Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 6:09:34 PM EDT
We know they will start makeing an AR-15 pistol again but what about an AK-47 pistol?  I guess one could use a Krinkov kit to get most of it done, get a US parts count and be done.  My question is dosen't the ATF have to sign off on a gun like this just like they used to do with people makeing AR-15 pistols with rifle receivers?  This is fine as I understand you just inform them of your actions but don't you have to use a US made barrel to make a new firearm, technicaly?  How could one get around this as I see this as the only roadblock?  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#1]
A pistol is a pistol.

It is NOT an NFA weapon and now that the AWB is DEAD you can make one on a bare (never had a stock attached) receiver.

No ATF forms/notification required.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, NO US parts are required!!!  922(r) says it is for semiauto RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS...  there is no mention of pistols!  Also, the for replacement use only clause is also based on 922(r) so if you use one to build a pistol that is a non-issue as well!

I tried really hard to have my AMD-65 kit built for tonight as I am doing a screw build and I got the frint trunion and barrel in place but I am having a bitch of a time with the rear trunion.  At first I tried to use a spare underfolder trinion for the rear as I am building as a pistol and it would give a clean smooth rear to the pistol...  Now I have two extra holes into my receiver and I manages to miss the mark for the rivets and darned if I can drill that trunion...  Went to confirm the parts fit for a post-clinton-ban photo and the dustcover will not fit...

I unscrewed the button head screws from the rear trunion and tried the factory original trunion and it will not take the dust cover either...  I am just too tired as I did build a FAL this weekend and I am just frustrated as the AK was just so close....
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Very good points, I think your both correct.  Looks pretty easy to do this minus the actual work to the gun, I better start looking for an AK gunsmith and get a parts kit.  I'm I the only one who has dreamed up this useless but oh so fun gun idea?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
No, you are not the only one.. I have an AR-15 pistol done, and AK pistol about half built and an AR-10 receiver on order for a third pistol...  The AK-pistol will likely be the most reliable...

The AR-10 may only get built as a bolt-action but where else can I get a Bolt-action 308 pistol that taked detachable mags?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top