Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2006 5:24:17 AM EDT
have seen a few guys talking about this....it will be a few weeks before i can do it but wanted everyone interested to please post in here
i have personly built well over 10 kits..3 of them krinks...a few other buddies close have built some too
almost all i have done are on flats..flats take a while to trim and get finished
please post ur emails here so we can get in contact....here is my email addy [email protected]

here is my cell # 817 798 5775    am starting the list!!

hoohaa
TheNorm
Disco_Stu_TX
IWC71
saturnmissiles
bryanshoe
davidrriley

map it...this is my shop addy Dent Pros 8851 west freeway(I30), Ft. Worth  TX. 76116 Suite 120
maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=8851+West+freeway&csz=76116&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

ok looks like these are the dates....let me know what u guys think
First flat bending/kit demilling/?--March 17th 7pm til ? -18th noon til ? -19th 1pm til ? Done!!
Build party! April 1st noon til ? - 2nd noon til ?  going to do all grilling and food stuff on the 2nd
 this is it!!!!!!!!!

here are the things i have
12 ton press
flat jig
spot welder w/ ak builder tip
trigger guard jig
barrel press equip
2 -18" riveters  2 - 24" riveter
3 dremels...guard for cutting top rails
drills
drill bits (please bring some if u can)
220 mig welder
files (please bring some if u can)
sanders
punches (please bring some if u can)
mapp gas (have 2 bottles)
stains and rit dye  (will demo it....very time consuming)

if u have 100% rec i would suggest coming to at least 2 days..1 for demilling and 1 for building
i will provide grill,  please bring hamburger meat and chips/sides at final build party
PS.PS.PS. i do love jack and coke! hint,hint

Good place for some cheap tools! also northern tool
www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=33469
www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90156
www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40207
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds great Ill be there to finish off my krink and to start a new build. LOL
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool.  I started the DFW build party post in the Texas board a few days ago, but I really wanted someone with experience to head this up, I was just seeing if there was interest.  I am DEFINITELY interested.  I have two, maybe three kits to build from flats.  Two Romys and a Yugo underfolder  I am thinking about doing weld builds, but if there are rivit tools handy I might try that too to get the experience.

My email address:  bryan "at" harvest-fields.net

I have a Hobart Handler 140 welder with argon/CO2 mix, a 12 ton press, small O/A setup, 4.5" grinders, and lots of air tools.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd help out on this one...

In addition to the above tools, I have a Plinker Rivet jig, bolt cutter rivet tools, barrel press tools, trunion jigs, etc... If I'm in town I would be happy to bring stuff over, hang out and build!

I have built standard Romy's, pistols in various configs, underfolders, a sidefolder and a few total franken guns. I also have a cheesy sand blaster that works if you have the place to use it...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
AK are bad AR are good...

TheNorm
You need to kick Bill (GMG)in the A$$ he still has not pull his kits together.

I think Im pulling him to the AR side.

Later
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:11:19 AM EDT
[#5]
AR side? i have an ak that shoots 223, thats my AR LOL

hoohaa.......sorry man didnt see ur post over there....never went to that section LOL why dont u call me on my cell 817 798 5775...i have 18" and 24"  rivet squeezers, i would not weld it

Norm..more than happy to get ya to help!! if u are interested then please call..will try to work it when ur in town!

i just thought i seen a few guys w/ kits and no tools, if they are not interested then at least u are more than happy to get w/ us to mess around w/ guns
i have a 1200 sq ft shop w/ a few benches.....just got some bulk rivets in and they are nice and cheap!
 anyone that is interested can call me so we can set it up...i am busy w/ soccer practice saturday mornings til about 1pm but free after that and sunday...i can get a guy to do the cooking(if need be)

i just showed ak nut how to bend a flat and now he is off the hook!! his first kit build is a bulgy krink!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

TheNorm

Later

Gimme Bill's address, I'll get this handled.

Generally what we do in this case is a lot like cult de-programming...you duct tape them to a chair and pour 7.62 ammo all over them, then set about a dozen AKs all over them for 12 hrs.

If that doesn't do the trick, the next step involves hookers, vodka and Krinkovs....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I am down for sure! Tell me what kit, flat or reciever, and what kind of beer yall like.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am down for sure! Tell me what kit, flat or reciever, and what kind of beer yall like.

Salvatore...the deadly double bock !
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:58:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Aw...Why does Dallas have to be so far from Houston?  Lets meet up halfway and have the build party in say San Antonio ;).
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Pretty sure there will be flat builds and 100% receiver builds.  Doesn't sound like everything will happen all in one weekend, but I guess that's an option.  Beer: free.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#11]
damn i wish i did not live so far away from TX.  I am working damn hard to find a party or help putting my first together  :(
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm talking with a FFL here in Dallas about having some DCI receivers transferred.  Should I wait for a gunshow?  When will there be another show in Dallas?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm talking with a FFL here in Dallas about having some DCI receivers transferred.  Should I wait for a gunshow?  When will there be another show in Dallas?

