Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2003 5:46:40 AM EDT
How hard is it to build an Ak using the joeken Hesse receiver and a parts kit. Do you need special tools? any info will be great. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Joeken told me today, Hesse was 12 weeks behind with their order. Thats gonna make it real hard.

Oh, and there's ways of doing it without rivits.
Check some of the threads on screwing it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#3]
WinnR, do you know where the thread is concerning "screwing" instead of rivetting? i notice in my polish ak kit, the old rivets were drilled-out leaving some oblong holes which may make re-rivitting rather difficult, especially around the trigger guard and the folding stock area. by the way, the pmkms kit from global was the $159.99 slightly used one, for $20.00 more the un-fired kit is offered. i would pass on the extra expense as my kit looked new anyway, the bore is like new, any scratches i have will be found on the more expensive kit as well, along with the rivet problem i just mentioned.
never fired, or slightly fired? what's the difference? NONE! i would appreciate your getting back to me on the screwing, it sure will help! thanks, randy
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Randy,

I can't remember on the Polish kits if the barrel is already pressed into the front trunnion.
If the end of your barrel at the chamber is not attached to the trunnion you're faced with a press job involving an 12 ton minimum press.

If the barrel is already in the trunnion, life is much simpler.

I don't know if you have your receiver yet.  If so, you can attach the trigger guard with 4 mm button head screws and nuts.  Use Loctite on the threads.

The front and rear trunnions will have to be drilled and tapped for screws.  If the barrel is in the front trunnion, only drill to the depth of the barrel. A screw size of 5 mm will work in all areas if everything goes perfectly.  If you live on the same planet I do, the 5 mm holes will get boogered up and then you'll drill and tap six mm and if any of those get boogered up you can drill and tap 1/4 in.  Buy the best quality Taps you can find.

All of this is horrendously time-consuming.  I just finished 1 this week that I put together by clamping all the parts to the receiver so that the magazine fit in and the dust cover fit on top, checked head space, and mig welded it together through weld washers.  It took half a day rather than a week of work.

The finish  is  drying on it now and I hope to put  half case through it tomorrow and make sure all is okay.  Good luck with your build.
Regards, WinnR
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#5]
WinnR--thanks for the info, i don't have my reciever yet, the trunion isn't pressed onto the barrel. sounds like fun so far. about headspace, all numbers match on this kit, what can go wrong by pressing the trunion in place and securing with the barrel pin? i dunno. i'll definitely try the 4 mm screws on the trigger guard, even try tapping the trunions as well. i'm currently looking for a regular rear trunion for the buttstock, don't want to fool around with welding a perfectly good folding stock! as far as the barrel trunion, i figure heating it with a heat gun, using penetrating oil, and a wooded mallet, can't hurt it, maybe i'll even get it right? actually this means i don't have a press, i'm strictly a garage mechanic. will let all know how it goes, thanks again, randy
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top