordered from Atlantic Firearms. I received my rifle and I am impressed with the fit and finish - easily the nicest AK I own. Took about 1 week from order to delivery - I was informed a few times during the process as to the status.

Great gun:

+1
im sick of waiting for a rifle i ordered awhile back..i decided to pick up a vector underfolder this monday at my local shop, and then cancel my order with SOG
Top Top