Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/16/2012 10:57:03 AM EDT
Just wondering if anybody has purchased any of these and how well were the modification done?
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just wondering if anybody has purchased any of these and how well were the modification done?

I was wondering about their .223 conversions myself.  Which mags they accept, bullet guide?
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry if there is a introduction place I missed but I am new here but have been on the AK forums for years. Really these conversion are no better then what someone can do at home.
Bullet guide is screwed in not rivet the 223 is hit or miss depending on the bullet guide some are made for bugly/polish mags some are made for galils all the ones I converted for galil mags
For-end not changed which really is not that hard to do
They did not do anything to the gun to justify the 600 price tag on it
IMO you should wait or buy a vepr for 500 bucks and covert it yourself
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to know how the bullet guides are installed?
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sorry if there is a introduction place I missed but I am new here but have been on the AK forums for years. Really these conversion are no better then what someone can do at home.
Bullet guide is screwed in not rivet the 223 is hit or miss depending on the bullet guide some are made for bugly/polish mags some are made for galils all the ones I converted for galil mags

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate that.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
They are very basic conversions. Nothing to brag about, by far. Bullshit nylon plugged holes, garbage furniture, re-used factory trigger guard, etc.. I suppose they are better than nothing though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like I'd be better served with just buying the sporter version and do the conversion myself. The first one I did turned out okay....as far as I went. Kind of skittish about the bullet guide, and threading the end of the barrel for a muzzle break. The prices on the sporter version sure have jumped though. Paid a tad over 300 for the first one. Same place has them now for 400 +.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd like to know how the bullet guides are installed?

You drill and tap a hole into the trunnion and instead of a rivet that is used in a factory build the bullet guided his held in by a screw
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds like I'd be better served with just buying the sporter version and do the conversion myself. The first one I did turned out okay....as far as I went. Kind of skittish about the bullet guide, and threading the end of the barrel for a muzzle break. The prices on the sporter version sure have jumped though. Paid a tad over 300 for the first one. Same place has them now for 400 +.

Sa part is they are only going to go up higher because Izshmash is rebuilding their factory so no new saiga's until late spring
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:05:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do you have a link for where they are $400+?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you have a link for where they are $400+?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sa part is they are only going to go up higher because Izshmash is rebuilding their factory so no new saiga's until late spring

Interesting. Got a link to that info?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As far as bullet guide, I don't know how they can rivet it with receiver rivetted to trunnion.

Did you say you converted for galil mags?

I've done this once (not on a saiga) and would never do that again.  The galil mags front tab location is different from AK mags and it is two wide.

Saw a unconverted Saiga for $500 at Rodeo gunshow on Saturday.  $600 converted on doesn't sound too bad.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as bullet guide, I don't know how they can rivet it with receiver rivetted to trunnion.

I've done this once (not on a saiga) and would never do that again.  The galil mags front tab location is different from AK mags and it is two wide.

Saw a unconverted Saiga for $500 at Rodeo gunshow on Saturday.  $600 converted on doesn't sound too bad.

I rivet all of my Saiga bullet guides without removing them from the receiver. It's simply a hell of a lot easier to just drill and tap a single hole.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. Got a link to that info?

I will look for it but the news was like 5 months ago they are reworking the plant to produce the new ak-12
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have done 3 Saiga 223 builds I was never into the caliber so I did them for friends they use a different shape bullet guided but that conversion worked flawlessly
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#16]
[

I rivet all of my Saiga bullet guides without removing them from the receiver. It's simply a hell of a lot easier to just drill and tap a single hole.[/quote]
I would love to see how you do this about to do a vepr conversion
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top