Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2015 11:08:36 PM EDT
About 3-4 years ago I found a barreled SKS receiver in my Dad's shed. He told me that it had come from a parts box in a storage building that a gunsmith had sold.

It was pretty rough but the bore looked brand new so I decided to fix it, I bought all the parts but couldn't get the bottom metal to snap in, I went seeking advice online and like an idiot listened to the "use a dremel" advice.
After getting everything finished I realized what I had done because when you fire it, it comes loose.

Anyway I messed it up and lost interest and to the back of the safe it went..

Now that I'm a little more knowledgeable I'd like to fix it, I know a great welder but I need some detailed pics of the part that needs to be fixed so that I can reshape it.

Not sure if what I'm requesting is completely clear but I don't know how else to explain it.

I appreciate any help.

Barreled action as I found it.

UPDATE: Got the rifle together with the new latch, looks to be good to go. I'll be shooting it tomorrow to find out for sure.

Also replaced the beat up stock (had a split in it) with a brand new one I've had for 2-3 years. More pics to follow
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

About 3-4 years ago I found a barreled SKS receiver in my Dad's shed. He told me that it had come from a parts box in a storage building that a gunsmith had sold.

It was pretty rough but the bore looked brand new so I decided to fix it, I bought all the parts but couldn't get the bottom metal to snap in, I went seeking advice online and like an idiot listened to the "use a dremel" advice.

After getting everything finished I realized what I had done because when you fire it, it comes loose.

Anyway I messed it up and lost interest and to the back of the safe it went.

Now that I'm a little more knowledgeable I'd like to fix it, I know a great welder but I need some detailed pics of the part that needs to be fixed so that I can reshape it.

Not sure if what I'm requesting is completely clear but I don't know how else to explain it.

I appreciate any help.

View Quote
What did you grind?

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
On the back of the receiver, the protrusion that goes downward and holds the trigger group to the rifle.

The trigger group pops loose when fired.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]
PolyTech,Norinco,Yugo?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely Chinese, I'm pretty sure its a Norinco
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#5]
OK give me a few. I am no master drafter so it takes me a bit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK give me a few. I am no master drafter so it takes me a bit.
View Quote

Hey, I appreciate anything I can get, take your time. Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:18:28 AM EDT
[#8]

That doesn't look like mine? Like at all.

Let me go look at it, be right back.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Completely my fault, I should have described it better, it's the little nub that I'm pointing at.

Sorry about that.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:47:45 AM EDT
[#11]

No freaking way, thanks.

ETA: sold out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:48:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#13]

You sir, are awesome.

I had no idea that it was replaceable, just added it to my cart and seeing if they have anything else while I'm paying for shipping.

Thanks.

I assume you just push that pin out on the side?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:03:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Yep
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:06:04 AM EDT
[#15]

That thing is really in there too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Got the pin out that latch isn't cooperating.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:46:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Got it
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:59:34 AM EDT
[#18]
That is the ticket.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Chinese SKS w/ spike bayonet but it does not say Norinco....great weapon, shoots great..I prefer it to my AK's.....
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I never remember off the top of my head which one it is, but the trigger group will not latch into the receiver unless the TG is either on safe or fire.

Imagine if that's the reason why you broke out the Dremel in the first place
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I never remember off the top of my head which one it is, but the trigger group will not latch into the receiver unless the TG is either on safe or fire.

View Quote
Fire

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, I knew better than that at least.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks like a Sino Soviet receiver, does it take a blade bayonet or spike? If it takes a Spike, it's a Norinco... Norincos have stamped parts and the barrels are pinned instead of screwed in. Do you have all the parts? The trigger group and bolts are the hardest parts to find and most expensive.

BTW - When you say your looking for a Gas Cylinder, do you mean the gastube that the Piston Rides in that holds the upper handgaurd? Tapco sells aftermarket's and Numrich should have an Original. In a pinch you can buy a Tapco one, drive the pin out, remove escushion and plastic handgaurds, replace with original wooden part, reassemble and GTG.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:31:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks like a Sino Soviet receiver, does it take a blade bayonet or spike? If it takes a Spike, it's a Norinco... Norincos have stamped parts and the barrels are pinned instead of screwed in. Do you have all the parts? The trigger group and bolts are the hardest parts to find and most expensive.

