Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/15/2005 10:54:44 AM EDT
If I wanted to try and get a set up together to build my own AK pistols from kits (by bending the receiver flats and riveting them together myself) do I need to have an FFL to do so ?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#1]
no
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks horseman, is that just because it's a pistol, or could I put together a Bulgarian AK-74 rifle kit if I wanted to ?

Would I require an FFL if I built an AK pistol to someone's specifications, then sold it and shipped it through a local FFL dealer ?

I'm looking at the BATF info here (link below), but can't figure out why the pistol wouldn't require an FFL to manufacture.

Gun Control Act

Thanks folks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I understand, if you build a pistol or rifle using a flat which you bend, you cannot sell or give away the completed firearm. If you want to build one according to someone's specs and sell it, you would need to use a completed receiver with a serial number. There might be a way you can add a serial number to a flat but you would probably have to be a licensed firearms manufacturer, Class 7 I believe, rather than just an FFL dealer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, that would make sense.

Anyone else have anything to add ?

Is there an online FAQ somewhere that spells this stuff out for people just starting out ?

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top