Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 4:32:39 PM EDT
I just got some from Robert, it lloks like it is not stained or has a light stain.  Can it be made to look Russian? Thanks, Dave
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
you can always stain darker...  but to go the other way is more difficult...

So a quick answer would be absolutely
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Talk to Z-recto, he can give you the full information. But from what I remember him telling me, it is difficult. The Polish wood is actually died or something, and not stained.

The Russian finish is also not a stain anyways.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:15:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I redid my SKS wood using a storebought kit, that cost less than $11. The SKS is a Yugo 59/66 surplus shooters grade (meaning the stock was tore-up from the floor-up).   Took some patience and a little more patience, but it looks awesome now.

You get that Russian "red" look, too. You can adjust the amount of color/tint in the stain to obtain what you want. The tru-oil makes the grain stand out, and is a rock-hard, water resistant, shiny (or satin, if you want) finish.   Includes all the sandpaper, steel wool, lint-free cloth...everything!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Tru-Oil brings out the nicest color with awesome grain (or in this case laminations) definition on the laminate Polish stocks. You could stain beforehand for the russian look but personnally I'd leave the Polish stuff as is. It looks better or at least as good as, the Russian Red look.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
You can refinish Polish furniture with a shellac and dye to mimic original Russian furniture, and there are guys on this board who do a damn good job at color matches (Z-Recto, JeepCreep, etc.) if you don't want to tackle the job yourself. However, you should know that Polish furniture and original Russian furniture are easily distinguished from one another. The pistol grips are different shapes, the reinforcing screws used in the butt and lower have characteristics which distinguish them, the laminates are completely different (especially the upper), and the laminates are of different woods, and hence, grain. I have done a complete Type III restoration using Russian wood which took me several years to locate. It was expensive, it was a long wait, and it is perfect and beautiful. If a restoration is what you're after, go to Tantal's website and look at the Type III project done by Josh, an AK afficionado of the first degree. The rifle there looks exactly like mine. If that's what you're looking to build, prepare to spend a lot of time researching historically correct parts and finding them (sources have pretty much dried up). Paying outrageous prices for real Ruskie wood is the easy part. Good luck.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top