BTW - When you say your looking for a Gas Cylinder, do you mean the gastube that the Piston Rides in that holds the upper handgaurd? Tapco sells aftermarket's and Numrich should have an Original. In a pinch you can buy a Tapco one, drive the pin out, remove escushion and plastic handgaurds, replace with original wooden part, reassemble and GTG.
View Quote

Back when I had one of these parts, the Tapco tube had the plastic guard pinned directly to a radial notch in the tube. It was not possible without some extensive work to install the stamped ferrules from a standard tube to retain a wood guard.

If your LGS has a parts bin, you may be surprised what you find. Mine did, and I found quite a few SKS parts in there, including a complete Yugo HG/gas tube that I got for $10.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 2:56:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have all the parts now but didn't originally, not sure what it came with originally.

I have a Tapco gas cylinder/tube on it now, like mancat said, you can't use a wooden handguard on a factory Tapco.

I'll post some more pics, it's a mutt.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:02:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Tapcos don't have a pinned escusion that comes off so you can slide the handgaurd off? I was gonna say they make a cheesegrater HG that look pretty good if your building a Franken SKS. I hate the rail on the Tapco gastubes, they get in the way when using irons a bit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:14:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Tapcos don't have a pinned escusion that comes off so you can slide the handgaurd off? I was gonna say they make a cheesegrater HG that look pretty good if your building a Franken SKS. I hate the rail on the Tapco gastubes, they get in the way when using irons a bit.
View Quote

I cut them off

The tapcos are just pastic that's pinned on.

</a>" />

More pics coming.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:17:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Pitted pretty badly but here are the markings." />
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:19:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I used a cold blue on the barreled receiver but I'm not overly happy with it.

I have a brand new stock and handguard that I plan to use if I ever find a factory gas tube.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Is the stock original, it is cut for a blade bayonet. Look at the bottom front of the stock, the thin deep slot is for the blade, wider shallow slot for a spike. The markings on the receiver I believe are Sino Soviet, and a blade bayonet is correct for the gun. Looks fine, have fun with it! Good Job.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is the stock original, it is cut for a blade bayonet. Look at the bottom front of the stock, the thin deep slot is for the blade, wider shallow slot for a spike. The markings on the receiver I believe are Sino Soviet, and a blade bayonet is correct for the gun. Looks fine, have fun with it! Good Job.
View Quote

Thanks, the stock is one I got from Sarco, it's cut for a spike

Forgive my ignorance, what's a Sino-Soviet?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Going to start updating the OP rather than everywhere else.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sino-Soviet SKS's are the early Chinese SKS's made with Russian purchased parts, machinery, etc. They closely resemble a Russian SKS, heavy well made stock, Blade Bayonet, Milled parts, etc. The Chinese eventually ramped up production numbers, cut corners, used stamped parts, spike bayo's, etc. Russian, Yugo, Romanian, Sino Soviet SKS's are beefy and well constructed. If you had one of these and a Norinco side by side, you would notice the difference in quality. There is nothing wrong with the Norincos, they shoot just fine....they just aren't as robust.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sino-Soviet SKS's are the early Chinese SKS's made with Russian purchased parts, machinery, etc. They closely resemble a Russian SKS, heavy well made stock, Blade Bayonet, Milled parts, etc. The Chinese eventually ramped up production numbers, cut corners, used stamped parts, spike bayo's, etc. Russian, Yugo, Romanian, Sino Soviet SKS's are beefy and well constructed. If you had one of these and a Norinco side by side, you would notice the difference in quality. There is nothing wrong with the Norincos, they shoot just fine....they just aren't as robust.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So its a military piece, not a commercial copy? Is there any way to date it?
Kind of bums me out that I had to use Norinco parts to complete it, though I suppose if it was complete I never would have ended up with it anyway.

