Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/18/2018 7:47:54 PM EDT
I have some Norinco 5.56 mags for my AK.. i have three good ones and picked up two more(this was like in 1999) 30 rounders that have issues.  Basically it just cant fully strip a round... to much traction on the mag im guessing.

Is it ok to very lightly touch up the bottom inside of the lips to smooth it out a bit?(with a very small fine file or deburring tool)  Are there some other things I should be looking for?  Would a wire wheel do the trick?

I want these to work because they are effing expensive to buy.  Someone said that bulgy 5.56 mags work, but I have not purchased any yet and it is said they are hit and miss... so here we are.

Link Posted: 8/26/2018 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure man, no worries, just don't go crazy. I'd probably try plain old sandpaper first.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Seriously doubt that burrs under the feed lips would cause so much friction that the bolt won't strip a round from the magazine. I'd be looking at the bolt or carrier binding or dragging on some other part of the mag. Are you using brass or steel cased cartridges? Fully loaded? Over loaded? Only one or a few rounds in the mag? Do these hypothetical burrs (not seeing anything obvious in your pics) leave a noticeable scratch on the case?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seriously doubt that burrs under the feed lips would cause so much friction that the bolt won't strip a round from the magazine. I'd be looking at the bolt or carrier binding or dragging on some other part of the mag. Are you using brass or steel cased cartridges? Fully loaded? Over loaded? Only one or a few rounds in the mag? Do these hypothetical burrs (not seeing anything obvious in your pics) leave a noticeable scratch on the case?
View Quote
@1Devildog

Good call on seeing if there is bolt interference.  Thanks!  Will sharpie the mag tops and see if it is touching.  If you feel the inside of the lips on the mags its sharp and rough... even the working ones.  So I am totally going to see if the bolt is dragging.

5-10-20-full mags, dont matter, it has issues feeding.

The funny thing is.. with the good mags, the rifle only likes quality brass ammo.. and it runs 100% when using federal/winchester 5.56.  Anything lacquered is a whole other issue.. they end up getting stuck in the chamber and need a cleaning rod to get out.  Tight or rough chamber.  Chamber honing is on my list, but since it does fine with quality ammo, not worried about it right now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#4]
It might be sitting too high in up. Take a few strokes off the bottom of the locking tab.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top