Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:45:24 AM EST
I went to the range with my Century Golani yesterday and tried to put 100 rounds down range but I ran in to some problems.

I would load 20 in to the mag and start shooting. About 15 rounds wit no problems and then a round discharges, but the case gets stuck in the barrel. It appears that the ejector loses the grip on the case as its trying to pull it out. The rifle tries to load the next round and as one would expect jams. I could see that the primer was detonated and I knew that the round fired, so I let the bolt drop and used my hand to smack the charging handle to extract the case. (this is painful btw) This happened at least 6 times before I gave up and it always seems to occur about 12 to 15 rounds in to a 20 round mag...

I was using brown bear 62 grain ammo and I think that this was the cause of my problems. Its the crappy Russian lacquer coating. Any ideas if this could be it or do you think that there is a more involved issue? I am thinking about picking up 100 rounds of good quality ammo and trying again unless some one comes up with some other ideas.

Thanks in advance!
V.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 8:33:33 AM EST
1) Has the rifle ever worked?

2) What does the extractor look like? Good spring tension?

3) What does the chamber look like? Any pits or rough spots.

If it's not something simple I'd box it up and send it back to CAI or the vendor.

BSW
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 12:21:18 PM EST
height=8
Originally Posted By briansmithwins:
1) Has the rifle ever worked?

2) What does the extractor look like? Good spring tension?

3) What does the chamber look like? Any pits or rough spots.

If it's not something simple I'd box it up and send it back to CAI or the vendor.

BSW

Extractor look good best I can tell. Chamber is clean and free of any rough spots. This is the first time ive had this happen although I had a couple of ftf's when I first got the rifle.

Thanks!
V.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 2:07:20 PM EST
I'm with you, its hte ammo...same thing happenned with Brown Bear in another rifle of mine, a mini 14...got all gummed up with melted laquer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 3:30:57 PM EST
Can you strip the bolt and check for any residue build-up under the extractor? It's basically a AK action and should be able to digest ANY 5.56 ammo without failing.

OTOH, it was assembled by CAI and those guys could fuck up a wet dream.

If you can't fix it by cleaning or replacing the extractor I'd send it back to CAI or the vendor. Make them eat the repair/replacement cost.

BSW
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 7:23:34 PM EST
Thanks!

Ill do a full teardown on the bolt tomorrow after work and see if a good cleaning will clean things up.

V.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 10:32:25 AM EST
my century galil does the same thing with steel cased ammo. it runs brass cased ammo without a hiccup. the gun runs flawlessly until i try steel cased wolf. it gets stuck in the chamber every stinkin time :(

so I just feed her brass and all is good. would be nice to be able to use wolf as it is a little more affordable.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 12:59:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2008 1:00:19 PM EST by OPinOKC]
Voland, or Hootch or others with this problem:

How far does the stuck case come out? Mine does this sometimes with Wolf 62 grain and the non--ejected case is about one third out of the chamber. I can get it out by putting a cleaning rod down the barrel and tapping it out with the bolt held back. Thought I was the only one with this issue.

O.P.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 8:10:41 AM EST
Mine doesnt even come out of the chamber a 3rd of the way.

I use a cleaning rod to tap the case out too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 11:19:48 PM EST
FWIW I have been having the same problem with my Galil. The cases get stuck every between every 2 to 20 rounds fired when using steel cased ammo. Though I have only fire about 30 rounds of brass cased ammo, all went off and ejected without a problem. This is directly after firing steel cased rounds that would get stuck. Also the problem with the steel case rounds seemed to get worse as the number of rounds fired increased. As others have noted the stuck case appeard to be sticking abnormally far out of the chamber, how ever i did not notice any signs of rupture or the like when i got the case out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 9:14:11 AM EST
I have 2 century galils and have had the same problem after 30 to 40 rds. I used some mag wheel polish and polished the chambers and haven't had a stuck since then. Hope this helps and be sure to clean the chamber before fireing. IMDB
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 7:21:32 PM EST
One more question/observation for the stuck steel cases guys: I have not been able to get a case to stick doing single shot (load one round in the magazine). Anybody else tried single shot?

O.P.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 11:01:06 AM EST
Mine does it single shot also
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 1:57:20 PM EST
Look at the picture #1 from collegeboys post about issues with century golani. See how dull the chamber is. I think this is why cases stick.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:37:34 PM EST
Seems to be a bullet issue: my stuck cases were all 62gr HP Wolf. Got some 55gr HP Wolf Saturday at CTD. Took the Galil to the range this afternoon and with the 55gr there were no problems. The bullets are different weights of course but I can't see any difference in OAL of the cartridge and just eyeballing the shape of the bullets are not obviously different. Also got some 75gr, and I can't see any difference there either. My Bushmaster operates fine with all 3 bullet weights (just point of impact changes) but my Galil seems really to need the 55gr in the Wolf steel.

O.P.
Top Top