The cold blue is wearing very easily and doesn't do much to prevent corrosion so I need to find something to coat it with. Thinking maybe alumahyde or something similar.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I think Survivor's SKS forums had serial number data for the Sino Soviet SKS's, has something to do with the number inside the triangle. Yours appears to be 26 but I can't make it out well, I used to frequent that site but lost interest in SKS's other than shooting them. Just type the forum name into a search engine and look around there, they have all the SKS varients broken down into subsections Russian, Albanian, Yugoslavian, Romanian, Chinese, etc. Obviously look in the Chinese subsection and there should be a tacked thread about Sino Soviet SKS's. The collector's are real fond of them aond I guess some are worth more due to being assembled with surplus Russian parts. Oh, they have a mini EE and it's all SKS parts usually, you most likely if signing up to the site will find someone to help you locate all the right parts.

ETA - I'd buy a Stock cut for a blade bayonet for that, a cleaning rod, blade bayonet and source an original or OEM gastube assembly. They are out there, guys are always bubba gumping SKS's or Tapco fucking them into those hideous Stocks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think Survivor's SKS forums had serial number data for the Sino Soviet SKS's, has something to do with the number inside the triangle. Yours appears to be 26 but I can't make it out well, I used to frequent that site but lost interest in SKS's other than shooting them. Just type the forum name into a search engine and look around there, they have all the SKS varients broken down into subsections Russian, Albanian, Yugoslavian, Romanian, Chinese, etc. Obviously look in the Chinese subsection and there should be a tacked thread about Sino Soviet SKS's. The collector's are real fond of them aond I guess some are worth more due to being assembled with surplus Russian parts. Oh, they have a mini EE and it's all SKS parts usually, you most likely if signing up to the site will find someone to help you locate all the right parts.

ETA - I'd buy a Stock cut for a blade bayonet for that, a cleaning rod, blade bayonet and source an original or OEM gastube assembly. They are out there, guys are always bubba gumping SKS's or Tapco fucking them into those hideous Stocks.
View Quote

Found an original gas tubes today, probably overpaid but whatever *shrugs*.

I'll likely keep an eye out for a blade bayonet and stock at KCR next week.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Yep it's either a Sino Soviet or early all-Chinese production, mid-50s late-60s. The giveaway for both is the long-lug threaded barrel.

Suvivor's is a pretty good board, been there almost ten years. You will get good help if you plan on doing an original restore. Bubbas are not as easily appreciated. It looks like you're on the right path.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Yep it's either a Sino Soviet or early all-Chinese production, mid-50s late-60s. The giveaway for both is the long-lug threaded barrel.

Suvivor's is a pretty good board, been there almost ten years. You will get good help if you plan on doing an original restore. Bubbas are not as easily appreciated. It looks like you're on the right path.

Also since you said you basically found it in a barn/shed, I would look for import marks. There is always the possibility it was brought back by a GI from Vietnam.. Unlikely but more than a few SKSes were brought back, papered or otherwise. Doesn't really matter without the paperwork to go with it, but if it lacks any import marks whatsoever, the history becomes potentially interesting.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Also since you said you basically found it in a barn/shed, I would look for import marks. There is always the possibility it was brought back by a GI from Vietnam.. Unlikely but more than a few SKSes were brought back, papered or otherwise. Doesn't really matter without the paperwork to go with it, but if it lacks any import marks whatsoever, the history becomes potentially interesting.
View Quote

Yeah, there is an import marking on the barrel, I can't really make it out though. Something California.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#40]

A little late but I just remembered this thread and thought I'd update with the mostly finished product. I still need a cleaning rod and a refinish of the metal. It's just a cheap cold blue currently.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#41]
That looks really nice, I was wondering where you found the stock?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#42]
That looks awesome. I would vote for some other type of blue for the receiver - maybe Oxpho or something - over Alumahyde. You could even rust blue it.

You should also grab some Flitz metal polish, and polish the bolt carrier and bolt. That stuff is amazing; use it on all my SKSs. It removes oxidation without harming the metal.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#43]
She's beautiful, great job!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Thanks everyone.

Quoted:
That looks really nice, I was wondering where you found the stock?
View Quote

I bought it from Sarco a few years ago,
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Very nice, I have always liked the sks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:20:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Very nice, I have always liked the sks.
View Quote

Thanks, It needs a refinish but I can't bring myself to spend the money.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top