Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/18/2005 12:50:26 PM EDT
Ok I have a wasr with the ugly no finish on it that I want to change. I'm just not 100 percent comfortable with disassembling and ressabmling it to properly finish the wood. I almost want to buy a romy kit with the handguard w/ a handle and buy a receiver and pay a smith to throw it all together then sell the wasr. Can I change the handguard on my wasr with a handguard with a handle on the bottom of it? And if I could where could I find one? Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:46:42 PM EDT
You should go for the refinishing! It's easy as hell. I've never even held an AK until last night. I bought a WASR, and this morning, I took it all apart to refinish the furniture.
Here's a link on furniture removal:
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/furnitureremoval.htm
The only thing it didn't include and most people probably already know (I didn't), was that you have to remove the gas piston before removing the top handguard. After that, it's exactly as the page shows.
The refinishing method was a mix of several people's steps one the thread right below this one for romy's. Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:58:02 PM EDT
You're right it's pretty easy, but I have one problem. I can't remove the buttstock, I have both screws out but I can't really leverage a screwdriver under the very bottom to get the stock out. The stamped tension plate on the front lower handguard was a mofo to get out. Can I interchange my standard handguard for one w/ a forward handle? Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:20:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2005 3:23:09 PM EDT by mcook76]
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can. I have the one without the forward handguard also. After I took the two screws out, mine pretty much fell out. Maybe you can use a brass punch on the end that's hidden in the reciever?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:32:57 PM EDT
Alright for the life of me I cannot get this rear buttstock out. I've tried flat head screwdrivers under and around the wood as best I could but all it does is chip the wood. My wasr does not have a rear trunnion hole like shown in this tutorial. I've even removed the safety switch to get better leverage. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:43:56 PM EDT
Can you post a pic of what you're dealing with?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:57:55 PM EDT
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/dermofo/P1010188.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/dermofo/P1010190.jpg

Thanks again for all the help.

You can see the wood giving way while trying to push it out
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:13:52 PM EDT
Yeah I see what you mean! I wonder if they put the buttstock in before the finish dried completely. Maybe someone more experienced here will chime in. I removed those same two screws and mine pretty much fell out. I guess the buttstock doesn't wiggle or give at all? It's a pretty thick block of wood that sticks into the reciever, maybe you could cover the stock with a towel and take a rubber mallet to the sides and end? Or, if you have something thin rectangular that would cover the end that's getting marked up and hit it from there? I don't know.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:10:30 PM EDT
I had the same problem getting the butt off of my WASR-3. I finally took a rubber mallet and a long 1/2" metal rod and pounded the buttstock out of the receiver. After a few good hits, it seemed to break loose and I just wiggled it the rest of the way out with my hands.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:01:29 AM EDT
Seems like the but stocks on the WASR are either real hard to get off or they just seem to fall off. I have removed and refinished the furniture on three WASR’s I seem to have the best luck if I put the barrel and receiver on it’s side on a hard padded surface then I work the but stock form side to side, using the length of the stock for leverage. If it doesn’t seem to move I just use more force, maybe even a rubber mallet on the sides of the stock. Eventually the stock will start to move from side to side and then I can work them out. Good luck and don’t fell like you’re the first one to have this trouble. It seems like a popular subject around here.

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:44:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2005 4:45:17 AM EDT by scromer]
I use an eight inch 3/8 drive socket extension as a punch and knock it out with a rubber hammer. Put the "male" end of the socket extension against the end of the stock (inside the receiver) and pound away.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:46:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2005 7:11:19 PM EDT by dermofo]
Finally got it out! Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:20:09 AM EDT
Go for it man. Just be patient and you can do it and it will look great.
Top Top