Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/10/2013 10:26:57 AM EDT
For $15. True, they aren't surplus steel mags but they're halfway decent and not terribly overpriced. I had a gift card so I just ordered 3. Get em while you can!

Tapco Smooth Side 7.62 Mags
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
backordered 10, 5 of each, 1-2 weeks is better than the other bigger online stores suggesting in stock late Q1 to early Q3, and for the price its decent. Anyone have any experience with these? are they GTG as primary mags or more for plinking
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Didnt realize when it was listed as in stock that it meant they were taking back orders before I placed my order
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Tapcos work for plinking. You may need to fit them to your rifle. Don't abuse them they are made of plastic and will break. Your better off spending the extra cash and getting good steel mags, they will last much much longer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Didnt realize when it was listed as in stock that it meant they were taking back orders before I placed my order

They were listed specifically as "in stock" when I posted this and ordered 3. I have approx delivery time next week.

As far as GTG versus plinking - they're glass filled polymer but the feed lips and locking lugs aren't reinforced. There's a thread on ARFCOM about a guy knocking an inserted mag with a hammer trying to break the lugs and couldn't do it on the tapcos -but take that for what you will. Previous designs of the tapcos have had breakages under high stress. There's some talk about how these new smooth sides are of a better design/quality. I'm not trusting my life to them, but it does mean I can stock 3 more of my steel mags away and keep mileage off them.

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#5]
ordered two orange ones for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]
yup i ordered a orange one yesterday while they were still instock to test them out...
1 of 23-1424 TAPCO AK-47 SMOOTH SIDE ORANGE 30RD @ $14.99 each
   In stock-Approx delivery Fri 1/18
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#7]
These mags came in today. They appear to be of decent build quality given that they have no steel locking lugs or feed lips. There's just a hint of wobble in my SGL21, not enough to matter for anything, but my one regular intrafuse mag I bought to test was a very very tight fit. Gonna test these out next time I shoot my SGL.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two 'Bakelite' and two black slabsides and just got around to testing them today. They all fit fine in my AMD65 and SA85M. They tend to rub the cross-rivet mag guide on insertion, but I didn't 'fit' them, as it seemed that they all 'broke-in' a little after only a few trial insertions. One black one has a slightly thicker rear lug - it locks in but the mag catch is tight when removing. It will break-in too. They all loaded normally and firing was normal, with no mis-feeds. I would not hesitate to use them under any conditions.

ETA: I tried the black slabside again and it's okay. It really didn't have a 'thicker' lug at all when I compared the two. I think I may have pushed the mag forward at the same time I was pushing on the mag catch when trying to remove it at the range, which made the catch 'dig-in' to the lug a little. Whatever, it's fine now.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top