Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/10/2010 7:27:51 PM EDT
I realize this has probably been discussed before but I need some fresh opinion.  I'm not really familiar with the AK at all and have a chance to make an offer on a brand new Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter Rifle AK-47.  Can some of you give me an idea of the pros and cons of this rifle?  I've heard mixed reviews but don't know any specifics.  I know full retail is $900 but what would be the maximum price you would pay for it?  Should I just stay away from it?  Thanks in advance.

gk
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
For that price It would have been great if it had a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't buy one.  They are overpriced for what they are.  You can get a Bulgarian SLR-100 for the same ballpark price and have a rifle that is known to be great and not a new to the market, 100% US made century crapshoot.
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate your input.  I didn't expect to pay full retail for it but don't really know what I should offer for it if I actually did try to buy it.  I might actually be able to get it for half full retail price.  Not having a chrome lined barrel isn't a big deal in my mind considering what kind of usage it would probably get.  Are there any specific issues that you know with it?  Do you think specs would be a problem regarding future repair/replacement?  Thanks.

gk
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I realize this has probably been discussed before but I need some fresh opinion.  I'm not really familiar with the AK at all and have a chance to make an offer on a brand new Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter Rifle AK-47.  Can some of you give me an idea of the pros and cons of this rifle?  I've heard mixed reviews but don't know any specifics.  I know full retail is $900 but what would be the maximum price you would pay for it?  Should I just stay away from it?  Thanks in advance.

gk

What would I pay for it?  No more than $500 if it was brand new.  $400 used and in good condition.  And even then, I'd really have to think about it.

Yes, I'm being serious.
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What would I pay for it?  No more than $500 if it was brand new.  $400 used and in good condition.  And even then, I'd really have to think about it.

Yes, I'm being serious.

Okay, great, that's about what I've comitted to in my head.  I trust the opinions of all of you.  I'd really like to know, though, what issues with the rifle and/or company that brings you to these judgements.  What and how are you comparing this rifle to the others by?  I'm a nuts and bolts kind a person and when I finally get an AK I'll want to know all I can about them.  

gk
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I'm being serious.

Okay, great, that's about what I've comitted to in my head.  I trust the opinions of all of you.  I'd really like to know, though, what issues with the rifle and/or company that brings you to these judgements.  What and how are you comparing this rifle to the others by?  I'm a nuts and bolts kind a person and when I finally get an AK I'll want to know all I can about them.  

gk

It's not that the rifle necessarily has functional issues.  For all I know, it works fine.  It's just that, to most "AK guys", there is absolutely nothing desireable about this rifle.  Here are it's faults as I see them:

1.  It is a Century.  Century is known for hit or miss quality.

2.  If you paid anything even close to the retail price, it could almost be guarnateed that you'd lose money in the event you ever wanted to sell it.

3.  Most AK guys value at least a small amount of authenticity or history to a rifle.  This has neither.

4.  While looks are subjective, and arguably unimportant anyway, this gun looks cheesy.  It almost looks like an Airsoft, or some bubba'd tacticool special.

5.  This AK is unproven.  Almost every componant is unproven.  The receiver, barrel, almost all of it.  Combined with #1 above, that's a risk many won't take.

6.  Century claims this rifle is 100% American.  Some doubt that truth of that statement (not that it necessarily matters in terms of function).

7.  For the same amount of money or less, there are many other AK's out there that are proven.  Why be the test dummy for this one?

Other people may have other reasons.

Like I said, it might work fine.  And if you can really get a new one for $500, considering that retail is close to $900, it might be a good deal for you.

But I just have no desire whatsoever to own this gun.  It would be one of the last guns I'd buy for $500, and the absolute last for $900.
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#7]
For $600 I was able to purchase a Blue Ridge SLR100 rifle not long ago. It's made from a REAL Bulgy in spec receiver, & #'s matching 1952 Hungarian AK 47 parts kit. G-Tech also built similar great rifles. With the Century gun, you don't know who made what. Century does make some decent guns, but chances are you'll have problems. Read all about the Golani's, C-93's, Cetme's. All problem children. However the Yugo AK's came out pretty good, but that's mostly because they used the great NDS receiver. All the previously listed troublesome guns used out of spec receivers. If you find a good one that a friend is selling that you can shoot before forking over the cash, go for it. But buying one sight unseen over the phone can be a game of chance. See which vendors allow you to return a piece of crap gun.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Not my cup o tea at all for the reasons that Stephen listed, but I do like the lower HG  (courtesy of Citadel SC in another thread just now )

I just have a hard time with Century in general even though my WASR was fine (and I really liked it)...but I have zero interest in any kind of cobbled together AK they put out. If I'm going to own a milled receiver its going to be an older Arsenal or something put together by a reputable builder.  

Z
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not my cup o tea at all for the reasons that Stephen listed, but I do like the lower HG  (courtesy of Citadel SC in another thread just now )

I just have a hard time with Century in general even though my WASR was fine (and I really liked it)...but I have zero interest in any kind of cobbled together AK they put out. If I'm going to own a milled receiver its going to be an older Arsenal or something put together by a reputable builder.  

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c3jbujQFElU/SxKz2c3ctYI/AAAAAAAAASA/OQinK_-9om8/s1600/ak.gif

Z

That is the ugliest AK I have ever seen, paint the flash suppressor orange and it will look like an airsoft/toy gun. OP look around more. You can find MUCH nicer AKs even for 500.00 I found a real nice MAK-90 at a gunshow for 470.00 and it's an all numbers matching Chinese made and much better quality than that Century abomination. You can get an Hungarian made AMD-65 from Centerfire for 389.00 shipped. Even a WASR is a better deal than that rifle you are looking at and they are Romanian made. Century widens the magazine well and adds compliant parts but that's it. I have one and it's been 100% reliable after thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c3jbujQFElU/SxKz2c3ctYI/AAAAAAAAASA/OQinK_-9om8/s1600/ak.gif

Z

That is the ugliest AK I have ever seen, paint the flash suppressor orange and it will look like an airsoft/toy gun. OP look around more. You can find MUCH nicer AKs even for 500.00 I found a real nice MAK-90 at a gunshow for 470.00 and it's an all numbers matching Chinese made and much better quality than that Century abomination. You can get an Hungarian made AMD-65 from Centerfire for 389.00 shipped. Even a WASR is a better deal than that rifle you are looking at and they are Romanian made. Century widens the magazine well and adds compliant parts but that's it. I have one and it's been 100% reliable after thousands of rounds.

Gotta agree... Absolutely hideous...

Link Posted: 11/11/2010 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#11]
OP here are some links for ya

AMD65

WASR

Look on the EE for some deals and maybe Gunbroker. I got an Arsenal SLR107FR for 675.00 on Gunbroker

ETA: I see Centerfire raised the price to 399.99 and dropped the free shipping but still much cheaper than what I paid for my AMD.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#12]
IIRC it is not a milled AK at all.  it is a cast reciever, cast bolt carrier, and cast gas block.  I would not pay real prices for a cast product from century.  now, if it is Ruger's investment casting company that made them I would consider it, but I have not heard who really made the parts.

advntrjnky
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top