Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/3/2005 7:23:21 PM EDT
I just bougth an Arsenal (Bulgarian parts) milled reciever SA M-5 "S" in 5.56x45mm and it came with an olive green waffle pattern magazine marked "5.56" that has a molded in "10" inside of a circle. I bought a second magazine that is identical except for the color; it is clear.

Here is the problem: it fails to feed about 10% of the time. I can chamber the 1st round (whether its the 1st of 30 or if there are only a couple of rounds in the magazine). It fires, but the following round gets stuck before the bullet reaches the chamber.

To clear this Malf, about half the time, I can just pull back the carrier handle & release by hand & it will chamber. However, several rounds woulf not feed and the bullets were pushed back into the cases (ruining the round).

I am using the new Polymer coated Wolf ammo, 62 grn hollow point. It also did this w/ some FMJ surplus 5.56 of mixed origin.

I am really not interested in switching ammo. That does not fix the problem here (and an AK that is only 80% reliable IS a problem). This is an AK; it should work with Factory ammo and all the other AKs I own (SAR-3 and Bulgarian SLR-95) work with all the ammo I have tried - including the new Wolf (heck, they worked with old Wolf). BOTH polymer 5.56mm magazines had this trouble. It did not seem limited to a certain round in the mag. It was just periodic. Frustrating.

Anybody had this trouble? Any ideas?

Also, assuming I can get this problem fixed, where can I buy more of the clear magazines?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:14:28 AM EDT
Had one similar misfeed last Saturday with a brand new Bulgarian double circle 10 5.56x45 mag in my VEPR, one of 3 I recently bought from K-Var.

The case was bent a good 30 degrees at the neck. The next round failed to feed and when I looked at it I realized that the follower had failed to push the round up high enough for the bolt to pick it up. When I pushed down on the round, it popped back up high enough and fed OK.

Don't know if this will fix it, but I intend to work the followers up and down in the mag about 2 dozen times using a plastic ruler to get the followers "worn in" to the inside of the mag channel. I had a similar issue with some Bushy 20 rd curved mags for my AR-15 and doing the ruler thing seemed to do the trick.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:57:37 AM EDT
Thanks for the advice! Glad I am not the only one to notice this malf; I'll try working in the mags and maybe give them a shot of silicon spray too to see if it cures this malfunction.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:48:46 AM EDT
UPDATE: Had some FMJ to try out - it was cruddy old FMJ that was surplused by Israel Defense Force and most had been loaded/unloaded in their magazines. Mix of WCC & TZZ headstamps.

100% function with the clear waffle mag (did not test the green mag).

I still consider it a problem that Russian Wolf ammo still doen not function in my Bulgarian parts/US assembled gun. But I am more encouraged by last night. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:01:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/7/2005 3:05:27 AM EDT by JoeInCT]
+1

BTW, my misfeed was with an XM193 round, so it may strictly be a mag issue.

Weather looks bad in CT for this weekend. I may not get a chance to test out mine.
Top Top