Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/22/2005 3:48:00 PM EDT
My bolt carrier is popping out of the rails. Someone mentioned installing a buffer.

Can someone please point in the direction of obtaining one of these "buffers". I must be to new to understand

thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
go look around on tapco

all they are is a piece of hard rubber-like stuff that sits at the end of your recoil spring, and it keeps the bolt carrier from hitting the rear trunnion and makes the gun cycle more quietly and there's less recoil. likewise, the bolt carrier cant move back as far, and wont be able to pop out of the rear cut out.

good luck
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
you can also put a small tack inside the recoil assembly
that will stop the carrier from comming back as far
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
BlackJack Buffers

i have one in every AK i own
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
BlackJack Buffers

i have one in every AK i own

These are the ones I use, they are slimer than the other type on the market.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
you can also put a small tack inside the recoil assembly
that will stop the carrier from comming back as far

Where exactly would you put it?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#6]
As i mentioned to you in the email about the buffer, i took some photos so you can better understand the function of the buffer in this instance. The buffer takes up the space where the carrier pops out, its the easiest fix for this problem and it also gives you less recoil "so they say, i cant tell the difference with them or without them). The first pic shows how a carrier pops out ( whats happening is the hammer is pushing up on the bottom of the carrier pushing it right out where you install the carrier), what i think is that the hammer and trigger holes in the receivers are a tad bit too high. I had this same problem with my AMD65 i built, i first grinded and polished both the hammer face and the bottom of the carrier, it helped very little, when i installed the buffer it worked like a champ. McM

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
theres a slot in the back of the recoil ass that the back of the carrier slides into
install your carrier and spring pull the carrier all the way back and see where it hits inside your recoil ass just put a small 1/8 in tall tack there and you will have no more probs \

btw im not saying dont get a buffer cause they do make the gun function better
if you have the funds do both but its nice to know if the buffer wears out or breaks you can still fire the gun

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Motorcityman

Thanks for the info.

Are we talking a thumbtack?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

btw im not saying dont get a buffer cause they do make the gun function better
if you have the funds do both but its nice to know if the buffer wears out or breaks you can still fire the gun

Yeah, I have a couple of extra buffers in my shooting bag. BTW...I cut up my wifes teflon cutting board and made my own buffers...it was just the right thickness. She ask me the other day if I had seen the cutting board.....my answer "No honey"
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yeah, I have a couple of extra buffers in my shooting bag. BTW...I cut up my wifes teflon cutting board and made my own buffers...it was just the right thickness. She ask me the other day if I had seen the cutting board.....my answer "No honey"

I'm sitting here laughing my ass off because i did the same damn thing, not to make buffers but i used that cutting board to make other things, shes not my wife yet but she asked me "wheres our cutting board, have you seen it" and my answer was the same as yours..."
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:16:28 AM EDT
[#11]
can anyone post dimensions of the buffers so i can try to make one from my wife's cutting board as well?

thanks

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I have made several out of 1/4" to 3/8" sheet rubber for the amd-65s as they had that problem with several of them. Buffer installed, no more problem..
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top