Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/3/2002 4:47:37 PM EDT
I'm contemplating buying some of these, but read over in the troubleshooting forum and on other boards about folks having problems with insertion with these mags.  What's the scoop?

TIA
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
These are the only mags I use in my AK.  I've never had any problems.  I wish I could find some place online that still has them in stock so I can buy more.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had great luck my mine also. They do fit a little more snugly than my steel mags, but they work great in my PKM and SAR-1.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm contemplating buying some of these, but read over in the troubleshooting forum and on other boards about folks having problems with insertion with these mags.  What's the scoop?

TIA

What caliber? 7.62 ones work fine, but if people try the .223 ones in SAR-3s or anything but a Bulgarian .223 rifle, they won't work very well.

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The 7.62x39mm mags are good.  The .223 cal mags are ok, but require some fitting.

Neither mag is IMHO worth more than $15 bucks.  So don't fall into the trap of paying $25 bucks for a plastic mag when you could buy a metal one for $7.  Its just not worth it.  The metal mags work great and will probably prove more durable in the long run (even with rust).

-SS
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:07:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the info, gentlemen!  RD - correct - it's an SSR56, 7.62x39.  I bought nine of the Bulgarian steel mags - gonna try to pick up about 50 of the polymer mags.  They're steel lined like a Glock mag, right?

While my son was at school yesterday, I took the rifle out of the safe to fondle it.  It looks really nice (got a woody)!

Back to reading on these forums - oldest posts first.  Just like on the AR side, this site is a freaking goldmine of info.

I've never heard of a problem leaving AR mags loaded - Chuck Santose emptied a 20 rounder at the range that had been stored for over 20 yrs with no problems.  And remember that the 20's have no reinforcment aft of the feed lips like the 30's.  Info on not being able to leave AR mags loaded?

NO QUESTION that AK mags are more durable - built like tanks - literally!
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:29:05 AM EDT
[#7]
One more Q - are the polymer mags as heavy as the steel ones?  The steel ones are sturdy, but damn - they're *heavy*.  Would make a difference if you were humping with ~ 13 mags.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Waffles are lighter Tate. They have a coolness that appeals to me and they probably will last forever. (Also good with maple syrup.)
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#9]
(Homer)

mmmmmmmmmm....syrup

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
 They're steel lined like a Glock mag, right?

!

They have steel around the feed lips, but I don't think it goes all the way down like a Glock mag does.  I'd probably do the reverse of your plan and buy maybe 30 steel mags and 20 polymer ones.  Having scraped the side off a .223 cal polymer mag to make it fit, I can say that the polymer is not as tough as a Glock mag.

-SS
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#12]
The polymer mags are superior to steel because they are lighter, don't rust, and they don't dent, two things that can shut down a steel mag.

As far as some of the Bulgarian waffles not fitting some rifles that is correct. Some of the very first waffle mags that came in had insertion problems on some rifles. Mostly, with Hungarian FEG made rifles.

All you have to do to make the mag fit is take a flat file to the rear catch on the mag and stroke it once or twice.

Mike

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top