Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » SKS
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/6/2006 10:27:01 AM EDT
I had a firing misfunction this weekend, and noticed that the firing pin was sticking out abnormally far. When I broke down the bolt assembly, I noticed that the firing pin had snapped right where it begins to taper, and ridden up the spring, wedging itself in the firing pin hole at the end of its travel. The pin end was easy enough to remove, but....

My question is this: how in the world can I get a replacement firing pin? I'd like an identical pin, but in the worst case could it be replaced with a pin from a later SKS model?

Is there anyone who manufactures/machines dinky little parts like this?

-Tx
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:44:07 AM EDT
Aimsurplus sells replacement firing pins for 5 bucks... I don't know where you can find a russian one specifically if you are that diehard on keeping it originally... You will probably have a very hard time finding a Russian one and no one is ever gonna know the difference anyway... I don't know what country this one is from, but it will work in your sks.

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Parts.html
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:08:32 AM EDT
Yeah the more I think about it, the stupider being anal about this part gets.

I have the thing to shoot.

Good call.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:49:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 10:53:02 AM EDT by ArmedFerret]

Originally Posted By MillerTime85:
Aimsurplus sells replacement firing pins for 5 bucks... I don't know where you can find a russian one specifically if you are that diehard on keeping it originally... You will probably have a very hard time finding a Russian one and no one is ever gonna know the difference anyway... I don't know what country this one is from, but it will work in your sks.

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Parts.html

actually, no it won't. those firing pins come from rifles that did not have the spring-loaded design. a "regular" or non-spring-loaded firing pin normally will not fit or function correctly in a bolt designed for the sprung design.

edited to add photo--the pins AIM sells are the lower russian-type and/or the upper chinese type. the type he broke is the top (early russian) pin. note the major differences.

you may just have to get a whole bolt assembly from another rifle and put it in for shooting.
Page AK-47 » SKS
Top Top