Gunshow in Dallas this weekend...at Big Town. Get there early though, cause I'll be there and I really mess up the inventories.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Do you think I could score some receivers if I went on Saturday?  I don't want to risk the wallet damage if I can't get what I actually need.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Count me in on this too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Do you think I could score some receivers if I went on Saturday?  I don't want to risk the wallet damage if I can't get what I actually need.

There will prob not be any Global ones...I called...

There may be a few Ewbanks ones, I think I saw a few at the last show.

Mil Gun Supply usually has a few Ohio's...I don't like these, but they will do in a pinch.

And...you could just order some flats and fold them at the party...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#17]
dont think u will see any rec at the show.....like norm said MAYBE a few eubanks but font count on it..only ones i ever usually see are globals but the ones being manuf now are spoken for til they catch up
will try to do something like start friday evening, saturday, and partail sunday so some flats CAN get done....i will prolly just help all who shows...i have only a few kits left to build now
guys i left my # on first post so call anytime to confirm..i will start a list of interested people on the first post! please let me know if u plan to attend or to take u off the list
i will get w/ a few friends to see when is best...if u have some ideas please post them
AK nut will be helping out also incase he didnt know this LOL
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I think I will try to have a couple receivers transferred.  I will bend a couple too, one for my truck gun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#19]
ok here is the scoop.....if this is ur first build i recommend buying a 100% rec
if u just want to use or only have flats then what we need to do is one weekend get the flats done...then next weekend have the build party

if that is too spread out for u guys then let me know....we can always do rec both times but would be much easier this way, what do u guys think????  please give me some input

there will be 2 to 3 guys helping that have built there own guns from flats there so will be plenty o help!!  IDEAS ANYONE, DATES????????? please speak up!

guys try to get as much of the parts together as poss like crossmembers, rivets sets that come w/ e clips....here is a link to nice rivets sets w/ clips...have dealt w/ him many times..good guy!
www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=308008

also crossmembers..i have bought all mine from dph arms..tapco has them too but more $$(.50)
dpharms.com/receiver-cross-members-p-78.html
www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=AK0664&back=yes&dept=40&last=40

i have crossmember rivets...have a few others incase...not many

from now on i will just try to update the first post so check back often....emails and im's sent
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
ok here is the scoop.....if this is ur first build i recommend buying a 100% rec
if u just want to use or only have flats then what we need to do is one weekend get the flats done...then next weekend have the build party

if that is too spread out for u guys then let me know....we can always do rec both times but would be much easier this way, what do u guys think????  please give me some input

there will be 2 to 3 guys helping that have built there own guns from flats there so will be plenty o help!!  IDEAS ANYONE, DATES????????? please speak up!

guys try to get as much of the parts together as poss like crossmembers, rivets sets that come w/ e clips....here is a link to nice rivets sets w/ clips...have dealt w/ him many times..good guy!
www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=308008

]

I agree. If we get some flats bent and spot welded, that would be a good night. Maybe that first night we can get part of the kits prepped. This can take a while to drill out rivets and such.

Then the next meet we can drill holes for trunions and re-assemble. Hey, who has the spot welder?

I'm working on dates...this weekend I'm in town but definitely busy on Sat. If it rains I'm not busy on Sunday.

The following weekend I'm in town but not yet sure what the deal is. Sat I'm busy for sure.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TheNorm

Later

Generally what we do in this case is a lot like cult de-programming...you duct tape them to a chair and pour 7.62 ammo all over them, then set about a dozen AKs all over them for 12 hrs.

If that doesn't do the trick, the next step involves hookers, vodka and Krinkovs....

At first, I thought no deprograming was needed but after reading further I think I may be far enough along to skip straight to step 3.
I was waiting for spring break to get back on the builds Freeflow forgets what it is like to punch a clock. I do plan on buying an AR at Bigtown and it will be "assembled" before I get any AKs built. I have always been well rounded socially and could hang w/ many diffrent types of people I guess I am that way w/ firearms too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Count me in.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#23]
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/edtrevino99/ak.jpg
This is one of  the most recent  builds completed by getit and I .Shes a SBR registerd bulgy krink built on a tapco flat that we bent up.Getit  has a russian krink clone  built on a flat also .Were looking foward to this build party and meeting people with the same passion/addiction as us .So until then build on ....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice Krink Aknut.... I am in torture waiting on my form 1 to wrap up mine...which is a chop bbl though and a not a krink kit proper... may be ready by the 18th...

I am cool with those dates. I'm prob going to blow off my other plans for the 18th (it's a shooting competition...they will prob be happy I'm not showing up ).

OH YEAH, sometimes things go really well, or sometimes it is best to appease the AK gods and pull an all nighter to get things done. Many of my builds have seen the sunset and then the sunrise...just depends..Sometimes things go together fast... other times you get stuck on something and it takes forever...

SO, I would suggest that everybody bring ALL their stuff to the first day just in case.

GETIT: where (generally) do you live ?

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Well I just sent in an order for two DCI 100% receivers today.  I also just now sent in an order for three rivet kits from low_lead, which getit linked to in the first post.  I have two flats to bend next weekend as well.

Looking at three Romy kits, one with a Yugo underfolder.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I would like to atend also. I have flats and two kits. I will call on Monday when I
am back in town..

