Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2008 2:26:42 PM EDT
I am looking to add a underfolding AK to the line up but have no clue on what's what with AK's, just want an underfolder. I don't want a WASR, and don't want to shell out the dough for a milled Poly, etc. I am thinking of this one listed over at gun broker but I can't tell if it's Romanian, Bulgarian, or what? is it any good? is it worth $550?? I emailed the seller and he is as clueless as me, couldn't tell me the country of origin. Thanks!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=97555118

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:59:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/16/2008 3:05:00 PM EDT by Aloxite]
Standard answer for questions like this is to go to atlantic arms website and check out the Vectors.

www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/listview.asp?CatId=2

www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=8

I think they offer an ar15.com discount also.

edit - it looks like the rifle in your link is built from Romanian parts.

You can see the G on the rear sight base.

Not really a bad thing, but Polish or Hungarian is better.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:06:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/16/2008 3:10:33 PM EDT by BB]
Looks like a crappy build from Romanian parts. Worth about $450.

There's nothing wrong with a SAR or WASR Romanian rifle if it's built right and priced right. Classic Arms has some. I'd look at the Yugo, Hungarian and Polish underfolders. For $550, you can buy a really nice Polish, Yugo or Hungarian UF.

You sure you want an UF? I'd shoot one first if you've not yet.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:17:19 PM EDT
go with a vector like advised.....and atlantic is good to go
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:02:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BB:

There's nothing wrong with a SAR or WASR Romanian rifle if it's built right and priced right. Classic Arms has some. I'd look at the Yugo, Hungarian and Polish underfolders. For $550, you can buy a really nice Polish, Yugo or Hungarian UF.

I'll give Atlantic a look for sure. I do want an underfolder, because even though I haven't shot one, in MI if you have a CPL, you have to register an underfolder as a pistol, and as such, you can carry it loaded in your vehicle. Just a nice option to have I think. I have a Mak-90 and love it, so I thought the underfolder would be a nice addition.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:24:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By seeyouinvalhalla:

Originally Posted By BB:

I'll give Atlantic a look for sure. I do want an underfolder, because even though I haven't shot one, in MI if you have a CPL, you have to register an underfolder as a pistol, and as such, you can carry it loaded in your vehicle. Just a nice option to have I think. I have a Mak-90 and love it, so I thought the underfolder would be a nice addition.

I ask because some people find the UF stock extremely unpleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:19:44 PM EDT
The best bang for your buck would be a Yugo underfolder! They are built like a tank and more accurate than other types. Nice thick receivers and polished stainless internals and they are definitely priced right. Heres one of mine:

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:35:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By criminalpoet:
The best bang for your buck would be a Yugo underfolder! They are built like a tank and more accurate than other types. Nice thick receivers and polished stainless internals and they are definitely priced right.

+1  I love mine.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:38:24 AM EDT

polished stainless internals

What part of that rifle (other than [perhaps] the gas piston) is made of stainless steel?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:58:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/17/2008 8:59:19 AM EDT by BB]

Originally Posted By POLYTHENEPAM:

What part of that rifle (other than [perhaps] the gas piston) is made of stainless steel?

None. Yugos have a hard chrome plated carbon steel gas piston. I believe the carrier is unfinished carbon steel in the white, but I am uncertain, it could be hard chrome too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 1:09:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BB:

Originally Posted By POLYTHENEPAM:

None. Yugos have a hard chrome plated carbon steel gas piston. I believe the carrier is unfinished carbon steel in the white, but I am uncertain, it could be hard chrome too.

That's what I thought, but I don't own a Yugo and I figured I was about to learn something.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:45:34 PM EDT
NOPE! Its polished stainless!! On the UF in the picture that I posted is has a very small area that is unpolished that is a goldish type of color which is EXACTLY the color that unfinished stainless is.  Recently I ordered a couple of raw stainless tie rods for one of my race ATVs and this is the same color that they were before I polished them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:15:25 AM EDT
Top Top