Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/21/2006 6:00:24 PM EDT
I pretty much screwed up my kit while trying to remove the barrel pin.  It was a total mess after trying with punch, BFH, drill, air hammer (obviously i dont have a press.)  So what ever was left of the pin was mushed and I attempted to grind down to find where it was again and couldn't.   Is this thing totally trashed or is there something else that I can do.  I was going to do a rivet built, but will attempt anything to save the 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Its seems the last resort for most is drilling it out. Its pretty hard to tell without a picture. Unless you managed to bend something, it should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I figured I could still drill it out, but I dont have a starting point now.  I'm also without a drill press and my cordless can only handle so much plus all the bits i have broken so far.  I think I got into something I shouldn't have.   $$$$$
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you know anyone that might have a press. If not, do you have a place where you normally take your car for work? Most shops have a press, I saw one at the tranny shop yesterday. Maybe they could pop a pin for you for cheap.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Post some pics(both sides) so I can see how bad it is.

did you hammer from one or both sides?? belive me I have been in your shoes in building my 2 Romy's.

I have a 12 ton press so like I said if its not to bad I can pop it out.

Just send it to me with a return shipping label. Its the least I can do to help out a new AK builder.

Let me know
 FREE

Quoted:
I figured I could still drill it out, but I dont have a starting point now.  I'm also without a drill press and my cordless can only handle so much plus all the bits i have broken so far.  I think I got into something I shouldn't have.   $$$$$

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Got any pics of the damage?

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
You really need to get a drill press.  A good solid 5 or 6 inch vise is very useful as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:39:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do you know anyone that might have a press. If not, do you have a place where you normally take your car for work? Most shops have a press, I saw one at the tranny shop yesterday. Maybe they could pop a pin for you for cheap.

without a couple different sized hardened push pins and some scraps to hold the trunion, the grease monkeys at the car shop will probably do more harm than good.

You have 3 options.

1) buy a few tools.  at the minimum, you'll need a big strong vise (you can use this to push out the pins) and a bench top drill press to drill straight.

2) send it to Freefall and take him up on his offer.  send him a 5th of his favorite liquer b/c he's going to have a bitch of a time getting out a pin that has basically been swaged into the hole.

3) leave it alone and order some of those U-Drive screws.  (you should still get a drill press for this option)

Good luck with whatever route you go.

Caspian
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll try and get some pics posted later today.  I hammered from left to right at first.   Gave up and did other side.  I agree that a drill press is my next purchase.  Freefall I'll have you look at the pic's first to see if you even want to bother.  If not I will buy a drill press and go at it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I forgot to add that I do have a 5" vise that was being used for this last beating.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Cut the trunnion off.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I forgot to add that I do have a 5" vise that was being used for this last beating.

Did you try tightening up the vise on the pin with a short punch to drive out the pin and then giving the vise a good whack with a big hammer?   This pops the pin and then I just push it out with a punch and the vise.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

did you hammer from one or both sides?? belive me I have been in your shoes in building my 2 Romy's.

Just send it to me with a return shipping label. Its the least I can do to help out a new AK builder.

pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/8250177/126401891.jpg

Let me know
 FREE

Quoted:

Totally OT, but Freefall what did you do to refinish the AK stocks on the left.  That reddish brown is just gorgeous!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks,
 Yea my 1st Romy I built (3 weeks ago) was a PITA to get the pin out.

This one was much easier with my 12 ton press($133 at Harbor frieght)

I had a guy at work help me get the pin out, so I figure I will return the favor.

If he hit it from both sides I may have to drill it, I have a 12 ton press that popped my pin out with no issues. I will oil it up and drop it in the freezer overnite.

If she won't pop I will take it to our Maint shop during lunch and drill the pin out.

As you see in the pics my press is in the den and when the pin popped(sounded like a 22) it scared the crap outta my wife.

I used a mixure my friend mixed his AKs, Birchwood Casey Walnut water based stain mixed with 50-50 water and Rit Scarlet dye.

Make sure you get the water base stain as the powder rit dye wont dissolve in a oil base stain.

Dont ask me how I know

After staining it I used Birchwood Casey tru oil applied with my fingers(my friend showed me this also) and let it dry 3+ hours.

After it was dry I hit it with 0000 steel wool and then polished it with a towel.

I repeated this process 5 times before I was happy.  

Make sure all of the old Romy stain is gone or the stain wont take.

FREE

Quoted:

Quoted:

pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/8250177/126401891.jpg

Let me know
 FREE

Quoted:

Totally OT, but Freefall what did you do to refinish the AK stocks on the left.  That reddish brown is just gorgeous!

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#14]
If you don't send it to Freefall, I would agree with Caspian 45..

You can get some U drive screws and use real rivits on the last two holes on the trunion...in the rear. One bonus of this method is your headspace should be the same..

And don't ask me how I know

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I cant get my dig pics to turn out to show what it looks like.  All I can say is that I have ground down both sides flat.  Still can't make out where the pin location was.  Anyhow, I am hunting around for a cheap decent drill press.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I cant get my dig pics to turn out to show what it looks like.  All I can say is that I have ground down both sides flat.  Still can't make out where the pin location was.  Anyhow, I am hunting around for a cheap decent drill press.  

You can geta  drill press from harbor Freight druing their ever-present saels for $40.  If you sign up for their mailing list and have an HF store nearby, you can get them even cheaper...I just used a 20% off one single item coupon on the drill press that was on sale, and got it for $34 out the door(!)

It is not the best drill press in the world, but for $40 or less you can't go wrong.  If it breaks you can afford to buy another one and still have saved money over the Delta DP200, whcih is about $100.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If it breaks you can afford to buy another one and still have saved money over the Delta DP200, whcih is about $100.

Hell, if it breaks, just take it back to HF and exchange it for another one!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a bid on a used mario on ebay.  If i lose I'll head to HF.  Looks like $90 or so.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have a bid on a used mario on ebay.  If i lose I'll head to HF.  Looks like $90 or so.  

If you're not in a big hurry, those $90 drill presses at HF go on sale for around $45.  Everything at HF eventually goes on sale. I think they do a rotation on their sales items.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry, It took me the whole thread to even notice what state you are in...

I have been building Romi and Polish kits for a while now, and I have all the tools.

Let me know where you are at, and lets see if we can get a Jarhead you taken care of...

BTW: Free, those look damn nice!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#21]
R32 i sent you IM
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
R32 i sent you IM

If you would ever goto the Home town Forum, You could have been working with the rest of us!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
R32 i sent you IM

If you would ever goto the Home town Forum, You could have been working with the rest of us!

yeah! what he said!  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks

FREE

Quoted:
Sorry, It took me the whole thread to even notice what state you are in...

I have been building Romi and Polish kits for a while now, and I have all the tools.

Let me know where you are at, and lets see if we can get a Jarhead you taken care of...

BTW: Free, those look damn nice!

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top