Bryan
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I am trying to figure out the days I could attend.  I would like to be there all three days, but I don't think that will happen.  It's looking like I could make Saturday all afternoon, and possibly Sunday 3:00ish to ?.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#28]
bryanshoe glad to hear it! if u guys could call me this coming week and let me know what days that would be great....hoohaa and anyone else wanting to bend flats i recommend at least one day next weekend to get flats done and then on the 1st or 2nd to build..

like i said before, flats are time comsuming and u will need all the time in it u can get
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#29]
So who will be there on Saturday?

hoohaa
getit

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#30]
i will!!

i am going camping/riding w/ the kids as i type.....will be back monday afternoon
my cell doesnt work out there so if i dont answer i will call back monday evening!

OK i am back! everyone feel free to call me whenever to get things roll'n
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#31]
If you are planning to come let's see some names!  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll be there Sat....I'll bring another bending flat jig so that we can get two going if needed (provided all the bending doesn't happen on Fri).

I'll also bring an angle grinder, plinker jig, and misc other stuff. I would expect we should get pretty far down the road by the afternoon.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm planning to run by the FW Harbor Freight on Saturday morning on my way to the build party.  I have to pick up some truck tools, but I can also pick up some odds and ends if I need to for the build.  Do we have everything we need?

I have a 12 ton press, should I bring it?  It wouldn't be too much trouble to throw it in the back of the truck.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey....

Everybody should bring eye protection...and ear protection too is not a bad idea, especially if we get like 4 grinders going at the same time..... One night I spent 4 hrs in the garage grinding and had ringing ears for 3 days.

Sucks cause then you can't listen to conspiracy radio (great motivation for building into the wee hours...) while wearing ear protection, but I'm working on a set that mounts to my tin foil hat and has a radio feed to Coast 2 Coast.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Good call, I probably would have forgotten that.  I might look for a face shield at HF, mine broke.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I am going to try to make it at least on one of the days.  I can bring a few items but need to know what is needed as you already list many tools.  It will be fun.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#37]
So far we have on the "needed" list the following:

Drill bits
files

I'm sure there's more, getit probably has a good idea of this.

When do you think you will be able to make it?  We have a couple folks coming on Saturday afternoon from the sounds of it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TheNorm

Later

At first, I thought no deprograming was needed but after reading further I think I may be far enough along to skip straight to step 3.
I was waiting for spring break to get back on the builds Freeflow forgets what it is like to punch a clock. I do plan on buying an AR at Bigtown and it will be "assembled" before I get any AKs built. I have always been well rounded socially and could hang w/ many diffrent types of people I guess I am that way w/ firearms too.

strp 3 ? Are you goinh to get some hooker to work on your AK you.   Hookers punch  too

Hookers at the build party...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#39]
    Thank u Mods for pinning this!!!!!
just got done making another 24" rivet squeezer

saturnmissiles came by tonight to get his kit demilled he is ready for a flat! i have been working late every night this week trying to get caught up and get things together
everyone bring YOUR OWN eye protection...highly recommended
i have got to get another vise and a bench grinder...i have some extra short rivets but no long ones, been trying to find some but no luck..they are like 4.5mm dia and 1.60" long
Norm i really do appreciate u helping out!!!! i have not perfected my long rivet jig i made

Hoohaa it wouldnt hurt to have another press!!! all depends on if u want to lug it
we could use another corded drill also

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:43:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:31:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Ok I'll bring two corded drills (one 1/2" and one 3/8") and the 12 ton press.

I could also bring my bench grinder (cheapy HF unit, underpowered but it gets the job done) and my 5" vise.  What do you think?  Have anywhere to mount it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#42]
hoohaa that would be perfect!!! u bring it we will mount it LOL

me223 i guess i should have put this in the hometown section
it is going to be a blast! i love building them and there is nothing better than helping someone else get that feeling too....well almost nothing better

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Just to let you know, HF has 5" vises on sale for 29.99 until the 27th if you're interested.  I've heard they are actually decent vises.  I'll be bringing mine with some mounting hardware.

I'm also thinking about picking up a drill press from HF, they're on sale for $40.

Does anyone have a drill doctor by any chance?  I have lots of bits that are chewed up that we could use if they were sharpened.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#44]
I have some flats that should arrive tomorrow (Friday).  Depending on what time they arrive will determine if I can make it on Friday.  Otherwise I will be there on Saturday.  I will bring what I can to help out.  Can't wait.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#45]
So are you setting up a grill on Sat. .... ?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#46]
i wasnt going to until the final build party...but i might if u guys want to bring some stuff then i can go get one easy
i just bought another bench grinder(have 2 now) and that $40 drill press....why not, i can always use one
got all the stuff at the shop now....so we are ready
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#48]
had a guy come by tonight and we are building as i type!!
i am really looking forward to this
i need someone to bring some furniture that i can refinish tho as i want u guys to see it.....if ya got a kit that ur going to build and make look new please bring the wood

i have already started on the jack and coke
feel free to call if ya need to
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll bring some furniture tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#50]
So what progress have you guys made?

pics?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top