Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2007 8:54:37 AM EDT
Hey guys. I just bought an AKS-74 kit from ORF, and I plan on having it built soon. Here's the question: what kind of furniture did the Bulgarian AKS-74s use? I presume they used laminate wood and then later plum furniture, just like the Soviets did, but I'm not sure. The odd thing is that I've never seen a picture of a Bulgarian AKS-74 with anything on it buy black polymer. Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen Bulgarian AKS74's with laminate, plum and black furniture.  I don't know the timeframes for their use, though.  

I currently only have one Bulgy sidefolder and it has black handguards/PG...at least until I find a good deal on a set of laminate wood.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've seen Bulgarian AKS74's with laminate, plum and black furniture.  I don't know the timeframes for their use, though.  

I currently only have one Bulgy sidefolder and it has black handguards/PG...at least until I find a good deal on a set of laminate wood.

+1.....I've only ever seen three different "original" furnitures; laminate wood, polymer black, and polymer plum. Accoring to the link below, it "appears" as if the polymers furniture was for Motorized Infantry, while the wood furniture was for Airborne Troops, but not sure if that's specific to the Bulgy. It may be specific to the Soviet AKS-74.

AKS-74
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it's wood-plum-black. Don't know the time frame tho.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I have seen before online

Russian Ak-74 stock color
1974 Red laminated wood
1984 Plum polyamide
1989 Black polyamide
1992 AK-74U black polyamide

The plum was because of mixing issues... they couldn't get the black right.

When they got black right, they started using it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my '74's.

I hate the factory PG- it's some sort of faggy strawberry color like a starburst candy- at least that's what came with the wood kits I got.

Black grips look much cooler
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]
It was in that order.  Remember that  on the folding stock AK-74s most of the time the russians at least, and maybe the Bulgarians too, used a laminate pistol grip for their wood furniture instead of a bakelite one, and a glossy plum grip on the rifles with plum furniture instead of the matte grip used on normal AK-74s
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top